Top options for a rimless 12G tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
I have this sweet tank set up and it has been SW since December but I want to consolidate some tanks to simplify. But before I get to simple I have to get a little complicated!

Your ideas are welcome. I would want light to be able to get through the top to the plants.

60074-albums14227-picture68012.jpg

As you can see it is a glass rectangle and I would like to put on a top so the fish can't jump out if they get startled.

My initial thought is a plastic piece like on a stock tank top so you can cut out places for heaters and filter then a piece of glass that stays stationary and a hinge like a normal tank with a flat acrylic handle. Pretty near a standard top. With a little acrylic bumper on the interior stationary panels so they don't slide back and forth. Can you get any of these hinge pieces, and plastic parts for the are where the filters go, and where?

17 7/8 wide by 11.5 front to back NOT a standard size for sure.

As a side note and thought, I do have a top from a derimmed 6.6G Fluval Edge which got broken so I could possibly take off the lip on top which is kind of hard rubbery and get custom cut glass for that.

You can't cut down a versa lid can you? they are 20 wide.

There are clips that stick on the side of rimless ranks rhat will give you a lip to put a top on. When im not falling asleep ill link them for you.

Thank you! I will maybe get the clips. Looks like a quick easy solution.

I broke the tank yesterday - the bottom broke/ shattered and will have to see if it can be repaired. It is a custom size and have not seen a tank the same size anywhere.

It was a special thing from MACNA and I bought it from someone who I think won it in a raffle. NO ID on the manufacturer anywhere on it or identifying marks to know. I think it is a knock off tank from overseas.

Also was thinking of a partially open top on my 15G column for a twiggy DW and emersed plants to grow out of. This would let there be able to be plants growing out the top and have a 1/3 to half "top" to minimize jumping out.

Last edited:
Oh, this is the tank that broke? It seems like it should be simple to repair it tbh. Just silicone a new piece of glass in.

That's a good idea with the half top.

Yup. :(

Sounds easy if you have ever played with glass (I haven't). There are many things I end up learning even when I don't really want to! (Plumb, roof, flooring, repair cars)

On my day off I will check out if I can get the glass and how to, or if I have someone else just do it for me. I have read about it, as long as someone else cuts it for me I wouldn't be too worried. Even the last glass thing I needed cut, the guy/ worker at the big box store cut it crooked (glass piece for a cabinet) didn't know till I got home :/.

Last edited:
Take a listen here :)

Playing: The king of DIY | Podcast Chart

It's not a difficult job. Just be sure the glass is cut properly (might wanna go to a different person)

:thanks:
Would for sure go to a glass shop! I wouldn't be confident in cutting the glass exactly my self but getting someone else to do it wouldn't be bad. I saw Paul87's frag tank he just built. Nice!

The bottom was very thick maybe 1/3-1/2, maybe 3/8 inch. The sides aren't very thick.

A local hobby friend has all the glass panels to build a 92G bowfront (a few sets of them) so I spent a little time watching how to make tanks in case I thought I might be bold enough to try that. ------Not that bold yet.

Back
Top Bottom