Tire Track Eels and Baby Whales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Concubine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
there are two fish that i was wondering about; diet wise. first:tire track eels. i've heard and read that they will engulf small, live fish when they are large enough. but what do they eat when they're small? i've also read that they eat earthworms and bloodworms. anything else?i know that they might not eat for weeks when newly reinstated into an aquarium.
second:babywhales. i have been told that they will usually except any meaty items. anyhting more specific? any informative posts will be greatly appreciated.

i am new to this forum and this is my first post and i must say i am impressed by this board. :n00b:

I had a baby whale once in my 90g. After a few months, the whale lived in 1/2 of the tank & the other fish in the other half. He was a holy terror!

You have heard correctly....and small, meaty items are fairly well accepted by both, although both seem to have a particular fondness for worms of various sorts (tubifex, bloodworms, earthworms). I have never failed to have a tyretrack eel eat within 5 days of being introduced to a new aquarium, but the momyrids can be a bit tricky to get established.

[center:48f248e6b7] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Concubine! :n00b: [/center:48f248e6b7]
Baby whale (for a second I thought I was reading a different thread)?!?!? Can someone please post a pic or a good link? Thanks :D

Welcome to AA!!!

I have had my Tire Track Eel for over a 15 months. When i got him he was only 4 inchs long and he ate frozen brine. with in a week i was hand feeding him live guppys. well he doesn't eat out of my hand anymore. but he is fun to watch hunt. for the most part he eats feeder guppys. he is about 8 inchs not. the only fish i have found that he didn't get along with was a Rope Fish i once had. my TTE was always biting him. but other than that he does fine with the other fish and hangs out with my BGK. they hide out together during the day. :D

I do not know anything about the Baby Whales so i cant help you there. (O:

From what I've been told, Baby Whales wont accept flake or pellet foods usually, so stick with frozen and live food. They get rather large, so feeding them live food shouldn't be a problem.

thank you everyone and appreciate the warm welcome. :fadein: AloneyCody: was your TTE still 4 in when he ate the guppies and how big were the guppies?

My tire track eel ate frozen bloodworms. Loved to hunt ghost (glass?) shrimp put in as treats. My school of 10 neon tetras slowly dissappeared over about 4 months as it grew and became accustomed to the tank. It never bothered the larger fish or the zebra danios.

I had a tire track eel for about two months he ate the very day he went into the tank like the minute he went in I had 15 feeder fish in the tank all were headless or eaten by morning, he died a few weeks ago I could'nt get him to eat anything but feeder fish

how big were these eels that ate the feeders? mine is about 5 in and he is quite timmid. i tried frozen bloodworms and he didn't take to them

my tiretrack was about six inches and the feeders were comets about an inch to and inch N a half

Concubine ..

yes my TTE was 4 in. when he first started eating guppies...and they were average size feeder guppies....at first he didn't want to have anything to do with them and i would have to kill them and hold them a few inchs away from him and one day he ate a live one by hand. but over time he has developed his hunting skills and wont eat out of my hand any more... all i can say is it was cool when he did.

:D

Ohh and i remember the first time i put in a ghost shrimp it lasted two days my TTE was still around 4 inchs and he chased the shrimp all over the tank trying to get a hold of him ..well needless to say he got the shrimp....and now when ever i put some in the tank...no matter what time of day it is or if the light is on or off. he comes out and nails one. he really likes ghost shrimp. the only bad thing is that they are more expansive than feeder guppies. 3 for a $1 compared to 7 for a $1..

:D

Concubine said:
you think they can take on a comet goldfish or a rosy red?

Eventually, yes....an 8"-12" TT should be able to manage rosys, and a 16"+ can take small comets (which are not a very good diet item).

Back
Top Bottom