Training sun coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need a little more info. Ryan has been very helpful I'm just having a hard time understanding. My sun coral opens up beautifully at night under moonlights. How can I train it to open during the day? I've read a few links I just don't truly understand.

Here it is at night. I threw the lights on real quick to get this shot. Looks healthy.

View attachment 82329

Last edited:
I have Dendrophyllia. Similar to sun coral. I trained mine by feeding them during the day. First let them have a small taste and when they open, go ahead and feed them. I feed mine tiny pieces of raw scallop. That's probably too big for Sun's. Here's both day and night shots of mine. Open 24-7

Attachments

• image-2903499211.jpg
    image-2903499211.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image-2721659703.jpg
    image-2721659703.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 115
Crabs said:
I have Dendrophyllia. Similar to sun coral. I trained mine by feeding them during the day. First let them have a small taste and when they open, go ahead and feed them. I feed mine tiny pieces of raw scallop. That's probably too big for Sun's. Here's both day and night shots of mine. Open 24-7

I'll try that thanks! And those are beautiful.

Exactly what crabs said, poke them with a small bit of food, they'll open unless you fed them the night before. if you keep it to a schedule it'll always open

Wow, I wouldn't complain if mine looked that good even at night! It opens & gets food after a teaser. I use a bottle top to keep the food contained (also keeps CUC off the thing while feeding). But that is just beautifully open.

- D

don_chuwish said:
Wow, I wouldn't complain if mine looked that good even at night! It opens & gets food after a teaser. I use a bottle top to keep the food contained (also keeps CUC off the thing while feeding). But that is just beautifully open.

- D

Thanks!!

What's funny is that just about 9 mo. ago I started with a single head. Now there are several. I also fragged it. I thought I killed the original head when it all turned gray except a tiny yellow spot. Well, that yellow spot has 2 small heads to feed now. I get a lot of flak from people, telling me it isn't possible in 9 months. U can c the original in this pic

Attachments

• image-2217376598.jpg
    image-2217376598.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 159
And yeah I agree, u have a beautiful colony of sun coral. If I could find some similar to yours, I'd snap em up

Boolay1978 said:
Has it been easy to keep, I want one now!

Honestly I'm pretty new to saltwater, I have a BC 29 I've modded the lights to the AI SOL BLUE LED's etc...

Anyway. I haven't had any issues. Just trying to train it so it stays open more during the day rather at night. It's my favorite in the tank.

I tried my hand at sun corals and lost the coral. :-( Mine just would not open, even in the middle of the night. I tried everything. I may have gotten to feed them 3 or 4 times before they stopped opening even a little bit. I was using tweezers to feed each head brine and mysis shrimp.

I've used the bottle method that was suggested which seems to be working along with target feeding with these really long tweezers. I hope it last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom