Very sick betta - euthanise? I need advice please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys

So basically my tank went through an ammonia spike and this seems to have taken a massive effect on my betta.

He is not looking well at all even though I have managed to get the ammonia down. Black gills, heavy breathing, pine coning, not eating unless i use tweezers to put food near his mouth, popeye, struggling to swim to top. The pine coning says to me that his kidneys are failing, classic dropsy. Im not sure what else can cause pine coning? Fish TB? God, i hope not.

I put him in a little net thing near the surface so he can get air via labyrinth as i think his gills are burned from ammonia. I feel so sorry for the poor guy. I think I might have to sadly euthanize with clove oil.. I hate to see him struggle or be uncomfortable. I think the stress from the meds plus the ammonia has caused all this trouble (causing the dropsy/pineconing and other symptoms)

What do you think? Each day he just seems to be getting worse... Ive tried AQ salt and medication but this just seems to make it worse. He is about 2 years old also. Each day he has a new symptom, i see no improvement. Its been 7 days now.

Id hate to euthanise him hut i feel i need to stop his suffering. The poor thing is gasping for air. He looks really bad :(

People say its just a fish but he was so lively one upon a time, out of all my fish he was the one who has a personality of some type and the one i was most intrigued by. This is so hard!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would let him go without the pain. Clove oil works best, as mentioned. They're not just fish, they're living animals that we have decided to take care of and we need to provide for them. It sounds like you've done everything you can and that you seem truly committed to this fish, but sometimes we just need to let go. That's just my personal opinion. So sorry about the fish.

I have had to do it also. Sucks but I am sure you made the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom