Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyingbulldog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Doing a water change on a 60 gallon. All parameters are within standards. How much salinity for a five gallon bucket?

My water is at 1.025.

I know I don't want to add a 1.025?

Are you using tap water or RO-DI water? Most LFS will sell a 5 gallon bucket of pre-mixed water for 5 or 6 bucks.

If you will be mixing up your own water, I would put together a 20 gallon tank with powerheads and filter and run the water through it for 24 hours to ensure the salt is mixed good. I would say make it the same salinity as the tank so it doesn't change it. 1.023-1.025 is good. And don't add salt water when topping off evaporated water. Add regular RO-DI.

Flyingbulldog said:
Doing a water change on a 60 gallon. All parameters are within standards. How much salinity for a five gallon bucket?

My water is at 1.025.

I know I don't want to add a 1.025?

I use Instant Ocean salt mix for my 100th reef. I mix in 5g bucket about 1 hour before adding. My tank is at 1.025 and mix water the same salinaty. Never had a problem.

90291 said:
I use Instant Ocean salt mix for my 100th reef. I mix in 5g bucket about 1 hour before adding. My tank is at 1.025 and mix water the same salinaty. Never had a problem.

Best to use a refractometer to check salinaty. Don't add salt to top off evaporated water.

If your doing an actual water change not just top off then you want to Match the salinity of the tank.

Your tank evaporates water..when doing so the salt stays in the tank and increases the salinity of your remaining water. That's why you too off with regular Ro water so the salinity is then back to what it was.

When you do a water change...in taking out x gallons you are removing the water and salt it contains. So you want to replace that water with the same amount of salt to maintain that balance.

My routine is fill a 5 gal bucked with Ro/di water, add salt. And place a heater and power head in it for a day or 2 to mix and heat the water to the same as the tank. Then I check salinity. Empty 5 gallons and then add the new 5 gallons.

For a 150 gallon tank how many gallons should be taken out for water change 5 or 10 gallon bucket ok, like to be ready when I start hobby sone tips advice also following along on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom