Tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralocean

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a stupid question. When you buy something that says you need 1 inch tubing and do not specify ID or OD which are they referring to? I went to home depot to ask for tubing and they asked ID or OD and I went blank lol.:confused:
Thanks

I always just take the fitting with me to the store.
I still often screw up but it does help in moments of doubt..:nono:

In the last couple weeks I have had 2 experiences with the same issue of ID or OD. Not that I know, but I think they refer to the OD. Somehow you should magically know what the ID is ;)

So.... I know in the automotive world if you are talking about a rubber line, the I.D. is the measurement used. If you're talking about a steel/copper line it's the O.D. I think it depends on the material you're using. That probably doesn't help to much though....

Generally it is the ID. Not very often is it referenced as the OD. Now, I am sure there are times when it is.

Generally it is the ID. Not very often is it referenced as the OD. Now, I am sure there are times when it is.

I think in most cases it is ID also now that I think about it .
You can get 2 thickness [3/4 & 7/8] that both have 1/2 inch ID ,so to reference OD might be more difficult and less accurate .

Wow the fact that I knew that referred to outside & inside diameter makes me realize just how much *constructing* I've been doing ?

Back
Top Bottom