Uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mikey214 said:
Tank results for today it is not 24 hours quit yet . . .
Ph- 6.4 (very lite though)
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 1.0 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm

It has not evidence twenty four hours yet , should I not dose the ammonia back up yet ? And should I do a water change to bring up the ph it appears to be dropping :ughhhhh:

Ok so I let it go pass 24 hours and checked the levels and the nitrite was 0 ppm and the Ph is now 6.6 , I added some ammonia just now and will check again in twenty hours to see if I'm all cycled ! :) :thumbsup:

Tank results today . . .
Ph- 6.8
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 160ppm

I'm about to perform a 90% water change so I can add my fish tomorrow ! Should I keep the crushed coral in the tank ?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I would not add fish tomarro. Thats just my opinion.

Why not? Everything sounds good to go. If fish are added and some ammonia is present then a PWC will fix it. The op should be testing everyday for a while anyway.

I'd leave the CC for now. IMO you right too add some fish.

Tank results today . . .
Ph- 6.8
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 160ppm

I'm about to perform a 90% water change so I can add my fish tomorrow ! Should I keep the crushed coral in the tank ?

Hi Mikey! Yes, leave the cr coral for now. Make sure you get your nitrates as low as possibe-this may take more than 1 water change. Stock slowly over the next few weeks to allow your bacteria to adjust to the bioload & check your water to make sure things stay stable. Good luck! :)

jlk said:
Hi Mikey! Yes, leave the cr coral for now. Make sure you get your nitrates as low as possibe-this may take more than 1 water change. Stock slowly over the next few weeks to allow your bacteria to adjust to the bioload & check your water to make sure things stay stable. Good luck! :)

I read this after I bought more fish to add to the fish that were in my ten gallon to my newly fishless cycled 29 gallon tank ! This is my stock will things be ok?!?!?!

Attachments

• image-4278619072.jpg
    image-4278619072.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 60
Mikey214 said:
I read this after I bought more fish to add to the fish that were in my ten gallon to my newly fishless cycled 29 gallon tank ! This is my stock will things be ok?!?!?!

Looks good except I'd add a least 2 more bentos tetra to make a school.

Hi Mikey! I am not going to be of much help with what exactly you stocked (i do coldwater not tropical) but just keep a close eye on your tank parameters over the next 2 wks (or so) to make sure everything stays stable. If you run into any problems, let us know & we will help you out! Enjoy your fish!!

jlk said:
Hi Mikey! I am not going to be of much help with what exactly you stocked (i do coldwater not tropical) but just keep a close eye on your tank parameters over the next 2 wks (or so) to make sure everything stays stable. If you run into any problems, let us know & we will help you out! Enjoy your fish!!

Thanks alot ! I appreciate it ! Should I test the water every day still?

I would test it daily for the next week- if everything checks out, you should be good other than weekly maintence water changes to keep nitrates under control. Look forward to seeing some pics! :)

jlk said:
I would test it daily for the next week- if everything checks out, you should be good other than weekly maintence water changes to keep nitrates under control. Look forward to seeing some pics! :)

Here are some pictures ! Will get some more pictures up soon!

Attachments

• image-3066789587.jpg
    image-3066789587.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image-913611603.jpg
    image-913611603.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 59
So these fish I have are they all low swimming fish ? The middle and top of my tank seem to be empty :/

Attachments

• image-1054027650.jpg
    image-1054027650.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 44
Mikey214 said:
So these fish I have are they all low swimming fish ? The middle and top of my tank seem to be empty :/

Give them time to adjust to their new surroundings. They will swim all over the tank soon enough. Try putting in some tall decorations or tall plants (real or plastic) to make them feel more confident in the upper levels.

Mumma.of.two said:
Give them time to adjust to their new surroundings. They will swim all over the tank soon enough. Try putting in some tall decorations or tall plants (real or plastic) to make them feel more confident in the upper levels.

I will my lfs is out of "candy cane tetras" til next week :/ so I'll have to wait I check the water level today and everything was perfect but the nitrate was at 40 ppm so I did a 50% water change for today

When is it ok to actually do a gravel vacuuming and how should I go about cleaning my filter media since the tank was just established . . . Is there a certain amount of time I should wait or something ? TIA

Once a week gravel vac is fine when you do a pwc. If you do more frequent pwcs, you can run the vac over the surface to suck up any large debris. I wouldnt about your filter media quite yet unless its so clogged water is not flowing through it. I would honestly wait a few more wks & then you can swish the media once a week in a bucket of tank water. If you have more than one filter, i would alternate the swishing to 1 set of media one week & the other set the following week. These are just general guidelines- you will figure out what works best for you over time!

Back
Top Bottom