want to get a new tank. What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat1103

Aquarium Advice Freak
my husband and I really would like to get a bigger tank. I'm thinking a 36gal or 46gal. I'm also debating between having a freshwater community tank or cichlid tank. Any thoughts or suggestions? thanks!

Cichlids are a slightly brackish but mostly freshwater fish. If you plan on doing them, you have to be careful about making sure they all come from the same lake, or you can have a world of trouble. Even certain species from the same lake can be aggressive towards one another, so that's something to keep in mind.

I like both sets of tanks. I actually have one of both, to be honest. In my freshwater aquarium, I have a female betta, a black molley, a dalmatian molley, a cremecicle lyretail molley, a pleco and an African Dwarf Frog. In my cichlid tank, I have:
1 Yellow Lab x Red Zebra hybrid
1 Jewel or Hemichromis guttatus
2 Red Zebras or Metriaclima estherae (Red)
1 Metriaclima lombardoi?
1 Labidochromis sp. Hongi young male?

My two newest ones I'm unsure about their breed, since no one seems to be able to tell me.

I guess it's your call as to what you want, what you think you'd be able to handle stresswise on yourself (cichlids are agressive, and I know mine have stressed me out with their occasional nipping and aggression), but I wish you luck on whatever you decide!

I think that either way you can't go wrong...I would pick out some of the fish that I would want in a cichlid tank. Then do the same for the community tank and then see which one you like better.

I'm running a lake malawi cichlid tank now in my 55. They are probably some of the most colorful and active fish you can find. BUT you need to research til your eyes fall out or face a mess of trouble later.

I did not stock my tank appropriately so now I will be rehoming several and trying to get a proper ratio of male/females. I also mixed some haps with my mbuna's which is usually a no no but i have had zero issues. Probably cause I'm a bit oversotcked so it keeps the aggression down.

But definitely research that would be my first and most important suggestion.

I'm running a lake malawi cichlid tank now in my 55. They are probably some of the most colorful and active fish you can find. BUT you need to research til your eyes fall out or face a mess of trouble later.

I did not stock my tank appropriately so now I will be rehoming several and trying to get a proper ratio of male/females. I also mixed some haps with my mbuna's which is usually a no no but i have had zero issues. Probably cause I'm a bit oversotcked so it keeps the aggression down.

But definitely research that would be my first and most important suggestion.

LOL sounds like fun! I have to "research until my eyes fall out" with my community tank just the same. So hard to keep everyone happy and stress free!

They get to swim around at home all day while I'm out working, paying the bills, and providing them dinner and they are STILL stressed out :eyes:

Ram tanks are always nice!! Cichlid's, in my opinion are a lost more fun to watch, and observe that community fish.

I will definitely be doing lots of research. thanks for the advice :) we are going to look at tanks this weekend at a local owned fish store (better selection and prices than petsmart/petco). I think I'm going to try to cycle it "fishless" though. I've heard that cichlids tend to eat live plants. Has anyone heard that? I really want live plants and if I'm going to have trouble with that we may just do a community tank.

A plant really doesnt stand a chance against my cichlids. I know better. Not sure about New world cichlids tho...they might not be munchers

i agree mfdrookie. And, dwarf Cichlids are a better bet if you want live plants, mine may pick here and there, but they certainly don't eat enough of them for me to notice. They also don't pick them up and move them around like the larger Cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom