Tiger oscar tankmates ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In another thread the OP is asking way one oscar is 8 inches and the other is 4 inches but yet your still saying his set up can work.

No it can't

I try and be nice and say not for long in a 80g but what I really mean is in a temporary setting but that's it

No I am sorry it is cruel to have all those fish and in a 80g. It needs to be said 80g is not big enough not even close for his fish

Don't feed them feeder fish. They are about as nutritious as paper and commonly carry disease. Unless it's some extra fish from your own spawn that your getting rid of once in awhile I wouldn't advise it.

I agree, but they do need to chase prey, considering they are predators. I would never buy feeders for my monsters, I have a 40b with livebearers, I gut load the fry that hang out in one section of floating breeder plants, capture the plant and float it in one of my cichlid tanks until they have demolished the fry. Each tank gets their feeder treat every 2-3 weeks.

They also get night crawlers that fall into the tank from my aquaponics system. I think this is where I think I get misinterpreted- if you're aware of how to create an ecosystem or working biotope you have the benefit of the worlds most natural filter, a working root system.... This makes all the difference in the world when you're ruling a tank out because of bioload and not aggression- but it takes a lot of time, labor and research... Just trying to spread the word

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are an ambush predator and are omnivorous. They won't chase prey in the wild. Theyll open their big mouths and grab something if it happens by with maybe a lunge but they don't chase. They eat mostly insects and fruit and nuts and stuff that fall in the water.

I also have a large root ball of plants in my tank for filtration. It would take a lot more than we have room for around our tanks to keep up with an oscar

I also have a large root ball of plants in my tank for filtration. It would take a lot more than we have room for around our tanks to keep up with an oscar

I have these baskets set up as the cover of my 150g, my first attempt at passive aquaponics. I modified my pond filter to create a hydroponic ebb and flow system along with a 6 planter extension system and the money saved by growing my own veggies has been eye opening

Attachments

• 1393028015402.jpg
    1393028015402.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 78
I see you keep throwing this word "biotope" around...what exactly are you calling a biotope? Because to me, the word "biotope" from an aquaria stand point, refers to keeping species from the same stretch of a river together, along with the same habitat: same substrate, common materials (eg. stones, driftwood, etc), as well as even plant species. And there are very few on here that have created a true biotope tank, as it's not an easy thing to do, and I can almost guarantee no one has a true oscar biotope tank....

I see you keep throwing this word "biotope" around...what exactly are you calling a biotope? Because to me, the word "biotope" from an aquaria stand point, refers to keeping species from the same stretch of a river together, along with the same habitat: same substrate, common materials (eg. stones, driftwood, etc), as well as even plant species. And there are very few on here that have created a true biotope tank, as it's not an easy thing to do, and I can almost guarantee no one has a true oscar biotope tank....

And that would be why I say possible but not practical or applicable to your average fish fanatic. This is a section of my 150g American cichlid community (Amazon blackwater re-creation) along the top are baskets with semi aquatic/ tropical vegetation using passive aquaponics. Yes I use driftwood and rock from the area in Florida where my Oscars were caught.... Though I did deviate using a few fake plants because of my silver dollars. Once I have my baskets properly built up I plan on tucking a glass front critter keeper in set up for a fantasy PAC man frog or a couple dart frogs.... It took me a year and a half of research and acquisition before I even hardscaped it and is still very much a work in progress :)

Attachments

• 1393029321363.jpg
    1393029321363.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 89
I see the word biotope get thrown around a lot and it's very rarely used correctly. You may have a biotope-type tank, but you do not have a true biotope tank. I may seem like I'm being nit-picky, but like i've mentioned earlier, 90% of the forum is beginner or novice keepers and generally will take whatever you say as FACT. Most won't go research on their own and take advise that is hypothetical or "possible" and try it out without the experience to back it up. Obviously the final result will be failure. Don't play on hypotheticals and "possibilities", play on what is going to work for anyone. Don't advise something that will only be possible for those with the experience or know-how to do so, because most of the people on this forum are here learning and won't have that experience. Rant over.

I see the word biotope get thrown around a lot and it's very rarely used correctly. You may have a biotope-type tank, but you do not have a true biotope tank. I may seem like I'm being nit-picky, but like i've mentioned earlier, 90% of the forum is beginner or novice keepers and generally will take whatever you say as FACT. Most won't go research on their own and take advise that is hypothetical or "possible" and try it out without the experience to back it up. Obviously the final result will be failure. Don't play on hypotheticals and "possibilities", play on what is going to work for anyone. Don't advise something that will only be possible for those with the experience or know-how to do so, because most of the people on this forum are here learning and won't have that experience. Rant over.

Perfect Freakgecko. I couldn't have said it better! Thanks.

I just talked to several fish experts at a wide range of stores big and small same answers two water changes a week of 25% rinse hob filters every two weeks rinse canister once a month two oscars and two plecos is fine upgrade tank in a few months no other tank mates and people suggesting 50% water change or over are dumb starts pulling out the good bacteria anyways I won't be looking for advise off here much any more they told me if two oscars where full grown in a 80g that would be a problem I don't know how many times I have stated that I'm upgrading my tank also I said what tank mates would go with an oscar I didn't say I intended on buying any tank mates at this time god for bid I find out what might work when I get a bigger tank

I just talked to several fish experts at a wide range of stores big and small same answers two water changes a week of 25% rinse hob filters every two weeks rinse canister once a month two oscars and two plecos is fine upgrade tank in a few months no other tank mates and people suggesting 50% water change or over are dumb starts pulling out the good bacteria anyways I won't be looking for advise off here much any more they told me if two oscars where full grown in a 80g that would be a problem I don't know how many times I have stated that I'm upgrading my tank also I said what tank mates would go with an oscar I didn't say I intended on buying any tank mates at this time god for bid I find out what might work when I get a bigger tank

Okay dude follow their advice. Please show proof to me that a 50% wc pull out beneficial bacteria.

This is the exact reason why the people with real knowledge quit talking here. Because they over the best advice possible and yall wanna believe a fish store. I hope your fish stay healthy.

Perfect Freakgecko. I couldn't have said it better! Thanks.

Some peoples kids, lol.... I remember saying something about the expense of it and the difficulty of it, you'd think in a 'discussion about cichlids' that suggestions would be 'discussed' intelligently by those that have first hand experiences to share, not simply badgering someone because they've had good luck and have been able to save and rehome several ebjd using a 29g as a heal and grow to 5 inches.

The only difference between a beginner and an expert is a conversation and a first time

That's the problem your not listening. 80g is to small it's a grow out tank at best problem is one of be oscars is already 8 inches meaning your about out of time in your 80g
Second your not stating what size tank you would upgrade too a 125 still a little small for that many fish.

Last Somebody like aqua and the fish store who both consistently give bad advice and you go with it because it's what you want to hear

And this is what happens when you listen to local fish stores ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393049223.758179.jpg it's sad we see it all the time and we give advice to try and avoid this

Lol hey at least these fish experts and pets stores I talked to where nice and could talk to them for over 20 minutes and I dont get called dumb or cruel I'm sure people wouldn't be coping attitude or calling people cruel to there face and like I have stated 80g wasn't planned on long term and not that I got some other advise I'll be looking at 300g drilled for sump

I all ready know what happens when you listen to fish stores lost a 200 dollar sting ray think I wanted that nope but when you get back and forth answers and advice what do you do no wonder not as many people own fish anymore and like I stated did I say I was getting tank mates no I asked about which ones when I get a bigger tank did I state I was keeping the oscars in a 80g for ever no

Lol hey at least these fish experts and pets stores I talked to where nice and could talk to them for over 20 minutes and I dont get called dumb or cruel I'm sure people wouldn't be coping attitude or calling people cruel to there face and like I have stated 80g wasn't planned on long term and not that I got some other advise I'll be looking at 300g drilled for sump

Who ever called you dumb or cruel is out of line. Most here are trying to help you understand your tank is too small for your stock.

I all ready know what happens when you listen to fish stores lost a 200 dollar sting ray think I wanted that nope but when you get back and forth answers and advice what do you do no wonder not as many people own fish anymore and like I stated did I say I was getting tank mates no I asked about which ones when I get a bigger tank did I state I was keeping the oscars in a 80g for ever no

You take all that advice and research for yourself. There isn't a wrong or right answer here. It's all constructive criticism. Were trying to help and that's all. That's what tis forum is for

I never called you names i stay away from personal attacks as this serves no purpose.

Don't misinterpret my position I said keeping that many tank mates in a 80g was cruel but only if it's long term

Most of my disagreement was with Aqua who is always incomplete or assumes too much I asked a couple of questions but this thread went off subject for a while

Is there en echo in here yes I realize it's over stocked not like I can just go buy a 300g tank with out clearing it with my landlord as I'm in an apartment second floor let them a message and if I can't my lease is up in a few months anyways so rent a house get bigger tank all good

Back
Top Bottom