twirling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

African Cichlid, not sure what exactly. He can swim.... but when he swims he twirls upside down and to the side. Almost like a spirlling football. Just now I caught him upside down under a rock so I took him out and put him into a smaller 10 gal tank.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

n/a

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

6 months, but i recently did a pretty big water change(90%)

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Fluval 304

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

11 mates, about the same size as him(2.5inches)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

JUST did a 90% water change, and cleaned all of the gravel

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

since christmas

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

n/a

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

fish flakes

somebody help me. i just lost 8 fish, i dont wanna make it 9.

After reading your other post, I think I have to agree with Billsgate. Ammonia is naturally occuring in your tank. Without good little bacteria to kill it, it will rise until it itself breaks down. That is how a cycle works, and that is how you can have ammonia issues. You said that you took everything out and scrubbed it, and that is what you did wrong. It was a good thought, but unfortanetly it has some drawbacks.

So, when you changed your water, are you sure it was the correct temperature? Did you dechlorinate?

Your twirling fish is a sign of stress that has disrupted the swim bladder inside it. That is why it can't swim straight. Keep doing daily water changes, not disrupting your gravel or filter cartridges, and get a test kit, or take your water to the store for a test.

I can't see Billsgate's post, but I agree with DT. The swim bladder is affected. You do need your water parameters tested as I do believe you have caused another cycle. The same thing happened to me when I changed over substrate in my guppy tank, I killed off all the good bacteria and had to do daily water changs to keep the nitrites down.

For the one that is having the swim bladder issues, try feeding him frozen peas to rule out constipation, although it seems very doubtful he is constipated. Veggies never hurt anyway! :lol:

how can i feed it? it doesnt go up to the curface to eat!

yeah i dechlorinated it, and i put a bunch of none scrubbed rocks in it. The gravel should still have lots of bacteria, because i never took it out of the tank and washed it, i only swished it around in the tank water.

i only changed 90% of it, and i did leave a bunch of rocks unscrubbed because they just look better like that

so how do i feed them? I have them in a QT, but they dont come up to eat. One just passed away this morning, and i only have one left with this problem.

i heard epson salt is good for constipation as well, and im thinking of using it since this fish doesnt go up to eat.

what do you guys think??

The peas will sink. Microwave a pea in a little bit of water for about 10 seconds. Take off the outer shell and allow the pea to cool. Drop in 1/2 of a pea and see if it eats. If it does, put in another 1/2.

Back
Top Bottom