um...I guess I have a pair of Angels...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got home today to find eggs all over the filter and the angels guarding and fanning them! 8O I was totally not expecting this! Is there anything I should do? I feel bad for the tetras who are being forced to stay toward the bottom of the tank! :lol:

edit: I do have a few questions...first, it's safe to assume that there is one male one female, right? They wouldn't lay eggs and then guard them if they were both females, would they? And then how can I tell if they were fertilized, and how long until they become wrigglers then free swimming?

They would be a male and a female and Congratulations! I will have to defer the other questions to more experienced members.

perhaps now I can convince my parents to get another tank for growout...maybe that will cover all the electricity my tanks use each month! :oops:

I have a pair that has laid eggs 4 times. I don't have the resources to keep the fry and they have basicaly all become food for the other inhabitants, but in about 48-72 hours you should have wigglers. I believe that the eggs that turn white instead of the opaque color are the unfertalized eggs. Angels must have something about laying eggs on filters, mine do the same. The last batch of eggs that I had, once the eggs started wiggling, the parents took them off the filter and moved them to a leaf of one of my (fake) plants.

edit: I do have a few questions...first, it's safe to assume that there is one male one female, right? They wouldn't lay eggs and then guard them if they were both females, would they? And then how can I tell if they were fertilized, and how long until they become wrigglers then free swimming?

It isn't uncommon for one female to lay eggs and another female to assume the "male" role in guarding the eggs.

haus is absolutely correct regarding what the eggs will look like if they are not fertilized. And, laying eggs on the filters is also common.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :D

I have been caught with the two females thing once or twice. They seem to have this sympathy thing going :(

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom