Water Changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennyyoli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After doing the bucket shuffle for awhile, I was finally able to purchase one of the Aqueon Water Changers and I am really happy with how easy it makes the water changes. My question is this; I had read somewhere that chlorinated tap water can kill beneficial bacteria on contact. I turn off the filters as I am filling and add the conditioner as I am refilling. Is that the right sequence to keep from killing BB? Thanks in advance for the advice :)

I normally just dose the dechlor, and then start filling. Now when you do it this way, you wanna dose the full tank volume. You can turn off the filters if you want tho, to be safe.

I also dose right before adding the new water, but I only dose for the amount of water I'm changing out. Been using this method for 7 years and no problems yet. (y)

I also dose right before adding the new water, but I only dose for the amount of water I'm changing out. Been using this method for 7 years and no problems yet. (y)

I agree, I've never under stood the practice of dosing for the entire tank volume.

HUKIT said:
I agree, I've never under stood the practice of dosing for the entire tank volume.

My understanding is that since you are not pretreating the water, it would be harder for a smaller volume of dechlor to do its job quick enough, being dilluted more... Idk tho lol I still do it that way anyways

I shoud have clarified that statement, I'm fully aware of the theory behind why so I should have said I disagree with the concept of treating the entire tank volume.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom