Want to try cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its mbuna, and they need a 55 gallon tank minimum. Discus I believe need an even larger tank like 75 gallons.

its mbuna, and they need a 55 gallon tank minimum. Discus I believe need an even larger tank like 75 gallons.

I've heard of people keeping discus in a 55g. Just only like 4-5 of them.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Good point. I've never had them either. They don't need constant needs, just low nitrogen wastes, high tempurature, and quality diet.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

And you consider this to not be "constant needs" ? You've previously admitted having little to no knowledge of them and it's blatantly obvious. I'd recommend not offering any more until you really get a decent background of what they're all about.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I made it seem like I have no knowledge. No experience doesn't mean no knowledge. I think I'll just go away and not read this...

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

I would love to do discus but...

1. they are not sold in my area.
2. They are expensive(more so because I'd have to order them)
3. I don't think I have the time to care for the constant needs of discus as I have seen in many threads.
4. I don't think I've quite got enough experience yet to care for them.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g tetras/dojo loach/clown pleco

1. Fairly commonly not available in all areas.
2. Yes they are expensive but not necessarily because you'd have to order them. A crappy supplier (and there are many to stay away from) are pretty cheap.
3. I'm pleased you have the courage to admit this.
4. I'm more pleased to hear this.

Discus are not impossible. They are easier once you get the hang of it, as long as you follow the unwritten "rules".

5-6 Discus are perfectly fine in a 55g. It's the most often recommended tank for starting out with them. Unless somebody's starting with juvies, then a smaller tank for growout purposes.

1. Fairly commonly not available in all areas.
2. Yes they are expensive but not necessarily because you'd have to order them. A crappy supplier (and there are many to stay away from) are pretty cheap.
3. I'm pleased you have the courage to admit this.
4. I'm more pleased to hear this.

Discus are not impossible. They are easier once you get the hang of it, as long as you follow the unwritten "rules".

Thanks. I am gone at work from 5am-6pm of not being home, 6 days a week. That's why I couldn't do discus right now lol. I get 3-4 hours of awake time at home to prepare for the next day and check on my tanks. I love the hobby and discus are beautiful I just don't have the time with my job to pay that much attention to my tanks. If I were home more and had more $$$ I'll try them one day.

I've read some of those unwritten rules on SimplyDiscus :)

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.

I asked the guy at my LFS ( a fish hobbyist for 42 years and a discus expert ) about discus minimum tank size and he said maybe 5-6 adults in a 55 gallon but a 29 gallon would do for a breeding pair or 4-6 youngsters.

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

Back
Top Bottom