Torn on what size tank to get.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO 40gs are better than 55gs because they have a larger footprint. 40gs have more room to aquascape and there is more horizontal room for fish to swim in. A 40g tank has a footprint of 660.4 square inches while a 55g's footprint has 615.2 square inches.

Are you planning on going brackish? Mollies do a lot better (Or so they say) when there is a low amount of special aquarium salt.

Hope I helped!

Not all mollies are brackish-they can be acclimated to FW or brackish or SW.

IMO 40gs are better than 55gs because they have a larger footprint. 40gs have more room to aquascape and there is more horizontal room for fish to swim in. A 40g tank has a footprint of 660.4 square inches while a 55g's footprint has 615.2 square inches.
Agreed, bigger footprints are good for aquascaping, so is the OP planning to plant the tank? Any large decorations that he/she wants?

I do like (And my bro does) like the 55 a lot because it is the last size before canister filters are a must, and 75s are a good size tank. You get the length with a 55, but you don't have to get super large things for it. JMO.

Borderlesscott said:
I bet you within 3 months of getting the 55 you will want the 75 :) that's how it starts.

I don't know what your talking about.

>.>
<.<
0.o

55 x 2
90 (coming)

Agreed, bigger footprints are good for aquascaping, so is the OP planning to plant the tank? Any large decorations that he/she wants?

I do like (And my bro does) like the 55 a lot because it is the last size before canister filters are a must, and 75s are a good size tank. You get the length with a 55, but you don't have to get super large things for it. JMO.

Yeah you get the length, but it's so narrow. That is why I prefer a 40b. 55s also are more expensive to keep because you need a longer light, and if you want to have the best plant experience possible, you might want to get T5HOs, because of the height of the tank. You could always run two aquaclear 110s on a 75! That would look weird though.

Yeah you get the length, but it's so narrow. That is why I prefer a 40b. 55s also are more expensive to keep because you need a longer light, and if you want to have the best plant experience possible, you might want to get T5HOs, because of the height of the tank. You could always run two aquaclear 110s on a 75! That would look weird though.
Yeah. I just say to get a good canister (Maybe a Rena or Eheim).

Yep, the narrow sides keep people from getting certain fish (Oscars for example) in a 55. But if it's all you can get, it's not a bad size IMO.

I've been browsing the local craigslist for large aquariums with stands and lids/lights. I just can't decide on what size to get. I was thinking 55 gallons but I just don't know what size would comfortably hold all of the fish that I would like.

I want:

8 tetras of some kind.
8 rasboras
3 or 4 swordtails
3 or 4 mollies
3 or 4 cory cats
and maybe 3 or 5 other small-ish community fish.

Would a 55 gallon safely and comfortably hold these?

I'm hesitant to get a 75 gallon because I'm afraid it may be too big and too much to handle for my first tank.

Will 55 gallons work for the fish listed?

Would it be okay to add 3 or 4 platys to this list for the "3 or 5 other smallish community fish"? Or would that be overstocked?

I don't know the requirements of the fish on your proposed stocking list, but I see you've already gotten lots of good feedback along those lines.

The only comment I was going to make is:

I think there are a lot more of us who, in retrospect, have thought "I'd wish I'd gone larger" than there are those of us who have said "I wish I'd gone smaller".

Good luck!

Borderlesscott said:
I bet you within 3 months of getting the 55 you will want the 75 :) that's how it starts.

Lol funny, I went from a 10 gallon, to a 20 gallon long, to a 55 gallon to a 180 gallon lol so I now own 1 180G, 1 10G and soon to have a 40G breeder, hobby is very addictingggg

Back
Top Bottom