Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a little surprise today. I switched this tank over to LED not too long ago. One of the rocks that I put in from a tank I broke down a while ago had some green areas that looked like some kind of encrusting montipora. I looked in today and those are much brighter and look to be a chili pepper or seasons greetings monti. There were also a few patches (that I had never noticed before) of what look to be superman montipora (red and blue) and possibly meteor shower cyphastrea.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...6-01/81CE4C56-5F02-4EDB-8442-CFD313DF62DC.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...6-01/09420785-B0CD-4207-A29B-5D9341376B4D.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...6-01/8688F83A-0759-4133-8306-801D7E25943B.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry for the loss.

Wow, your rocks look great! I love all the coralline! :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm picking up an adult 6" Passer Angel from my LFS tomorrow. The owner had to break down his big tank at home and was selling his fish. The fun thing is going to be him catching it, as they put it (along with other fish) into one of their 10' long Frag tanks in the store. Seems borderline impossible to catch to me, but he assured me that they've done it before.

I got an LED over the summer. Now I have the most amazing corraline algae growing and a tiny soft coral on my live rock that I never thought I had just blooming like crazy. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454877202.560284.jpg

******...I'm looking over everything yesterday and see some white spots on my Purple Tang. I'm thinking this new Passer Angel brought it in, as I have never had any fish display signs since I started this tank up. It doesn't look bad, so I'm hoping to go the "Ich management" route. Too many fish to QT. If it gets bad, I may have to hypo the whole tank.

That's what I do. I also add garlic to the food. My puffer had it a couple weeks ago after adding a new fish. It was gone in a couple days.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's still there unless treated with copper or hypo salinity, though. That always worries me.

I'm almost done adding fish and part of me wants to treat, as it could show up with the last of the additions. That's how my luck goes.

The other part of me thinks maybe it had been in there (not brought in) and the new Angel caused the Purple Tang to stress and it finally showed. That Tang had been the "king" and the Angel just took that, as it will not be bullied. Maybe things will go back to stress-free and it will just stay at "managed". I will have to see how bad it gets now. No other fish are showing signs yet...

It's always there. Healthy fish resist it. The cold virus is always around us. We usually fight it off.

It's not going good...I lost my Lamark Angel a couple days ago. It had looked and acted normal until I found it, so that one shocked me. I lost my new Passer Angel last night and my Magnificent Foxface this morning. Those have looked bad for a couple days.

The somewhat good news is that the rest look okay, or at least not terrible.

I've started bringing down my salinity and plan to do hypo to treat this. My 240 has become a huge QT, as getting all these fish out into big enough smaller tanks can't happen. We shall see how it goes...

I'm battling a touch of it myself. My porcupine puffer has it, but not too bad yet. In the past I've beat it with voogle, which is an immune booster. It makes the fish healthy enough that they fight it off on their own. That's what I'm doing now.

My fish have appeared healthy up to the last 24hrs and then it hits hard. I've dealt with Ich many times over the years and never seen anything like this. It starts off with a few spots the first round and those last for 24-48hrs. They disappear for a few days and then it comes back with a vengeance. Almost Velvet ferocity. I'm on another board and their local fish disease guru says he has heard of a couple other people experiencing this same thing. It's also taking out stronger fish like Angels and Foxfaces and not hitting your typical first casualty fish like Tangs (that have thinner slime coats). It will be interesting to see how it handles hypo.

Won't the hypo kill your corals?

It is a FOWLR with a couple small zoa/Paly colonies. I had one rock recently with some superman monti, meteor shower and chili pepper monti growing. I got it from a free tank breakdown and didn't know it had those. They showed up when I switched to LED. I pulled those into a 10g tank for now.

With a little help, I think we've narrowed this down to both Ich and Brook. I'm unfortunately going to get the remaining fish into my 35g QT and I'm going to treat with Chloroquine Phosphate. Leaving the DT fallow as well. That means pulling lots and lots of rock out of the 240g, as the hawk and green bird wrasse will probably be tough to catch otherwise. No fun.

The remaining survivors are those two plus my Purple, Blonde and Desjardini Tangs and the Rusty Angel.

Lost so far..Passer and Lamark Angels, Harlequin Tusk, Magnificent Foxface.

The Desjardini looks bad. The Blonde looks okay as does the hawk. The Rusty has had spots and some body film. The green bird wrasse is more just body film. The Putple has a little patch on its body. All but the Desjardini are acting normal and eating. The Desjardini eats a little, which is amazing in its condition.

My photobucket account has been acting up and I can't get in, otherwise I'd post pics.

I have been going back and forth with Humblefish (Bobby) over on the R2R forum. He seems to know his fish disease and even he was stumped at first.

Update...I ended up going fallow in the 240g and moved all the fish into QT. I'm treating with Chloroquine Phosphate, Metroplex and Kanaplex. So far, I've lost the Desjardini Tang and Blonde Tang, Magnificent Foxface and all my Angels. My only fish left are the Purple Tang, Green Bird Wrasse, Harlequin Tusk and Long Nose Hawk.

I'm kicking myself for thinking I could trust not QTing a fish from a supposedly disease-free tank. I was probably three fish away from having this tank filled with all of my "reasonable" dream fish. I got so many for such great deals too. It is beyond disheartening at this point. The magic day is May 24th to add fish back in, which seems so far away.

Very frustrating when you lose a fish. It makes you rethink the hobby. Unfortunately in this hobby mistakes result in death. It breaks my heart to think I was responsible for killing one if these beautiful creatures. But I'd you learn from the mistakes it is not in vain.

Just an update...the Purple Tang and Harlequin Tusk are the survivors. I'm keeping the DT fallow for several more weeks, but I am already trying to figure out what to buy for round 3. I always feel weird buying the same kind of fish, but I think I've got to get another Blonde Naso and Green Bird Wrasse.

Back
Top Bottom