Vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I gave my African cichlids zucchini like
Once or twice they do not seem to interested. I do feed Occasional peas ... Not the shell..

The reason I was asking is that a buddy of mine has a 180g Malawi tank that turns in to a shark style feeding frenzy when he feeds cucumber. They love it as much if not more than NLS.

pcock said:
The reason I was asking is that a buddy of mine has a 180g Malawi tank that turns in to a shark style feeding frenzy when he feeds cucumber. They love it as much if not more than NLS.

I've not tried cucumber.. I think the more u try it the more they know what it is and like it ...

I feed my fish zucchini and just today, gave them asparagus which they are eating...maybe once they get the idea, they will eat most anything...I am going to try peas and cucumber soon.

Aspencer said:
I feed my fish zucchini and just today, gave them asparagus which they are eating...maybe once they get the idea, they will eat most anything...I am going to try peas and cucumber soon.

Peas work well for my goldies and cichlids ;) they love it

My two german blue rams like peas (without shells) the young female loves to play around with a pea before actually eating it.

i fed mine carrots he wasnt a great fan at first but he ate 3 peices

HUKIT said:
Theses fish in the wild don't have access to zuchini, peas, or carrots it's not a natural instinct for them.

That's true but in the wild even carnivores have some sort of green in their diet. So for us to supplement them some greens once in a while actually do them good!

Hubert90 said:
That's true but in the wild even carnivores have some sort of green in their diet. So for us to supplement them some greens once in a while actually do them good!

+1

I think the key point is, is that you're taking a species and sticking it in a box full of water. The wild part becomes moot and I feed mine what I have avaliable. Besides in the wild they don't get fed NLS pellets either lol.

+1

I think the key point is, is that you're taking a species and sticking it in a box full of water. The wild part becomes moot and I feed mine what I have avaliable. Besides in the wild they don't get fed NLS pellets either lol.

The point was not a nutritional one but the fact they're not instinctively going to eat it, it carries a different texture and color than what they're used to eating and will need to be trained. I've given up on discussing nutrition with everyone, since everybody here is a trained certified Internet forums nutritionist.

HUKIT said:
The point was not a nutritional one but the fact they're not instinctively going to eat it, it carries a different texture and color than what they're used to eating and will need to be trained. I've given up on discussing nutrition with everyone, since everybody here is a trained certified Internet forums nutritionist.

+1, Fish don't need veggies or "treats" just a diet of high quality pellets and PWCs.

I don't plan on feeding veggies. I was just bringing up a discussion that was a little different than the run of the mill stocking thread that we all get so bored of. I'm more than happy feeding my NLS and I know it has all the proper nutrients.

Mogurako said:
+1, Fish don't need veggies or "treats" just a diet of high quality pellets and PWCs.

If fish are not go receive any greens in their diet. They wouldn't do as well as those which do! However the greens dont have to be in a form of a vege.

Back
Top Bottom