Wanting Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewilson83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was wondering if it's possible to have an anemone for my 6 gal fluval edge? Any suggestions?

I didn't add that I have a clown fish, a sleeper head goby, a few snails and hermit crabs.

Probably not a good idea with that tank. The stock lighting on it is not enough for an anemone. If you upgraded the lighting enough that it *was* enough, then you'd probably have temperature problems because of the design of the tank.

Anemones for that small of a tank are not normally recommended (regardless of lighting) because it is difficult to keep the water quality stable enough for their overall health.

I'm a bit confused by your post. You seem to have answered your own question!

Clowns don't *need* anything to live in. They can do just fine by themselves. Even with corals available, they may still want to "adopt" something else. Like a heater or powerhead.

???? That was weird. It was some kind of glitch because I only ask was there any other coral they can dwell in. The pics and the 1yr advice must have cam from someone else. Nice pics though. Who ever it was. You are right because my clown chills near the algae eraser like it's his or hers lol. Thanks for the advice.

For some reason those were my pics but I posted to a question that asked about corals that clowns would host. Dont know what happened though. I removed my pics. Dont know what happened to your question though. I`ll check into it .

i think you two like merged posts trying to post at the same time is what it looked like, kind of strange..

but like most have said above, skip the nem and get a nice frogspawn or something similar, if they host then they do.

would definitely love to see a pic and some specs of your edge though!

depends, most people who want an edge reef will mod the lights so they can keep corals, im not sure on what he did though

I switched the lights for more wattage. I have a xenia right now and it's doing great. My brother is going to frag a frogspawn for me. I'm crossing my fingers. I look on amazon at some LCD bulbs. Have any of y'all heard how good or bad they are?

Could LED lights work? I've seen mini LED fixtures that have blue and white lights... hang them high enough so they don't bleach the corals; also no temp problems

LEDs could definitely work, my GF (jenatronQT3.14159 on here) has these LEDs on her edge, literally plug into the exsisting sockets, but she's also planning on adding a 13w CF bulb mounted on the light arm (another common thing people do for edge reefs, and we dont think the LEDs would be enough), and some blue LEDs for color. she's looking into a frogspawn herself, so definitely keep us updated so we can see how it goes!

The LED's are great. I've added the frogspawn about 5 days ago and it's thriving. The LED's seem to work good. I have another question I wanted to keep my nitrates down in this small aquarium so I wanted to use some "chaeto". Can I put it in my filter or my tank?

Does your filter get plenty of light? If so then yes. And you can put chaeto in your tank if you dont have any herbivores that would eat it.

you can do either, but id suggest adding it to the filter, but youll want to modify it so it doesnt get into the tank, it does need light so there will definitely be some modification needed, you can definitely google fluval edge filter refugium mod or aquaclear refugium mod and find some guides. PWCs should be all you need to keep your nitrates down

Will it grow/fast? How much light and how long does it need to stay on for?

yeah for a nano pwcs will be fine, unless you have a real need for phos and trate removal youll be good

Back
Top Bottom