URGENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botia4Life

Aquarium Advice Regular
My chinese algae eater is laying either upside-down or on his side. is not touching any algae even though there is some. I put him in a little protective breeding case (not for breedin right now obviously). And as I was closing the top I noticed a cm long tan worm or so, swimming in the case, could not just come from nowhere, so maybe fish? I have never had any type of worm in the tank so.... takes out that possibilty. Pls. Help

I recall reading about these worms in the past. I can't recall what they are exactly but if I remember anything, get rid of it. I don't think it came out of the fish, they live in the tank naturally.

Try a search on freshwater worms. Sorry I couldn't help further.

Is there anything else about your CAE, red spots or lines, white spots fuzz that you notice? Is your CAE a golden CAE? How big is he? CAE's will quit eating algae once they get to be a bit bigger. The lack of algae eating may not be a symptom.

No out of the ordinary lines or marks or anything of that nature. His color is golden, don't remember if it said golden. I think it was, and he's only an 1.5 " or so maybe 2".

Have you tested the tank water parameters? That's where we need to start. The worm/nematode may or may not be playing a role. Usually harmful parasitic worms are going to be attached to the fish, so it may be an incidental finding. If nematodes are present in the tank, however, this provides a clue that there is some detritus collecting on the bottom that neesd to be addressed with increased PWCs and gravel vacs, and care not to overfeed.

Otherwise, the fish needs to be in a hospital tank so he can be observed and treated. Look closely at the gills, as we need to know if there are flukes or if we are just dealing with a bacterial illness to be treated with a broad-spectrum antibiotic. He needs to be out of the main tank, though, if possible.

about 25-30 ppm nitrate, nirite 0, ammonia 0. Looks like somewhat heavy breathing, but not rapid or anything. Gills look pretty good, couldn't see anything. Ummm.... just did a PWC two days ago, but had slacked off a week or so before that. Sometimes I've had problems with overfeeding, some food is too small or they don't eat it so it goes to bottom and I have to vac it. Thats about it. No QT setup for about week or so, so can't get him out of the tank. Thanks everyone.

Well, the nitrates could come down 10ppm or so, but nothing critical. This 'tan worm'....can you better describe it and how it swam (motion), please?

It swam sporadically upwards, in like an "S" shape over and over squriming kinda. light tan about 1 cm long maybe less, pretty thin at least compared to like black worms.

Could have been some sort of expelled internal nematode...possibly a tapeworm....I would go ahead with an internal parasite cure and see what results.

..... well I got him some internal parasite meds, but I guess he must eat it and I don't think he will.... he's looking worse and worse. So skinny and his head kinda looks like a snake now, with like marks and kinda patterns, just happened. His head and gills have like a reddish tint to them now.

Gel-tek, designed only for internal parasites. One more thing, I noticed in the breeder cell Im holding him in, there is a white thing, that has like a stalk and then 5 little appendages, kinda small but very hard to pull of wall.

RIP- Mr. Chinese Algae Eater, he put up a good fight...but. TOD- 6:30, while I was setting up another tank. :cry:

Great fish a walking upon the golden gates of Fish Heaven.

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

ETERNAL rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.

Requiem

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you gave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)

Latest posts

Back