Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to my Ace hardware store and they didn't have the female adapter that I needed. I didn't want to go all the way to Home Depot and they not have also. So I ordered them from BRS. I had to get something else from them anyway.

I'm starting on my rock scape and I'm using all the rock I took out of my 20 gallon long that I had in my office at work. I'm wondering though should I clean the rock before I put it in this tank and if so what is the best way to clean it? Is there a easy way to do this?

What kind of rock? Is it algae covered or just kinda gunky? I'd use a new cleaned brush with either salt or baking soda (and vinegar, for fun)! Or peroxide if its algae. And if its smooth - can't beat the Mr Clean Magic Eraser or its generic brother. They also work on algae spots on plant leaves :) .

Thanks Autumn for the tips. A lot of it just needs to be rinsed which I started doing last night. Some pieces of shelf rock has green algae all over it. It was like grass was growing on it lol. I started trying to scrub it off but it take a lot if time to work on it.

Yeah, and if you do not need to worry about preserving any BB in the rock I would use it with 50/50 Peroxide/water, scrub soak, repeat until you have the results you are looking for, after rinsing well, then maybe bake in some nice sunshine for a few days. Might want to wear gloves to protect your hands. Stinging, ow!!!! lol :)

I'd op for what autumnsky said about the hydrogen peroxide / water mixture vs the vinegar And as she said also , leaving it out in the sun should neutralize any hydrogen peroxide residue making for a clean start on the rocks again

Thanks guys. I probably will try them again when I get my big tank up and running.

As you know I ordered the female adapters for my bulk head. I received them the other day but they are two small. I ordered 1" and didn't know that I needed the 2" so waiting again they are arriving on Monday.

When in doubt, I usually take my components to Home Depot or where ever so you can physically match everything up right there , size. Threads etc

I think I'm going at this the wrong way. I thought I had to have a piece that screws over top the bulkhead and now I am thinking that I need to glue a connected inside the bulkhead. Silly me!

Ok I'm going to plumb this tank tomorrow. I'm tired of waiting for the right moment and for no interruptions. If I wait for that I will never get it done. [emoji225]

Back
Top Bottom