TMRC's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They both look like the standard green to me. Great fish!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They both look like the standard green to me. Great fish!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hope so, i wanted a pair of greens. Im enjoying them alot.

What are the two fish highest above the severum in the middle in the last pic? Horizontal black stripe

Jesse

The two with the horizontal stripes are female cherry barbs, the ones with three vertical bars are Puntius everetti (clown barbs) like hukit said.

Hey hukit, do you have any experience with the clowns? I can't find much info on them or any members here who keep them?

Hey hukit, do you have any experience with the clowns? I can't find much info on them or any members here who keep them?

Yes, I kept them for many years as dithers as they're a larger bodied fish. They are very hardy and active but I never once saw a single spawn? They don't seem to be very popular any longer as I haven't seen them for sale locally with any frequency. They were readily available years ago in my area.

Makes sense. My biggest question was regarding adult size? I've seen some info from a 2008 forum post claiming up to six inches but I've also found max size of around 4", just curious what your experience was. They feed unlike any fish I've kept, its a swirling school type feeding, like sharks.

The largest I've personally kept was a hair under 4", most of mine were around 3.5". I've seen reports of 6" but I've never seen any actual proof of that.

Front tank shots of each of my tanks tonight.
First up, the overgrown nano 5.5 with a fluval ac 20 filter, Diy yeast reactor with separator co2 system, growing Anubias Nana, java fern, caroliniana bacopa, hygrophila corymbosa, dwarf hairgrass, with driftwood and 3 fancy guppies

Next the 29 grow out with a tetra 30 filter and an aqueon 30 filter. 2 severums, 1 firemouth, 4 clown barbs, 8 cherry barbs

20 gallon high saltwater reef, fluval ac 30, 225 gph power head, 25 lbs of live rock, 20 lbs of sand, 5 hermits and a mia royal gramma

60 gallon mbuna tank, 1 aqueon 75 filter, 1 marine land 350 filter, 175 gph powerhead, 4 electric yellows, 5 yellowtail acei, 1 metriaclima greshaki, 2 peacocks, 1 rainbow shark, 1 convict(I know....)

Today we added 2 peppermint shrimp and an Indigo Dottyback. I also found a court jester goby they didn't know they had. The dotty is around 2 inches and the goby is only around 1 in, maybe 1 1/4. The Dottyback ate mysis shrimp earlier right after getting settled.

Quick shot of the new Otto I commissioned for mild algae cleanup in my planted nano.

Also got a nice shot of one of my severums.

Firemouth shot

And a nice hello from one of my cherry barbs

Its a very exciting time in my fish keeping portfolio, lots of first time fish for me including the new saltwater additions (see previous page, last post if you missed them), along with my first Otto. I'm really enjoying the ride and everything appears healthy. I'll try to get a shot of the indigo dottyback and court jester goby tonight if possible.

Nice pics! Is there just one oto? Great little fish once they get settled in (y)

Yes just the one. I was thinking they preferred groups but since its a 5.5 gallon I really could only do the one. Its my first Otto so if you have any need to know tips fire away. And thanks!

How big is your FM? Is he growing fast or at a so-so pace?

Mine have only grown an inch, maybe 1.5 inches since i got them like 4-5 months ago. The Texas females in with them surpassed them within 2 months even though they were at least an inch smaller when i got them...

Also, does yours seem to turn off the color a random times? Sometimes i will look at the tank and he will be off in his corner with amazing red belly colors, ten minutes later he looks like the one in the pic you posted. Very temperamental coloration from my experience. Although i have noticed that they get suuuuper intense reds when they are in a serious sparring session with another FM. Mine have also taught the Texases to flare their gills.

Just some stuff I've noticed.... :p

Your SW tank looks good, imma jump into that around my B-Day in January...

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Yes just the one. I was thinking they preferred groups but since its a 5.5 gallon I really could only do the one. Its my first Otto so if you have any need to know tips fire away. And thanks!

I'm old, could you remind me again what stock is in this tank?

I've found they can be sensitive when first purchased but once established they're rather hardy.

How big is your FM? Is he growing fast or at a so-so pace?

Mine have only grown an inch, maybe 1.5 inches since i got them like 4-5 months ago. The Texas females in with them surpassed them within 2 months even though they were at least an inch smaller when i got them...

Also, does yours seem to turn off the color a random times? Sometimes i will look at the tank and he will be off in his corner with amazing red belly colors, ten minutes later he looks like the one in the pic you posted. Very temperamental coloration from my experience. Although i have noticed that they get suuuuper intense reds when they are in a serious sparring session with another FM. Mine have also taught the Texases to flare their gills.

Just some stuff I've noticed.... :p

Your SW tank looks good, imma jump into that around my B-Day in January...

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

The growth rate has been fast to me, maybe im just used to growing out africans. The fm is keeping par with my sevs growth for now. The firemouth started at around 1.125 inches and is probably around 2.25 inches now in around 2 months. Totally agree about the colors, especially the red hue, its like they can turn it on and off.

I'm old, could you remind me again what stock is in this tank?

I've found they can be sensitive when first purchased but once established they're rather hardy.

Just 3 guppies. Looking to get a few shrimp at some point, its a pretty heavily planted algae buffet for the Otto.

Just 3 guppies. Looking to get a few shrimp at some point, its a pretty heavily planted algae buffet for the Otto.

With that stock you could probably get away with 1 more-I know someone on the site has a 5/5.5g with a few-but sometimes better safe than sorry. In my experience I've found that otos do like to have company but can do quite well on their own.

The growth rate has been fast to me, maybe im just used to growing out africans. The fm is keeping par with my sevs growth for now. The firemouth started at around 1.125 inches and is probably around 2.25 inches now in around 2 months. Totally agree about the colors, especially the red hue, its like they can turn it on and off.

Huh... Mine appears to be a slow grower then?

I do know it has weird genes; it has a folded tail (similar to a Betta Rosetail, i think thats the right type) so i guess that might play a part in it.

Although, ive heard that Sevs arent always the fastest growers so maybe thats why he can keep up with them? Idk...

Back
Top Bottom