Unknown deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted?
One glolight tetra died (I'm a very bad mom and didn't notice until about a day later). Then about 2 days ago, one teeny neon looked a little funny (slightly inflamed gills - his operculum wasn't quite covering them, and he had a bit of white fuzz at the base of his dorsal fin...oddly, he's pretty much looked like this since day 1). The next morning he and one of the other neons were dead. They actually both looked normal, aside from the dead part.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
I don't know my pH, but ammonia is 0 and nitrates are between 0 and 12.5 mg/L. Temp is about 76F. The tank is planted with elodea, some mystery plant, and just recently a freshwater onion.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
10 gal, set up about 2 months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Basic HOB filter

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
3 otocinclus (1 inch each)
4 neon tetras (3/4 inch each)
3 glolight tetras (just shy an ince each)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I did about a 1/3 water change and gravel vacuum after the last 2 died. Normally I do about a 1/5 water change every 4 or 5 days when I vacuum the gravel.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I got the neons about 6 weeks ago, and the otos and glolights about 2 weeks ago.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
I had put in a piece of lettuce for the otos the night they died. Maybe there were chemicals on it that didn't quite rinse off?

Doubtful that the lettuce was the culprit. The sad fact is that fish die. We don't know the age of the fish when we purchase it, or what it's overall health is. I think the only thing to do here is let the tank mature a bit more before adding anymore fish. At least a month.

HTH

Brian
Thanks for the reassurance. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing some major signs of disease, etc. I know that generally, it's hard to prevent diseases once they take hold, but I'm hoping that as long as they don't get too stressed out, the fish will be tough. I'll definitely hold off on getting more fish - if anything, maybe one or two wee tetras, but definitely not for a while. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom