Too much live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have about 42-45lbs of live rock in my 25 gallon. The rock scape looks like crap. One big pile everywhere. I want to take some out and make the scape look more appealing.
2 clowns, 1 goby, emerald crab, 1 pistol and 1 peppermint shrimp. I'm worried if I remove some rock I might have a mini cycle. Last time I checked all parameters were good.

image-2454809046.jpg

What do u think? Thanks in advance
Supra

Looking at your tank I agree, it's rare but in this case i think there is too much of a good thing. lol You could take some of the larger pieces out and break it up some. :)

You shouldnt have a mini cycle if youre just taking out some rock. i wouldnt remove it all. lol

I would take some of those rocks and after breaking them into pieces keep some for future coral purposes if youre gonna go corals that is. ;-)

I know it looks like crap, but I was worried about the cycle, think I could take it down to like 25-30lbs + when I was doing research it says 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon. When I first set it up (2 months) I was gonna get more to have like 50lbs
Supra

I also have a 32 gallon container where I mix my salt and ro/di, it has a power head and heater. Could I put the extra rock in there to keep it alive? Or will that mess up my fresh ro/di?
Supra

A kind of rule of thumb is 1.3-1.5 per galon...never seen more than 1.5. I have a 36 gal and have 50lbs of LR in mine. You def have to much. But, if you have a sump, add some of your LR to it to help it filter. Once I get my sump set up, that is what I am going to do with some of my LR so I can free up space.

No sump. How bout my mixing tub? Is that not a good idea. I'd hate to lose that good bacteria.
Supra

I wouldnt add it to the mixing tub, not sure why i wouldn't just seems like a bad idea.

I have 250lbs of rock in my 125g with room to spare. ;-) Plus another 20lbs in the sump. Alot of reef tanks go to the 2.0lbs a gallon.

You could give the extra to me lol. Or just keep it in a garage or shed. Let it dry out and keep it if you ever want to upgrade.

Ok thanks for the input. For some reason it doesn't seem alright to me either with the live rock in mixer. I was hoping someone was gonna say "sure no problem it's done all the time"
Supra

Supra said:
Ok thanks for the input. For some reason it doesn't seem alright to me either with the live rock in mixer. I was hoping someone was gonna say "sure no problem it's done all the time"
Supra

I wouldn't see what the problem would be as long as it's in SW. I'd just rinse it out for when I'd want to use it as a mixing bucket again.

Putting it in the container that you mix your saltwater in would be a bad idea. It needs an ammonia source to remain "live" rock. So in essence you'd just have another tank that you'd have to empty and take the rock out of when you want to do a PWC. You have to mix the salt well in advance of the PWC so you'd have some die off by the time you got it back in the bucket with new water.

BallinCrew10 said:
Putting it in the container that you mix your saltwater in would be a bad idea. It needs an ammonia source to remain "live" rock. So in essence you'd just have another tank that you'd have to empty and take the rock out of when you want to do a PWC. You have to mix the salt well in advance of the PWC so you'd have some die off by the time you got it back in the bucket with new water.

That's true. But you can always add ammonia and wait until it goes down when you want to remove it. But I guess it isn't worth the hassle lol

Yea my tanks a 75. Check the classifieds on this site. I believe Carey's still selling a 55 setup. Not to mess up the sale lol but the extra 6" of depth is nice.

Back
Top Bottom