Tiger Nerites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
attachment.php

I wonder why they call that a tiger? It doesn't look much like a tiger pattern. It looks like a tracked nerite (like tire tracks), but with more and thicker tracks. What they call it is what they call it, but I don't see the 'tiger' aspect. Maybe I'm missing something. If I am, let me know, because I'd like to learn.

attachment.php

I wonder why they call that a tiger? It doesn't look much like a tiger pattern. It looks like a tracked nerite (like tire tracks), but with more and thicker tracks. What they call it is what they call it, but I don't see the 'tiger' aspect. Maybe I'm missing something. If I am, let me know, because I'd like to learn.
it's orange and black, and tigers have that aspect. tigers also have stripes

Give it 24 hours, if it doesn't move, take it back and get one that is alive... Just my experience here, I could be wrong...

My Nerite doesn't move much. It often is motionless for hours, maybe 12 hours. When it does move it moves very, very slowly, even for a snail. The Nerites in the tank where I bought it are the same slow movers. I just look closely and make sure its little antenae are moving and its still alive.

Sometimes it will be motionless at the water's edge or even above the water and I take that as an indication it doesn't like the water conditions and I need to change the water.

I believe its right where they dropped it in, I don't think it has ever moved since he got it home...

mr.waffles1842 said:
hes been sitting on the gravel for 36 hours, and i see his antennae. ive heard nerites are really active...

Maybe it needs to get used to it's new home. You don't have salt in the water, right? I would test the water and see if it doesn't like the pH or something...

PH shouldn't matter I don't think. Did you acclimate him to the tank or just drop him in? I'm not sure if they need to be acclimated slowly like fish but I drip acclimated mine anyway. I have two horned zebra nerites and they are active little buggers and by now they should be moving. If you're not sure you can gently pick it up and smell it; if it smells bad it's dead.

Good news! :)
Phi has finally started to move! i have no salt right now. hopefully hes feeling better. BTW Phi is my snail.

btw, what algae does these guys eat? its been aawhile since ive had a nerite. ive heard some of em eat solely algae...

Good to hear, i believe nerites munch on most tank algae types as well as uneaten food that gets by the fish. I have 8 in my 55 gal and they are all over the place and with that and fertilizing my plants, no algae to be seen, I don't even have to scrape the back glass anymore.... I have six red onion Nerites and two black baseball hat Nerites

do they eat spot algae? just wondering. i have a problem with it, no matter how little food i add, how little time the lights are on. im scraping the glass with a rag 2 a week!

mr.waffles1842 said:
do they eat spot algae? just wondering. i have a problem with it, no matter how little food i add, how little time the lights are on. im scraping the glass with a rag 2 a week!

My nerites eat spot algae. Idk if yours will though

If he gets up and moving, I would say definitely, you might see clean tracks through it for a couple days until he makes enough passes

Back
Top Bottom