Very confused - Plants vs Caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAnchors

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 6 red eye tetras and 5 black phantom tetras in a 28 gallon high tank. There is a little "forest" for the fish to hide in and I made them a cave. First of all why won't they go in the cave? Its big so I thought that it would be a good hiding place ( when they get scared they all rush to the forest). Second one of my black phantom tetras is missing his tail fin ( and is slowly dieing :C), so I am wondering if that is going to happen to my other black phantoms. Thirdly I don't think my black phantoms are eating because the red eyes get to the food before they do. Lastly are any of the fish I purchased painted or "juiced" because I didn't think they were but now that I am looking at them I am worried that they may be. ahhh please help!

ok I know this is alot, so maybe if someone could just answer one that would help me out alot!

Some fish don't like caves and prefer plants. As for the tetras, the red eyes are pretty peaceful fish when kept in groups of 5 or more which you have but they don't attack they just get nippy. Black's on the other hand sometimes make a pecking order and the males will attack each other for dominance usually not causing any harm, but this time it seems it has. I would watch for a pesky phantom and see if there is a culprit. As for the injured fish, if you can quarantine him that would be the beat care but if not just watch your tank and make sure the others let him be.

Try another food maybe sinking pellets.
None of those fish are painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I second the phantoms! My three have been known to nip, especially around feeding time. Try and get some more females, it should help.

+1 to Tracey, some fish feel more secure hiding in the forest versus the cave.

How log have you had your fish, the nipping should stop once they become more use to each other as a group.

If one, as you said, is badly bitten, keep up your with your weekly water changes, clean water will prevent an infection and hopefully he will recover completely.

well its the next day and everyone still has there tails! The fish that got his tail ripped off died and sometimes the a fish will go into the cave just for fun. I am going to surround it with plants because I feel like they all prefer the forest.

Back
Top Bottom