Vaccuming Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarfree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I need some info on this subject, so here it goes. How do you vaccum gravel? Do you have to take out water or fish? Do you need a special vaccum? If so what kind and how much are they? Do you need to vaccum if you have a filter?

TIA

well it really depends on how much work do you want to do in comparison to the cost of the gravel vacuum. I personally use and recomend a nice little device called a python (the 50 foot one costs about $75 canadian). This "toy" simply hooks up to your faucet in any sink that is close at hand. You then turn it on and it causes a suction for you to clean the gravel. You go back to the sink and flick a little twist valve and you can fill the tank back up. it is really simple.
How do you vaccum gravel?
Well, you get a device like i mentioned above and you move it around your gravel. The syphon action will remove all the waste from your fish.

Do you have to take out water or fish?
Don't take out the fish but water will be removed. a weekly water change is always recommended (10% or so a week)

Do you need a special vaccum?

no you don't. as i stated above, i recommend the python for the ease of it all. When you go out and buy a syphon for your tank, make sure it is for cleaning gravel.

If so what kind and how much are they?

Gravel vacuums can range in price anywhere from $20 to $90 (again i recommend the python)

Do you need to vaccum if you have a filter?

Absolutely. Vacuuming gets rid of all the fish and leftover food waste (if any) that can potentially harm the tank and your fish.

Don't make it harder on yourself, get the Python. I am a complete newbie too and I have already found this device to be invaluable. And I bought it at Big Al's for $25 US :)

When you "vacuum" the gravel the rigid syphon hose (Python or regular gravity-driven syphon) will suck up water and debris but it is not strong enough to suck up the gravel, so if you dig the hose into the gravel it will remove debris.

Don't remove the gravel from the tank for cleaning if you can possibly help it - it contains tons of beneficial bacteria that are as much a filter as the one you have plugged in, so keeping it in the tank and fed by the waste of the fish is top priority.

Except for my 5-15 gallon tanks I use a Python, too, and would not be without it!

OK :) I love to vaccum and You dont need a python unless you have alot of tanks or a really big one.

Prepare a gallon of water or so to replace with. During vaccuming you can stop and add this water so you dont have togo running to the sink.

Heres the steps

1. Get the water flowing pinch the hose with your other hand.

2. Stick tube into gravel.

3. Release the pinch and vaccum gravel

4. Pinch the hose with your other hand again.

5. Move vaccum to another spot.

6. Repeat

Get a vaccum that self primes its much easier. If you have the old type just put the whole thing and the hose in the water and pinch the end your taking out put it in the bucket then release it and it should start flowing.

Make sure when replacing any water it is the same Temp and PH.

You need to get a shypihn and I suggest taking about 20% of the water out for a routine water change about everyother week. Also make sure to declorinize you wateR! 8O

A cheaper option is to get a water bed filler/drainer, a regular siphon/vac, and some extra hose. The drainer is basically the piece that makes the python work. Difference: the waterbed doohickey costs less than 5 bucks. The problem is getting the hose to match your adapter. Try hose suppy shops or get creative. Then sit back and admire your own brilliance and frugallity.

Back
Top Bottom