Threadfin Rainbow Fish and Panda Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if these fish where hard to care for and if the tetras in the picture will attack their fins? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408304119.793706.jpg

I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with panda tetras? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

While I'm here, are balloon mollies genetically altered to have such large bellies or are they naturally like that?

They've been bred to look like that, the same for balloon rams, angels, gouramis, etc. :(

Eeeek, alright, I don't like supporting genetically modifying animals even if I like them. What about the rainbow fish? Are they modified?

Threadfins are naturally occurring. They tend to stay up near the surface so they're good if you're looking for a pretty top dweller.

Threadfins are awesome, but a bit fragile in regards to water quality and transportation stress. Also, that's a rip off for a very common tetra. If pet smart is the only retailer around I guess you're kinda stuck.

I know a good fs about an hour away. They have the rainbow fish and I'm buying most my fish from there. I'm not big on petsmart, I know the rainbow fish are fragile, but I want to chance it

Threadfins

Threadfins are beautiful fish but I believe they should be kept in a species only tank. They are easily intimated by other fish, the males fins can be damaged by fin nipping fish. Because of their small mouths they have a lot of trouble competing for enough food also I find they require higher temp. I had mine in a tank w/ 78% temp. And they didnt seem very active I raised the temp. To 84 and the males are flashing constantly I also allowed some green water to get started in the tank and now I have more fry than I can count. My problem is feeding the fry. When they hatch they are smaller than a pin head and I have to feed them infustoria for 2-3 weeks

I've kept Threadfins off and on for 20 years and for the last 5 years I've had a large school in my 220g planted angelfish tank. I've never kept them in a species tank and have found them to be quite hardy. Mine also spawn off and on in my fissidens fontanus moss after water changes using cooler water. I have angels, loaches, diamond, cardinal, and runnynose tetras, along with a few other species without any problems. Being mostly upper tank dwellers they are very quick to get food even before the angels get up to it. I just do weekly 50% WC to keep water quality good and don't let nitrates raise above 15ppms. My tank temp is 78 to 80 degrees.

Agreed with Rivercats. My Threadfins have been flourishing in my planted 75g community tank, alongside angels, kribs, loaches, cardinal tetras, cherry barbs, opaline gourami, and a red tail black shark. I keep the tank at 82F and do 50% water changes weekly. They get crushed flakes and frozen food on alternating days and never seem to have issues getting their share.

Yes threadfins are amazing. Fortunately here I got them @ $1 ea. But they super sensitive to water parameters. Also feeding them is a problem. I can only feed them azoo micro pellets. They ignore anything larger. Funny thing about them[as with many species] is whenever they see me anywhere near, they will start skimming the water surface even if its not feeding time.

Geez, fish must be expensive where I live... Our threadfins are $4.99. Maybe I'll try to find someone with young they need to get rid of

An awesome fish! I'd recommend getting at least 1 female per male (my strategy with this fish), or 2-3 females per male (recommended on many fish websites). They display a better, more natural behavior this way. If you could get 10 or more of these, it'd be even better.

Geez, fish must be expensive where I live... Our threadfins are $4.99. Maybe I'll try to find someone with young they need to get rid of

4.99 each or for a pair?

Breading these while not super easy, isn't too difficult either. I'm sure you can find a breeder in your vicinity. Sometimes people will also sell/give away the eggs, but then hatching and raising the fry can be an ordeal, esp if you are working 40 hrs a week.

Well I have school during the day, then work afterwards so that may not be an option for me then, and it is $4.99 each. The fish at that store are rather expensive, but they are all in very good health. They are an hour drive from my house but the only thing closer is a mini petsmart with a very small fish apartment and compared to the other fish prices you'll have mentioned, they too are ridiculous... It must be my location, I'm in Texas.

Well if I am getting each penny's worth I wouldn't really be worried as long as I don't end up paying a ridiculously exorbitant amount. An hour's drive again may not be a problem provided you get the fish in a breather bag, or they pump some O2 in the bag.

They always pump O2 into the bags and then double bag the fish to be sure, the rubber bands they put on those things are so tight I have to use scissors to get them off!!! Everyone I've met there is pretty trustworthy and cool, they all seem to know what they are doing, I feel like they don't try to cheat me out of my money either, all the fish I've bought there tend to last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom