Water Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannah02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

So I have a ten gallon tank with a heater set at 78 degrees for my glofish. It's been hot the past couple of days however and my water temp has rises to 90 degrees. All ten of my ghost shrimp have died and I'm worried for my fish. I have two fans on them, but it's just so hot. My air conditioning is broken, is there anything I can do? Will they be okay?

Thanks,
Hannah

What do you do water changes with? If your tap water is OK for them, I would try to do small water changes with water that isn't too much of a change in temp. If it's 90, I would do a 20% water change with say maybe 80 degree water once every hour of two. Shocking them is a concern we need to account for when changing two too fast, but tetras/danios/glofish are pretty tough.

Hello,

So I have a ten gallon tank with a heater set at 78 degrees for my glofish. It's been hot the past couple of days however and my water temp has rises to 90 degrees. All ten of my ghost shrimp have died and I'm worried for my fish. I have two fans on them, but it's just so hot. My air conditioning is broken, is there anything I can do? Will they be okay?

Thanks,
Hannah
Also, what are your parameters? When water temp increases, it's my understanding that ph rises as well, and that's another factor we need to mind. How many glofish do you have?

You can also float frozen water bottles in the tank but it's time consuming as you have to constantly have a frozen bottle on hand, also if your lids fit super tight you will have to open the lid a crack to let the heat out as the fan is cooling the water but the heat has no where to go as the lids are sealing it in, there are tank coolers/chillers but are quite expensive you can Google them if that's the route you want to take.

I like the frozen bottles thing, I suppose the heater would work to prevent the temp from getting too low, so that would definitely save some time. I also don't know if I would replace that many ghost shrimp in the tank, I believe 5 Tetra would pretty much be the max for that size unless your filter is better than most stock ones. Maybe just go with 3 or 4 if you want them.

Back
Top Bottom