Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok tank is almost filled. I mixed my salt in on Thursday and added my powerheads and a pump on the bottom to help mix it up.
I did stop the water a few inches from the top. I wanted to clean my sump out from the last time I had it running. I dumped some water and vinegar in each section and let it sit for a couple of days. I cleaned it out this morning and started the water flowing again.

I had to order a swage tool to finish working on my light hanging project. I was working on that last night and finished the part that looks like it came on the fixture. Similar to how ATI lights come. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• Image1487431960.993893.jpg
    Image1487431960.993893.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 53
The water is starting to trickle into the overflows. Very exciting indeed. So happy it is starting to come together.

I'm working on my power/gadget control center now. Here is what I have so far.

Attachments

• Image1487449280.803484.jpg
    Image1487449280.803484.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 54
Ok noticed that the water was entering one overflow more than the other overflow so I put some shims under the tank on the side where the overflow was filling faster. I think it helped a little. Just wondering is this going to be a problem long term?

Attachments

• IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 52
It looks pretty plumb to me. I wouldn't worry about it. For all the years that my tank has been set up, it all leans to the right...big time. It isn't the best thing that you want, but wasn't discovered until it was all set up and full. The stressors on the tank from this are supposed to be bad over time from this.

Yeah Hank I was thinking that little bit wasn't a big deal either but then I checked the level front to back and it was off more than I liked so I put some shims under the front side. I need to get some more shim to finish it. Hopefully that will make it better.

When I worked on my stand last summer replacing the bottom of the tank I never thought to check to see if it was level. Beginner mistake for sure. Lesson learned. [emoji33]

When I first built my stand outside it was perfectly square and level ,..once I put it inside it sloped so bad it was scary ,..apparently the floor sloped about an inch from one end of the aquarium to the other end ,THEN it sloped about about 1/2 an inch from back to front .... needless to say there was shimming and modifications in order to get it up and level ., I guess it's all part of the game

You made me go check mine. Lol. I remember when I first set it up it was a tad off level. It actually seems to be pretty darn level now though. Yours isn't off much, I wouldn't worry about it.
fKV9ynw.jpg

Thank you Autumn. I am so excited about how this is turning out. Can't wait to get it all done. I am hanging my lights today. I'm also going to hang the board with the controller on the wall today as well.

I started my return pump up and it doesn't have enough head pressure to push the water through the pipes and up to the returns. [emoji47] I have to order a new return pump. I will need a y connector but not sure where to get one. If you know where to get one please let me know. I will be doing some research in the mean time.

barb, in this case sometimes bigger is better, on my tank setup i'm running a mag 12 pretty much wide open which pushes water from the sump thru the cooler and up to the returns,...remember that with a ball valve you can always throttle the flow from the pump down somewhat without any issues ,... my suggestion would buy bigger than what you think you may need and throttle down if needed, always nice to have a little in reserve :)

I ordered a controllable pump that puts out 3170 gallons/hr and has a 16.4 ft head pressured. Hopefully that will work just fine. Should get it in on Tuesday.

My husband helped me hang my light today. I'm a little sad because when I turned both lights on they tripped the ground fault behind the tank. Yikes! Now I have to call a electrician to get this taken care of.

I think I know what's wrong. Last summer I installed a 15 amp gfi (because that's what I had on hand) when I should have put a 20 amp in there. The breaker is a 20 amp that powers that side of the house. Any electricians on here that could maybe confirm that for me. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom