True Siamese Algae Eaters-Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know the Siamese Algae Eaters are a tropical fish. Their water parameters are much different. I have been reading numerous articles that they are capable of easily adapting to a wide range out of their natural parameters. They are listed as one of the safest natural algae eaters. Apparently, they are ravenous when algae is presented to them and they eat a large variety

A few snails are supposed to be plant safe algae eaters and also very small shrimp that my Orandas and Ranchu would most likely have as a snack.

My dilemma: My Bristle Nose pleco and Rubber Nose are almost never seen. There is a very large 2-piece sunken ship that they hide in and I am certain that they are eating the algae in the ships.

My tank glass is spotless but my anubias and silk decorations on the ship sections are being slowly coated with algae. My fish get a lot of veggies, so I believe they are just not interested. Articles stated that Siamese algae eaters devour algae. It is their favorite food. They are omnivorous, so they will eat detritus too.

I did see one article that stated that sometimes a Siamese fish will develop the bad habit of nipping at very long tailed fish. I have a large Red Cap Oranda with a beautiful flowing tail.

I also found out that most pet shops sell a variety of fish that they claim is the Siamese Algae Eater, but in actuality are a variety that closely looks like one. The pattern of the false Siamese is slightly different and is quite obvious if you become knowledgeable about the differences

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Siamese Algae Eaters? Have you ever heard or read they nip tails?

Back
Top Bottom