What are blue lights Exactly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting a 4bulb T5HO Fixture for my 75gallon Low-Tech planted tank. I only need 2x 54Watt white bulbs to get my 1.44 wpg ideal for a Low-Tech tank. the other 2 bulbs i want to put "Blue" bulbs in for now because I plan on going High-Tech later and then i will replace the 2 blue bulbs with 2x whites. For the time being however id like the color effect that the blue lights put into the water. Here is were my question is however, Is a "Blue Light" a Actinic Bulb or is it a Aqau Blue+ bulb or iv seen it refered to as a Color enhancing bulb. I basicly need to know what to look for so i can buy 2 of these mystery bulbs to me.

Blue light = Moonlight = Actinic
My understanding is that they all mean the same thing

moonlights are typically LED lights that serve no purpose other than for nighttime viewing.

Actinics are definitely blue, the color temperature on the bulbs I've seen is usually 14000k-18000k or higher. Even a white 10000k bulb has a little bit of a bluish tint to it, so you can imagine how blue a higher rated bulb would be.

Bubble_B0y said:
Blue light = Moonlight = Actinic
My understanding is that they all mean the same thing

Just to clarify, lunar (moonlight) strips are different from actinic...lunars are LED's as Jeta said. I wouldn't consider leaving an actinic bulb on overnight like you can with the blue LED's. They actually are very bright and would totally disrupt any type of day / night cycle for the fish IMO.

I dont need the blue light for anything more then just bringing out the colors in the tank, it wont be being left on at night it would be on during the day. maybe what im looking for doesnt exsist, I guess im just looking for something thats going to enhance all the colors of my fish and plants nothing more then that

Actinics will do that. They don't give much usable light for freshwater plants, they are designed for corals, so in a freshwater application their main use is just for aesthetics because they are blue. I was just explaining what color temperature actinics usually are, so that they are easier to pick out.

Do some quad fixtures have a feature that allows you to keep two bulbs on during the day, then switch to the other two for night? Does anyone have one like that?

Actinics will do that. They don't give much usable light for freshwater plants, they are designed for corals, so in a freshwater application their main use is just for aesthetics because they are blue. I was just explaining what color temperature actinics usually are, so that they are easier to pick out.

heres my problem iv checked all my lfs and im rather sure all the Actinics are T8 and i will be using T5

Do some quad fixtures have a feature that allows you to keep two bulbs on during the day, then switch to the other two for night? Does anyone have one like that?
Well yeah, pretty much every newer quad fixture I've seen has multiple switches to control the amount of lights you run. However, actinics are not for night viewing, LED moonlights are. LED moonlights are just a basic low power strip of LED lights that give you just enough visibility into the tank to see whats going on without disturbing the fish.

heres my problem iv checked all my lfs and im rather sure all the Actinics are T8 and i will be using T5

You can order them online. If there is a LFS that supplies saltwater stock anywhere near you they should have some, or can get them for you as well. Either way, if you don't have the 4x54w fixture yet you can order it with that bulb combination that you want.

If I was shopping for a fixture at the moment I'd probably go with the 3x54w planted tank fixture from catalina.

I have my mind set on a fixture i want a 4 bulb fixture so when i got high-tech so i can get up to 2.88wpg with 4x54w Bulbs

Hi,here are some experience about where to buy the car led bulbs:
The led bulbs have many woderful aspect:
1.it can save more power.
2.Cheap and beautiful.
Here i share my shopping experience about led light with you.
1.Where have the cheap and good led light:BangGood,DX,FP,etc
2.About the price:It is normally not more than 10$.
3.About the quality:I think it is good at present.

Just try to check these sites,maybe you will get some promotion.

Back
Top Bottom