Unique fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pseudomugil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are there any very unique types of fish that will fit in a 56 gallon tank? It has to be like below 8" long, and has to be compatible with rainbowfish.

They aren't rare but pearl gouramis are really cool in my opinion. If you're looking for an oddball type fish, the a group of red lizard loaches would look nice.

I was thinking more of something like a ropefish or weather loach. Would either of those work?

Rope fish get pretty big and depending on your rainbows size, may try to eat them. Weather loaches like to school and grow over 8 inches as well so I wouldnt recommend it.

Some good choices would be yo yo loaches or cories like said above. Most small loaches and cories are pretty unique and personal in schools once they get used to your tank.

What about a freshwater flounder/hogchocker sole? I read they only grow to 2 inches long and need a sand substrate which is fine because I have sand.

Check on aqadvisor.com to see of they are compatible with your current inhabitants and research their care first.

If you can care for it and it plays nice, you should be in the clear :)

I read more about the sole and I don't think I'd be willing to keep one. How about a figure 8 pufferfish? Their care seems simple enough and I'll watch closely to see if it is nipping any fins

Do you have inverts? Also, do have the means to provide it food?

See if it is brackish. If my memory serves me, it is. Might be wrong.

I have inverts but I can move them to my 20 gallon.

I read that they will eat flake food and sinking pellets but that their main diet should be tiny snails, shrimp, and bloodworms. My lfs has tiny little snails and ghost shrimp for 12 cents, would that be enough?

I read more about the sole and I don't think I'd be willing to keep one. How about a figure 8 pufferfish? Their care seems simple enough and I'll watch closely to see if it is nipping any fins

All you have to do is Google Figure 8 Puffer it to know it's Brackish and aggressive. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+954+1601&pcatid=1601 they also need big filtration as they are messy predators.

Not ok to have with your Rainbows.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All you have to do is Google Figure 8 Puffer it to know it's Brackish and aggressive. Tropical Fish for Brackish Aquariums: Figure 8 Puffer they also need big filtration as they are messy predators.

Not ok to have with your Rainbows.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's not fully brackish. In the wild they can be found in freshwater. Putting them in brackish water can just expand their lifetime. I'm good friends with the owner of the store and he'll gladly take the puffer back if it starts attacking the other fish.

What about an Indian Dwarf Puffer? In my experience they are less aggressive but still iffy. They are also freshwater.

What about an Indian Dwarf Puffer? In my experience they are less aggressive but still iffy. They are also freshwater.

I like the dwarf puffers, but they're just so small. I want something really unique to top off my tank so it has to be pretty big too.

To Cousair, please do not be so rude to me.

I'm going to try the puffer and I'll see how it turns out

Noo puffers, they really should be kept as species only. The dwarf will be too small and could be picked on by the rainbows. I might suggest bichirs, they aren't too keen hunters so your rainbows will prob be fine, but if you are looking for peaceful then DEF do silver dollars. They look pretty cool and 5 or so would fit great

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Definitely not a rope fish, Kuhli loaches would work.

Back
Top Bottom