Water Changer ate my Cory!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I sucked up a cory, one of my pandas!! I was just doing a head count and I am missing him. I herded them all into a corner, and looked. I am short 2 cories and the only change has been the substrate, which I changed with a very THIN tube, and then my water changer. The water changer hose I guess is round enough for a panda cory.
What do you think? I tore everybody up, plants decor, everything, not a sign. :hide:

I can't find him anywhere!! I just had to put down another cory due to untreatable illness. Now this, its the only panda cory of 2 that survived in my tank. I have had 6 in the past year.
Its a sad day. I hope he waggles out of a corner HEY MA! But i don't see him.

Believe it or not I put a net under the connector where to water comes out to catch any water sliders/tube surfers. I've caught Rachovii killifish and a very small WCMM before.

I have done this to a cory also. It was so sad. It must have done some trauma to him because he ended up dying. I now watch what im doing at all times with that thing.

Knock on wood I've only sucked up shrimp before. Now while dumping I use a net just in case. Also catches moss I don't want to loose.

Mine didn't actually go through the tube he plugged up the inlet right before the tube and was stuck there until I could get it out of the water :(

What kind of pressure do you have on those things?? I have fish swim right up the syphon then turn around and swim right back out!

I looked and looked and took apart my water changer and no sign of him. I'll try again with new guy in a couple weeks.

i'm kinda baffled(sp) as to how you sucked up a cory... he must have been really small.

i have 9 corys in my 125g and they love the water changer... them and my clown loaches will swim right into while i'm draining water out, it freaked me out when they first did it but they've never actually gotten sucked up so now its more of an annoyance to have to kinda shake them out before i shove it into the gravel...

I bough a used tank once. While I was siphoning the water (out the guys window) he was telling me about his 'unkillable' danio... Poor thing went right out the hose. The poor silver dollar he had in the tank got stuck to the hose also and had a circle imprinted on him for quite awhile... I felt terrible. I wanted to get the fish out first but he kept insisting I wait till the water was super low...

I bought a used tank last month and re-homed the last surviving fish, a parrot fish who was too big for the tank. Last week I was digging through the bucket of stuff from the tank and picked up a big resin bridge decoration and noticed it rattled. I shook it real hard and a very dead, very dried out cichlid fell on the garage floor. I'm sure the seller never could figure out what happened to her other fish. :nono: Beware of those decorations that could entrap a fish!

Im sorry about your cory, but maybe he is just hiding out somewhere. I have a guppy named Houdini, because he disappears for days at a time, wont come out for feeding time even, and I swear, I have turned that tank upside down more than once looking for his body, only to see him swimming around like no big deal a few hours later. There are a few choice other names I could have given him, but Houdini seemed the most appropriate. Haha.
Also, I sucked up my dwarf gourami (who is fully grown). I had no idea he could even fit in that skinny tube, but sure enough, slurped him right up. Luckily I was watching and was able to pinch off the water flow and set him free. He ended up no worse for the wear, and still wont stay away from the siphon. Lol

Sorry about your fish. Your not alone. Just the other day my water changer took a small yellow lab for its last ride :(

I know i shouldn't be amused, but when i read your post, convict, I pictured a small yellow lab dog with his head out the window in the wind. Seriously though, sorry for your losses.
I sucked up my smallest harlequin rasbora a few weeks ago, but he just shot into the bucket, and I netted him back into the tank. Lucky for me he was so small.

He's not in ay decor and I plan on getting him a buddy soon. I lost him apparently the week I started leaning my water changer. I have shook up all decor in there and he is no where to be found still.

Just snuck out though and got 3 female CPDs and 1 huge blue Shrimp and 1 RCS Female

Back
Top Bottom