Torn on what size tank to get.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been browsing the local craigslist for large aquariums with stands and lids/lights. I just can't decide on what size to get. I was thinking 55 gallons but I just don't know what size would comfortably hold all of the fish that I would like.

I want:

6 tetras of some kind.
6 rasboras
3 or 4 swordtails
3 or 4 mollies
and maybe 3 or 5 other small-ish community fish.

Would a 55 gallon safely and comfortably hold these?

I'm hesitant to get a 75 gallon because I'm afraid it may be too big and too much to handle for my first tank.

Will 55 gallons work for the fish listed?

Yes a 55g would be fine for that stock list. A 75 opens up more possibilities, but for the kind of tank you are proposing a 55 is plenty. In fact you could up the numbers of the schoolers.

I've been browsing the local craigslist for large aquariums with stands and lids/lights. I just can't decide on what size to get. I was thinking 55 gallons but I just don't know what size would comfortably hold all of the fish that I would like.

I want:

6 tetras of some kind.
6 rasboras
3 or 4 swordtails
3 or 4 mollies
and maybe 3 or 5 other small-ish community fish.

Would a 55 gallon safely and comfortably hold these?

I'm hesitant to get a 75 gallon because I'm afraid it may be too big and too much to handle for my first tank.

Will 55 gallons work for the fish listed?
As far as my knowledge goes, a 55 gallon should be plenty, with room to spare.

Are you planning on going brackish? Mollies do a lot better (Or so they say) when there is a low amount of special aquarium salt.

Hope I helped!

Thanks guys!!! Now it's time to buy one of these tanks!

Phoenixkiller, I'm not even exactly sure what brackish is. I know I've seen it written on fish tanks at the pet store.

I'm still very new to this hobby so I have a lot to learn before I purchase the actual fish. I'm just getting everything ready haha.

I bought two books. "Setting up an aquarium" and "Aquariums for dummies".

Personally I would go for a 75. You will have a lot of play room with stocking options. But a 55 would work just fine. Brackish is between a fresh water and salt water(salinity). Best of luck to you.

I suppose bigger is better, but if you want, a 55 gallon would be great! If this is your first setup you REALLY probably wont want a 75 gallon! I am a fan of having numerous small tank with bettas, ADFs, etc...but for what your putting in there, you should even have a little room to spare. Just make sure that when you get the mollies, you get all males or all females. Males is probably safest so they wont be pregnant when you get them. Mollies breed...a lot...and you might not want to deal with ALL THAT FRY!!! :p
But if you do have a way of separating the parents from the fry (they eat their young), then you could always sell the babies:)

55 gallons is a perfect size tank for your first, you won't be overwhelmed. (y)

A 55 would work fine. For those 4-5 smallish fish I'd like to recommend cory catfish. That way you could have more movement at the bottom of the tank.

A few Cory catfish would be a great addition to the tank! It will give you some movement on the bottom of the tank, and they are excellent at picking up scraps. I used to keep an albino cory catfish in my 25, but he never got enough to eat, so I would have to put in some algae wafers...but those are cheap and can usually be found at LFS

A few Cory catfish would be a great addition to the tank! It will give you some movement on the bottom of the tank, and they are excellent at picking up scraps. I used to keep an albino cory catfish in my 25, but he never got enough to eat, so I would have to put in some algae wafers...but those are cheap and can usually be found at LFS
Just to make sure the OP knows, catfish do best and are most active when in groups of 6 or more, and preferably all the same species. I defy this rule, but that may change in the future.

If I get a few cories too would I be able to possibly add a couple of rope fish in it comfortably as well? I read that they get up to 2 feet 11 inches and need to have more than one rope fish as well as a minimum of 50 gallons. Would they be a good fit for size and tank mates for the other fish?

If I get a few cories too would I be able to possibly add a couple of rope fish in it comfortably as well? I read that they get up to 2 feet 11 inches and need to have more than one rope fish as well as a minimum of 50 gallons. Would they be a good fit for size and tank mates for the other fish?
I don't know for sure, but if ropefish get as big as they say, I would skip them. They most likely would overstock your tank when they reach adult size. JMO.

Aquaman23 said:

IMO they shouldnt be in anything under 200 gals

While the 55 is a nice tank and more than adequate, the 75 should be considered if one becomes available. they have some advantages over the 55, mainly because of the extra 6" of depth front to back.This allows for more landscaping possibilities and is easier to work in than the 12" 55. Around here brand new 75s go on sale for $100, which is only a little more than a 55, and worth it.

Aquaman, you're pretty close to me. I'm in Pittsburgh!

I'd stay away from the 55 gal. I had one for years (check my pics) and loved it at the time, but now realize that the footprint is extremely limited. I hated how narrow it was. It was very difficult to achieve any sense of depth. If you ever want to go planted, you are also extremely limited.

You will see in this hobby that you may have 3 or 4 differeent fish tanks in one tank. the first 3-4 years you may have one type of tank, then next a planted tank, then next saltwater. So the tank size itself is important.

You could keep those fish in a 30 gallon, or even a 20 gal long if you give lots of hiding spaces. Also the bigger the size the more expensive it is. You will need a more expesive filter, more expensive heater, spend more on substrate etc....
It is easier to keep your water more stable though if you have more of it on the other hand.

Just my opinion of course.

Personally I feel that is enough room for all those fish to live alongside each other happily. Mollies do tend to thrive better in tanks with some aquarium salt, but they will be absolutely fine in your tank. :)

Samzter said:
Personally I feel that is enough room for all those fish to live alongside each other happily. Mollies do tend to thrive better in tanks with some aquarium salt, but they will be absolutely fine in your tank. :)

Marine salt, not aquarium salt
I'd get a 75
You'll be much happier

Back
Top Bottom