What are fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanted to mention with plants and cichlids, my 55 is divided now and I packed plants into one area and put one type of fish there, and kept the Convicts in the non-plant area. Working really well and it allows the whole tank to have the benefits of being planted. Cichlids also don't seem to bother floating plants like Amazon frogbit, so don't be totally afraid of live plants in combo with Cichlids...

Pigeonfood said:
Should i be worried at all, if the ammonia lvl hasn't come down at all in 2 days, its still around 4ppm

No, it took 7 days for mine to budge. You're on the right track. Just test it every couple days.

Pigeonfood said:
Is also seems like my pH lvls are coming down very slowly, it was 8.2 sunday and its 7.8 now.

Hmm... It could be the bacteria putting out acidic waste, but it seems a little early for that. Just check it every day and let me know what it is. You sure it comes out of the tap at 8.2? Did you test directly from the tap or just once it's in the tank?

Yea you're right, the ph drops when the bacteria are getting their party on

After i put all the substrate, filter and decor in my tank i tested the pH and it came out as 8.2. So tbh idk if its like that right out of the tap, ill check after i get off work tonight. But if deckape and you think its the bacteria, well then I wont worry about it.

Em another thing.....im reading this other thread "Ammonia going down, no NitrItes?" and someone said that heavily planted tanks will not make ur bacteria create nitrItes!! is this true? cos if it is I need to know so I can remove some of me plants. feel such a newb asking question after question, but i have a very curious mind.

No, that's not true at all. Plants only reduce nitrAte levels. Don't worry about asking questions, you're asking good ones. I'm gonna send you an article I wrote later that will help you a ton...hopefully.

Em another thing.....im reading this other thread "Ammonia going down, no NitrItes?" and someone said that heavily planted tanks will not make ur bacteria create nitrItes!! is this true? cos if it is I need to know so I can remove some of me plants. feel such a newb asking question after question, but i have a very curious mind.

Yeah that isn't true. I have plants in my tanks and the cycle seems to be the same as a non-planted tank. The difference will be that the plants use the nitrates, etc.

I was just reading through this thread and I've got a couple things to add.

Charcoal is not useless, I have driftwood in both my tanks, and I run charcoal in my filters to remove the tannins. My water is crystal clear, whereas without the charcoal it would be the color of tea.

Once you hit your peak in nitrites, make sure to keep testing nitrate as well. When nitrate levels get too high it can stall out your cycle. I would do a PWC if nitrate hits 40ppm just to be safe.

just about any aquarium fish will adjust to any ph level (within reason). my water is quite hard and i have live plants, tetras (cardinal, black neon, glowlight, and ember), otos, and a pitbull pleco. everyone is thriving.

my advice is to stop testing your ph. wait until your cycle is completely over, then do a final ph test, and leave it at that. there are a couple natural ways to change your ph, but for the most part it is unnecessary.

mommytron said:

Charcoal is not useless, I have driftwood in both my tanks, and I run charcoal in my filters to remove the tannins. My water is crystal clear, whereas without the charcoal it would be the color of tea.

Once you hit your peak in nitrites, make sure to keep testing nitrate as well. When nitrate levels get too high it can stall out your cycle. I would do a PWC if nitrate hits 40ppm just to be safe.

just about any aquarium fish will adjust to any ph level (within reason). my water is quite hard and i have live plants, tetras (cardinal, black neon, glowlight, and ember), otos, and a pitbull pleco. everyone is thriving.

my advice is to stop testing your ph. wait until your cycle is completely over, then do a final ph test, and leave it at that. there are a couple natural ways to change your ph, but for the most part it is unnecessary.

I agree!

mommytron said:

I never meant charcoal is useless, I said it is dangerous to switch out a cartridge every month. Are you speaking to the pH down part? That is to add phosphates, not to adjust pH. IMO, pH does need to be monitored during the cycle as I had a major pH crash which came very close to damaging my cycle. Thanks for reading the article, unfortunately I couldn't add explanations for everything I mentioned due to the fact he article was so long already! I hope you agreed with most of it.

eco23 said:
I never meant charcoal is useless, I said it is dangerous to switch out a cartridge every month. Are you speaking to the pH down part? That is to add phosphates, not to adjust pH. IMO, pH does need to be monitored during the cycle as I had a major pH crash which came very close to damaging my cycle. Thanks for reading the article, unfortunately I couldn't add explanations for everything I mentioned due to the fact he article was so long already! I hope you agreed with most of it.

Sorry I was agreeing with Eco. He never said carbon was useless.

Back
Top Bottom