Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Tusk has no fear now and swims with the others at times. The Rusty has become a lot more brave at feeding time. Hangs out around the rocks so it can dart in, but is not as sketchy as the first few days.

I'm hoping to get another hogfish at the end of the month when I am out that way again, but may go with a large Angel if a hog is not available.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Interesting stuff...needed to clear out my smaller QT for a deep water Coral Beauty and some kind of purple head damsel/chromis (not sure ID on it) that I picked up for my son's tank. Acclimated the Lamark Angel and added it to the 240g. To date, the Purple Tang is clearly #1 in the pecking order. Any new fish is instantly made aware of this. As I figured, he was on the Lamark with a tail slap almost instantly. The Lamark did not take to the intended intimidation and turned on the Tang and kinda darted at it. Tang tried again and the Lamark did the same thing. Guess who just became king of the tank? :) Not at all what I expected.

Interesting stuff...needed to clear out my smaller QT for a deep water Coral Beauty and some kind of purple head damsel/chromis (not sure ID on it) that I picked up for my son's tank. Acclimated the Lamark Angel and added it to the 240g. To date, the Purple Tang is clearly #1 in the pecking order. Any new fish is instantly made aware of this. As I figured, he was on the Lamark with a tail slap almost instantly. The Lamark did not take to the intended intimidation and turned on the Tang and kinda darted at it. Tang tried again and the Lamark did the same thing. Guess who just became king of the tank? :) Not at all what I expected.

Very interesting!:brows:

Overnight update:
The Lamark was out swimming with the others this morning. I did not see it eat, but it eat well in QT, so I'm not worried at all.

The Lyretail Hogfish on the other hand has just been hanging out in the corner of my larger QT. I kinda half expected it to not make it through the night. It is alive though, so we will see after work today. I'm hoping it is just stress from being shipped overseas, grabbed by the wholesaler in Los Angeles, taken to the LFS and then taken home by me. It has been through a lot in a day, so I guess a little downtime has been earned.

So far, so good with the Lyretail Hogfish. Took a couple days to eat, but is out swimming around now and eats fine. This guy had me more scared than just about any other fish I've purchased in a very long time. I'm relieved it took a turn for the better.

It might be a short lived QT as my connection for corals has a 180g reef tank breakdown this weekend and I might get some fish out of it...not sure exactly what yet though...possibly a Tang or two and I think he doesn't want the One Spot Foxface or Decorated Rabbitfish. We shall see...

I put the Lyretail in tonight and it is back to worry mode. As soon as I got it into the tank, it did the same thing as it did in QT...went nose first against a rock and did not move. Purple Tang swam by it multiple times and did not notice, so I'm hoping that continues and by morning, the Lyretail is moving. I've got the room from dim to dark now, so fingers are crossed...

Well, not the upbeat update I was hoping to give. A couple days ago, the hogfish started hiding in a cave and would not come out to eat. Woke up this morning and my monster brittle star was on it. I think I got an unhealthy one from the start, as it did not ever spend a lot of time out with the other fish. I am considering getting another, but closer to the holidays.

In the meantime, I may do a skimmer and return pump upgrade. I might have a deal on an Eshopps skimmer for cheap and am considering a Jebao DC return pump.

Well, not the upbeat update I was hoping to give. A couple days ago, the hogfish started hiding in a cave and would not come out to eat. Woke up this morning and my monster brittle star was on it. I think I got an unhealthy one from the start, as it did not ever spend a lot of time out with the other fish. I am considering getting another, but closer to the holidays.

In the meantime, I may do a skimmer and return pump upgrade. I might have a deal on an Eshopps skimmer for cheap and am considering a Jebao DC return pump.

I am so sorry to hear about the Hogfish, I hope your eventual new specimen give you better luck. :)

That is exciting about the skimmer and pump upgrade!

I once bought a beautiful 6" Harlequin Tusk ($200+) which ended up being blind. He died when he went for a krill and bit down on my lion's spine. You never know what you are going to get, but you also can't blame the store. They don't know either.

I once bought a beautiful 6" Harlequin Tusk ($200+) which ended up being blind. He died when he went for a krill and bit down on my lion's spine. You never know what you are going to get, but you also can't blame the store. They don't know either.

I know it is not the LFS's fault. They special ordered it for me and it had just been picked up from the distributer in Los Angeles a couple of hours before I got it and they had just got it the night before. I've been buying fish from this place for close to 30 years and you win a few and lose very few.

I did get a deal on an Eshopps skimmer and should be getting that later today. I bought my coral guy a fuzzy dwarf lion that he did not have cash for and he is giving me the skimmer. Only 6 months old too.

Is it one of their cone skimmers? They do a good job for sure.

I think it is an Eshopps S 200 Cone skimmer. It was running a 180 reef tank, so I'm guessing it will do okay for my 250 FOWLR.

Nice! Needs a bit of a clean but it should definitely do the job :D

He sent me that picture and said he would clean it up, but for the deal I'm getting it for, I'm willing to do some scrubbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom