Uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your getting nitrites & lots of nitrates which is very good! Your amm should be dropping some though to get readings of trites/trates...ill have to think about this a bit! If you dont mind doing another wc, i would do one to bring the ph up some & then add some more coral. We havent hit that magic amount yet to keep your ph stable at your taps ph but it looks like we are getting closer because it isnt going below 6.6! I wouldnt worry about your nitrites dropping to zero as long as your nitrates keep steadily increasing- this just means the nitrites are being converted to nitrates before you are detecting them. Keep up the good work & keep us posted!

jlk said:
Your getting nitrites & lots of nitrates which is very good! Your amm should be dropping some though to get readings of trites/trates...ill have to think about this a bit! If you dont mind doing another wc, i would do one to bring the ph up some & then add some more coral. We havent hit that magic amount yet to keep your ph stable at your taps ph but it looks like we are getting closer because it isnt going below 6.6! I wouldnt worry about your nitrites dropping to zero as long as your nitrates keep steadily increasing- this just means the nitrites are being converted to nitrates before you are detecting them. Keep up the good work & keep us posted!

Which % of a water change should I do ?

50% would bring your ph into the low 7 range (your tap sits around 7.5-7.6, correct?) which is fine. Add a bit more cr coral. Recheck your amm after the change & see where it is (should be 1ppm after the pwc). Lets leave it at 1ppm for 24hrs & see if it zeroes out. :)

jlk said:
50% would bring your ph into the low 7 range (your tap sits around 7.5-7.6, correct?) which is fine. Add a bit more cr coral. Recheck your amm after the change & see where it is (should be 1ppm after the pwc). Lets leave it at 1ppm for 24hrs & see if it zeroes out. :)

The tap ph is 7.5-7.6 , I did a little under a 50% water change the ph is now at 7.2 and the ammonia is between 1.0 & 2.0 ppm I added more crush coral. So I guess I will wait for tomorrow to check the levels again ! Thanks for the quick reply :)

Did not test yesterday did not have time . . . Hope it did not effect my tank. . . Tank results for today . . .
Ph- between 6.6 - 6.8
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 80 ppm

Should I dose the ammonia back up to 4.0 ppm ?

Ammonia/nitrite are zero & you have high nitrates! That is good!!! Lets only dose it to 2ppm for today & see if it zeroes out in 24hrs. :)

Added some fresh water to buffer the water and a bit more crushed coral and also dosed the ammonia to about 2-4 ppm !

Tank results for today . . .
Ph- 6.6
Ammonia- 0.50 ppm
Nitrite- 2.0 ppm
Nitrate- 80 ppm

Hmm what should I do ? :thinking:

Ph- 6.6
Ammonia- 0.50 ppm
Nitrite- 2.0 ppm
Nitrate- 80 ppm

Hmm what should I do ? :thinking:

I'd redose to 2 and see what happens tomorrow. Your PH is still falling although it's better than 6! Is the CC in your filter or in the tank?

librarygirl said:
I'd redose to 2 and see what happens tomorrow. Your PH is still falling although it's better than 6! Is the CC in your filter or in the tank?

I had it in my filter there was no room in there I have two mesh bags full of crushed coral in my tank one sitting on and airdrome and the other next to the filter

Ph- 6.6
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- .50 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm

What should I do ? Should I do a water change to bring the ph up a bit ? Or just dose the ammonia to 2 ppm or 4 ppm ?

Well I just did a minor water change , only three gallons to add a little buffers to the water and I added more crushed coral , also dosed the ammonia back up to between 2.0 - 4.0 ppm . . . . When will this be cycled ?!?! :thinking:

Hi Mikey! So, you dosed amm to 2ppm yesterday and its zero today? Thats great!!! You have alot of nitrates as well-this is also very good! Things are progressing well!! Your almost there-we just need the nitritess to zero out too & you will be done!! :)

jlk said:
Hi Mikey! So, you dosed amm to 2ppm yesterday and its zero today? Thats great!!! You have alot of nitrates as well-this is also very good! Things are progressing well!! Your almost there-we just need the nitritess to zero out too & you will be done!! :)

Yes!!!! I dosed it up again guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow And see what happens !!

Alright ! Tank results for today !!! . . .
Ph- 6.6ish
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm

Am I cycled ?!?! Do I dose the ammonia for a couple more days to make sure ? Any thoughts would be awesome!

Alright ! Tank results for today !!! . . .
Ph- 6.6ish
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm

Am I cycled ?!?! Do I dose the ammonia for a couple more days to make sure ? Any thoughts would be awesome!
Thats GREAT!!!! Yes, dose it for 2-3 more days to make sure everything keeps zeroing out! And this means you are cycled!!! Do a big (100%) wc with water conditioner the day you go to purchase fish & make sure the temp is appropriate for them if you have had it cranked up. I would stock conservatively over the next few wks just so your bacteria can adjust to whatever you are stocking with & keep an eye on your water parameters. What a great Christmas present!!! :)

jlk said:
Thats GREAT!!!! Yes, dose it for 2-3 more days to make sure everything keeps zeroing out! And this means you are cycled!!! Do a big (100%) wc with water conditioner the day you go to purchase fish & make sure the temp is appropriate for them if you have had it cranked up. I would stock conservatively over the next few wks just so your bacteria can adjust to whatever you are stocking with & keep an eye on your water parameters. What a great Christmas present!!! :)

Awesome ! I'll keep you updated thanks for all the help ! :)

Tank results for today it is not 24 hours quit yet . . .
Ph- 6.4 (very lite though)
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 1.0 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm

It has not evidence twenty four hours yet , should I not dose the ammonia back up yet ? And should I do a water change to bring up the ph it appears to be dropping :ughhhhh:

Back
Top Bottom