Too good to be true??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found a 70g aquarium with light, canister filter, plants, co2 tank, cichlids and an additional 10g tank with shrimp for $350. Should i go for it?

I found a 70g aquarium with light, canister filter, plants, co2 tank, cichlids and an additional 10g tank with shrimp for $350. Should i go for it?
If all the equipment looks good and the cichlids look healthy, go for it!

jetajockey said:
Depends on the equipment and how everything looks. What kind of cichlids? What kind of co2 setup? What kind of lighting? What model canister?

The light is a 24in t5 with two 24 Watt 10000k bulbs. IM not sure how used they are and i just inquired about the cichlids and co2.

Tcal01 said:
The light is a 24in t5 with two 24 Watt 10000k bulbs. IM not sure how used they are and i just inquired about the cichlids and co2.

My 24in t5 with 10000k and 6700k bulbs was 50$ at petsmart. Hope that helps in figuring out the value of this deal.

So here is the information for the rest of the equipment:

Tetra Whisperer air pump :100g, 2 outlets

Rena submersible smart heater : 200 Watt

Cascade aquarium canister filter : 100-265gph (up to 100g)

2x24w 10000k actinic white bulbs
1 power cord
1 external ballast
Acrylic lenses

Brichardi cichlids
Neolamprologus brichardi

IMO that too much money... I just grabbed a 75g with fluval 405 filter with stand for $130. And cichlids are fairly cheap. And IDK anything about co2 but I know I could get a tank, it filled and probly fittings for less than $100.

Then you will mostly have to replace the bulbs, so that's another $18 each. And why is there an external ballast for T5 lighting??

CaliO said:
IMO that too much money... I just grabbed a 75g with fluval 405 filter with stand for $130. And cichlids are fairly cheap. And IDK anything about co2 but I know I could get a tank, it filled and probly fittings for less than $100.

Then you will mostly have to replace the bulbs, so that's another $18 each. And why is there an external ballast for T5 lighting??

IM nit sure about the light. I know co2 is pretty expensive. The co2 regulator is an aquatek dual gauge. The tank looks like its a 50lb

Tcal01 said:
IM nit sure about the light. I know co2 is pretty expensive. The co2 regulator is an aquatek dual gauge. The tank looks like its a 50lb

Co2 is Not that exspensive. I think last time I checked at hydroponics store a tank (dont know the weight) but tank was about the size of a large fire hydron and cost was around $75

CaliO said:
Co2 is Not that exspensive. I think last time I checked at hydroponics store a tank (dont know the weight) but tank was about the size of a large fire hydron and cost was around $75

Really? I have seen systems in like the Dr. Foster's and Smith magazine for like 300.

Really? I have seen systems in like the Dr. Foster's and Smith magazine for like 300.

Sorry $75 to fill.. Tank not included.. but yeah I would ask around at welding and mechanics shops. Bet the co2 is at least half as cheap.Tank as well. I almost always find equipment for a hobby to be cheaper if you look in a unrelated shop...

Example... Need a return pump, for your reef? Don't look in aquarium.. Look in pond or even sub pump (hardware store.)

Learned this when I needed a fan speed adjuster. Bought one from hydroponics shop [$85] and then a week later found the same product at Harbor Freight. For $10.. Same brand , model ect..... Needless to say I was pissed! :)

I agree, now that we know what is here, I would say that is pricey, and the individual is attempting to make their investment, or most of it. Bicardi cichlids are 6$ at the petco here.

OK guys i really appreciate it cuz i was seriously considering getting this. Its still too expensive even with the additional 10g with shrimp? There are a bunch of plants included with both tanks too

Tcal01 said:
OK guys i really appreciate it cuz i was seriously considering getting this. Its still too expensive even with the additional 10g with shrimp? There are a bunch of plants included with both tanks too

IMO, if it is worth it to you, then by all means go ahead. This hobby is expensive and I think you already know that. You will probably pay this or even a little more on startup of a whole new system. But the key is new and and it will be yours. I personally would not buy this because I know better deals are always hiding around the corner and I just prefer to buy new aquarium stuff that I know it history. Either way, we will support whatever choice you make! :)

OK i have reached a decision and i am going to take your guys advice. I am not going to buy it because i tallyed up the coat for all of this new and it wasn't far off from what the Guy is asking, like u guys said. Thers that and i just spend $400 on drivers training so my bank account has taken quite a hit. Like u guys said, there are always better deals just around the corner. Thanks again for all the input :)

Back
Top Bottom