What a sucker!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well... I bought another tank. For no good reason other than the fact that I am a huge sucker for a deal. For $40 bucks, its 28x18x15 (30-35 gal?) plus a reeeeally nice canopy this guy made himself out of oak with light fixtures for 2 flourescents and a couple of halogens already in there. Plus 3 BIG buckets of gravel and a huge box of gorgeous rocks!!

I am thinking of an angelfish tank, but I realistically won't do anything with this for a year or so! :D :D

You're right... the fish are a great reason! Except that I just got started cycling a new 55 gallon lol! I like the tanks that are a little shorter and fatter than the long skinney ones, so this 33 (thanks btw) is great!

Any suggestions for what a tank like this would be ideal for? Angels was just a random idea...

I'm thinking MTS!!! LOL. You have been bitten. Angelfish would be a nice centerpiece for the tank. Just don't add a school of neons to the tank, the angelfish will feast on them. :D

that is the exact size i wanted to start a planted tank. perfect layout in my opinion. u should try that. u seem to have a hood designed for plants already so why not try? plus u dont have to wait for the cycle. u can start planting right away so u actually have something to do while u are cycling. post in the planted section with the specifics of your lighting and u will get lots of suggestions and ideas. if not i would say try some angles or rams or apistos. very attractive fish.

Wow, what a steal for 40 bucks! I would have gotten it for sure. I like your idea for an angel tank. It would be beautiful. A school of pretty tetras like glowlights, black phantoms, or green fires would look awesome, and then I'd add a few sterbai corys for bottom feeders to finish it off. That's what I would do anyway, I'm sure you'll come up with something great on your own though. Any pics? I'd like to see that custom canopy.

Here is my super awesome canopy. I think am in love with it. I don't know yet but I might construct some kind of acrylic cover to minimize evaporation from the lights, since it is very dry where I live. Don't know about that yet though. The tank got stuffed in a corner that required some severe furniture movement so I just whipped off the top and snapped a few. The kitties were quite interested...
img_701715_0_a66be8e9f70320a2853d72bd025d7c19.jpg

By the way, the big spot on the middle of this one is a result of my wickedly awesome camera, its not actually on the wood...
img_701715_1_34a15aa4d49658844193fb2fc8457958.jpg

img_701715_2_43d717e611447b3b341b730337f70008.jpg

So wait, you put a glass top on the tank and then this canopy correct?

And that is a steal of a deal.

The tank has a ledge on it for this canopy to sit on, so it doesn't have to sit on a glass top. But I thought I should have something between the lights and the water, so I was thinking of a sheet of acrylic. Although I bet its not any cheaper... I dunno. For the time being its making a very nice end table to my desk and serving as storage for all the junk I've had lying around setting up my 55 to cycling.

Acrylic sheets are very cheap and easy to cut with basic wood cutting powertools using some soap and water for a lubricant and keeping the blade low.

The only problem you might have is the edges may be rough unless you have a buffer to smooth it out. In highschool when I was in a plastics shop, we used a Tripoli polish on a soft wheel for the courser buffering and no polish on the other soft wheel for the polishing.

go to homedepot in the windows and doors section where they cut glass- they have pcs of plastic (plexi) you can even get cool colored plexi to make a dramatic glow . And if you take your measurements with you you can even get them to cut it to the size you want - 2 cuts free- and like a dollar and change or so a cut there after ( i think) been acouple years sense i worked at home depot lol .. Nice canopy - And i like your kitty- Lil fur ball :) hehehe. Cute.

Back
Top Bottom