Water changes, how do you manage big tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There should be a thing on the end of the faucet that screws off?

I'm going to have to double check when I get home from work. I thought it was flush with just a plastic aerator on it. If so...I'm getting one of these pythons..been lugging buckets for 3 years, lol.

The only bummer is this will only work in the cooler months in Phoenix, in the summer our tap water comes out over 90 degrees so I have to add ice to get to 78 degrees.

Thanks for your help!

Hi i still use buckets! Keeps me fit! But place the water into a water butt then dechlorinate it and adjust the temperature then simply pump it into which ever tank i am working on. Or i simply 'syphon the water from the kitchen sink directly into the tank - ideal for when its cold or wet! My fish are in me garden shedd

So many answers. But we seem to have a problem in the UK, we dont have these water changes !!! Searched and searched. Only one I could find was USA at a cost of $60.41 + $49.57 postage.

So, unless any UK members can come up with something, going to have to cobble something up. Concerns I have is the temp of water. My tank temp is usually around 72, but the cold water tap is freezing cold. Dont want to shock the fish. :eek: Certainly dont want a sink & drum in my lounge!

Aerators

I have a question about the Python water changer (or any other brands). None of the faucets in our house have either male or female threaded connections. Is there an adapter that will work for these types of faucets?

If your sink faucets are any of the typical US type.
Delta, Moen, American Standard, Price Pfister, etc, or even some of the German brands, Hans Groe etc. Then they have an aerator screwed into the tip of the spout. Thats what makes the air bubble filled stream of water in your kitchen and bath faucets. They will screw out and inside you will fine washer, screens and often a plastic diverter for even water flow without splashing.

In fact if you experience reduced water flow, chances are the aerator is clogged with crud.

Screw it off, and the python should screw right on.

So many answers. But we seem to have a problem in the UK, we dont have these water changes !!! Searched and searched. Only one I could find was USA at a cost of $60.41 + $49.57 postage.

So, unless any UK members can come up with something, going to have to cobble something up. Concerns I have is the temp of water. My tank temp is usually around 72, but the cold water tap is freezing cold. Dont want to shock the fish. :eek: Certainly dont want a sink & drum in my lounge!
My suggestion is cheaper, and definitely available ;)

- Turn off filter
- Drain the water you are removing
- Add dechlorinator (I prefer Prime) directly into the tank based on the total volume of the aquarium (not just what you're replacing).
- Refill with temperature matched water (similar to the touch is good enough)
- Plug filter back in
- Rejoice in the fact no buckets were lifted :)

But, how do you get to temperature? and where's the refill water coming from, i.e. tub, sink tap :confused: pls

Water would be coming from the sink faucet. The way I do it, is hook up the hose, turn the water on with it flowing back into the sink. Adjust the water hot & cold until I get the desired temp, then I shut off the thumb valve on the end of my hose, drop it into the tank, and open the thumb valve.

Most tub spouts do not have an aerator that can be removed, thus no threads to screw on the python or hose adapter.

meBNme said:
Water would be coming from the sink faucet. The way I do it, is hook up the hose, turn the water on with it flowing back into the sink. Adjust the water hot & cold until I get the desired temp, then I shut off the thumb valve on the end of my hose, drop it into the tank, and open the thumb valve.

Most tub spouts do not have an aerator that can be removed, thus no threads to screw on the python or hose adapter.

Just wondering- do you think the water changer hose and stuff is worth it? (It costs 30$ where I am)

Just wondering- do you think the water changer hose and stuff is worth it? (It costs 30$ where I am)

Well, I made up my own hoses LOL.

But then, being a plumber/home improvement contractor, I had all the tools and supplies on hand.

With the ease of being able to just hook up a hose to a sink with hot & cold water and drain readily available, I would say yes, If you cant make your own, it would be well worth the 30 bucks, especially if you have a tank any more than 10 gallons.

meBNme said:
Well, I made up my own hoses LOL.

But then, being a plumber/home improvement contractor, I had all the tools and supplies on hand.

With the ease of being able to just hook up a hose to a sink with hot & cold water and drain readily available, I would say yes, If you cant make your own, it would be well worth the 30 bucks, especially if you have a tank any more than 10 gallons.

I have a ten gallon tank , a five gallon tank, and two one gallon tanks (for guppy fry) and I already can barely keep up with the water changes and maintenance. I am also getting a 36 gallon tank soon, so I will definitely get it. I will just ask for it from my brother for my birthday. Lol

I just got the Aqueon water changer and absolutely love it. I used it yesterday and it worked perfectly. I'm a senior and it really saved me a lot of work and time. I bought it online at Drs. Foster and Smith which was much cheaper. I bought the 18" extension tube but can't figure out how to replace it with the included 11" tube.
I wish I could help you, but I don't even have one! LOL :)

Im curious about these also. How do you refill the water with declorinator do i just pour it in their while the fish are in there

Im curious about these also. How do you refill the water with declorinator do i just pour it in their while the fish are in there

I have over 200 fish tanks. If it was'nt for the python I would never be able to do this.
I remove water with a small water pump with one hose and fill the tanks with the python with another hose while adding declorinator as I fill. It works just fine. Adjust temp before you fill.

I have over 200 fish tanks. If it was'nt for the python I would never be able to do this.
I remove water with a small water pump with one hose and fill the tanks with the python with another hose while adding declorinator as I fill. It works just fine. Adjust temp before you fill.

200 HUNDRED+ TANKS !!!!!

Well, found out why we dont have many of these things in UK.. they cost approx $92 !

So, its hoses for me I'm afraid

Thanks for everyone's help

guppy grandma said:
200 HUNDRED+ TANKS !!!!!

Well, found out why we dont have many of these things in UK.. they cost approx $92 !

So, its hoses for me I'm afraid

Thanks for everyone's help

Even online? (15 char)

Unfortunately, yes. Online, they are direct imports from USA and although cheaper, they have the same amount pp added on top. There was a similar one on line in UK and they were selling for £60($92.76)..too much.

Most things over here are double the price of the USA, new big tanks are beyond a lot of peoples pockets now. Resession has really hit, prices shooting up, incomes coming down and big job losses, so unless your well off, most things fishy are pre used. Big fighting on Ebay for tanks etc.

Went and bought a hose and bits for the ends, fed across lounge, through cat flap and into drain, kept enough tank water in bucket to clean filter, and ornaments, then emptied 50% in minutes, wonderful!!! although cats were confused by the hose.

Cobbled attachment for mixer tap in sink and Bob's your uncle! tank filled in no time. Can feel my arms getting shorter by the minute, thanks guys :thanks:

I'm glad to hear you were able to rig something up. I know the bucket thing can be murder on your back. I did it for 5 years and I have 4 tanks. I finally got the Aqueon changer and wondered why I had used buckets for so long. I was unfortunately to late with the changer, I ended up with a huge hernia any way.
Before I ever started keeping fish I had already had 5 back surgeries, so lugging buckets back and forth was very unhealthy for me.
I was shocked to hear how much things cost in the UK. It's been rough here in the US being on a fixed income, but not as expensive as it is for you. Good luck, I hope the UK economy gets better for you.

Back
Top Bottom