Typical noob stuck with fishIN cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay, looks like the 10 gal is cycled! I'd dose ammonia for another few days just to be sure then do your large water change, turn the heater down and get some fish! Hopefully the larger tank isn't too far behind.

librarygirl said:
Yay, looks like the 10 gal is cycled! I'd dose ammonia for another few days just to be sure then do your large water change, turn the heater down and get some fish! Hopefully the larger tank isn't too far behind.

Here is my test from just now, I dosed last night to 4ppm at around 7 pm. This is the ten gallon.

Attachments

• image-1417740663.jpg
    image-1417740663.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 44
librarygirl said:
If you can manage some water changes on the larger tank this weekend I'd do so. I'm wondering if things are stalling if it's taking ammonia two days to go to 0 with nitrite that high. Try to do some 100% water changes and get the nitrite down to something you can measure on the chart then dose ammonia to 2 for a couple of days and we'll see what happens.

Here is the test on the fifty gallon from just now... Should I leave it as is until my ph drops or should I do a water change?

Attachments

• image-3101491300.jpg
    image-3101491300.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 40
Here is the test on the fifty gallon from just now... Should I leave it as is until my ph drops or should I do a water change?

The 10 gal looks good! You'll have fish this week, I predict :) What fish are you thinking for this tank?

For the larger tank it's up to you. You can wait it out and see if the nitrite falls or if the PH changes. A water change probably isn't necessary at this point, I'd just be interested to see what happens if you can get those nitrites at a readable level on the chart but as long as it doesn't seem like it's stalling (ammonia keeps going to 0 after 24 hours, nitrates are climbing and PH is steady) then you should be OK to wait.

librarygirl said:
The 10 gal looks good! You'll have fish this week, I predict :) What fish are you thinking for this tank?

For the larger tank it's up to you. You can wait it out and see if the nitrite falls or if the PH changes. A water change probably isn't necessary at this point, I'd just be interested to see what happens if you can get those nitrites at a readable level on the chart but as long as it doesn't seem like it's stalling (ammonia keeps going to 0 after 24 hours, nitrates are climbing and PH is steady) then you should be OK to wait.

In the 10 gallon I want to start with colorful shrimp and small feeder/breeder fish (not sure what type). I noticed today that if I try to dose the ammo back up before 24hrs that my ph drops... Why is this?

The 50g is going to hold my young tilapia breeders until I get a dedicated breeder tank for them... After it will be a tropical fish breeder tank. I guess I am still a little up in the air about exactly what I am going to stock with... I am looking for some live plants as well. Guess I'm just a little lost right now. My next project is a fairly large pond with a huge biological filter... That one should be fun!

I did another test tonight on both tanks and had a ph drop in both. The 10g dropped to 7.4-7.6 and the 50g dropped to about the same.

I think librarygirl is right... Water changes are in order! I'm going to need more buckets!

I did a 50% water change on the 10g and afterwards ammo and nitrites are both zero, ph is holding at 8.2 and nitrates are increasing normally with each ammo dose! I think that tank is good!

The 50g... I did about a 40% water change on that beast... Zeroing ammo within 24hrs, nitrites still 5+ and nitrates are NOT increasing. I bagged some gravel and put it in the ten gallon to try and get some seeded material to transfer back to the 50g. Maybe something will happen soon in the 50g and I will start seeing the nitrates increase!

Sounds like it's coming along! Gratz on the 10 gallon basically being ready! Hopefully the 50 gallon is not far behind.... :)

I do believe the ten gallon has completed its cycle. Ammo zero nitrites zero and nitrates through the roof! Yay. I will do water changes and bring down the nitrates and work on getting some fish for it.

The fifty gallon is stuck right now. Ammo zero nitrites 5+ nitrates 20. Not seeing increase in nitrates yet like I should.

Gratz on the 10 gallon! Are you still dosing the 50g up to 4ppm? If so, try knocking it back to 2ppm for a bit.

The really low number of nitrates is partially because of that 40% water change you did yesterday, but still, you're right, they're not as high as they would typically be if the cycle was nearing completion.

How are you doing the nitrate test? It's the API kit right? Shake and bang both bottles vigorously for 30 seconds (bang them on something hard); bottle #2 has reagent powder that can get clumped and cause false readings. Then shake the tube hard for 60 seconds and wait 5 minutes for the reading. ALso you've checked you're pH lately too right? Is it stable? PH drops can stall things. I'm betting the high nitrites aer the culprit though; you may need to do some 100% water changes to get nitrites to something you can read on the chart and then dose to 2 for a few days to let the bacteria catch up and then go back to 4 and see if that changes things.

Yes... Yes... And yes. There are times I will run the test twice thinking I messed it up somehow, but usually get the same results. I have been testing my ph every time so I understand how fast the buffers are being used. I will take your advice and do a 100% water change and see what happens. Getting ready to test now... Will post the results before water change.

Here are the results from the fifty gallon just now before water change...

Attachments

• image-30825019.jpg
    image-30825019.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 41
When I put the drops in from bottle #1 for the nitrate test... The water turns iodine brown... Is this normal? When I add the drops from bottle#2 I get 20-40ppm.

Pretty sure mine stays yellow for the first part. I will check for you today ...

I think my ten gallon tested like this at a certain part in its cycle... It doesn't do it now that it completed it cycle. The fifty gallon... As soon as the drops from bottle #1 go in it turns this rusty iodine brown color.

Maybe it is telling me I have juvenile nitrate bacteria growing? Lol

I have ordered refill bottles for nitrate and ammonia tests.

Your nitrates should definitely be a lot higher. Either there's something wrong with the test solution or the cycle is stalling at the nitrite point due to the nitrites being so high.

Are my BB ok? Lost power tonight for almost 2 hours. I forgot about keeping my filters wet. I was only trying to remember to prime my filters when the power came back on. Am I going to have to start over?

So I tested tonight and my BB made it just fine. The fifty gallon is showing zero ammo trace nitrites and 40+ nitrates! Ph has dropped to 7.2, but big progress! Yay! The other day I put a heaping handful of gravel from the ten gallon tank into the fifty gallon tank. Guess it made a difference...

Back
Top Bottom