What are these and how do I eradicate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
So yesterday I changed out my substrate to black. And I see these little worms in the tank I had missed before? Here is a shot on the glass:
IMG_8489.jpg
And a few gliding across the bottom:
IMG_8437.jpgIMG_8436.jpg

I thought so based on pics I have found. This is a shrimp/snail tank. How should I treat to get rid of them.

You will need to relocate your shrimp and snails as to not kill them as well

I did a treatment similar to the one described in the post above:
I purchased Fenbendazole from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...8&qid=1491881031&sr=8-3&keywords=fenbendazole).
I put one packet of FenBen into a plastic Baggie and with a lacrosse ball I rolled the crystals into a fine powder. Added 100 mL of DI water, swished, and poured that into a clean, empty, clear plastic drinking bottle. Added another 100 mL to the baggie to rinse it out.
So here I have 250 mg of FenBen in 200 mL of water. The dosage I read from PlanetInverts was 0.1 g per 10 gallons (or 100 mg/10 gal). For a 20 gallon tank this should be enough. I let the solution sit for a day and after a good shake, added it to the tank. It took several hours for the milkiness to clear up.
The next morning I dropped in a small bottom feeder pellet. The shrimp slowly gathered around for a bite. So did the planaria. I counted at least a dozen in the first 10 minutes.
*I did an additional dose the next day. It took about 2-3 days and I saw no planaria after that.

I'm getting mixed info on the shrimp? Everything I have read says the snails have to be relocated. But the majority state it is safe for shrimp?

I recommend the Liquid Goat Dewormer found at the farm and ranch store, no issues with dissolving and it is a 100ml suspension so dosing measurement is easy. I have treated 2 tanks and had others treat too with inverts not going any where stayed in the tank, all was well. The dosing amount is important.

I've heard that it is safe at the minimum dose and I've also heard that a few shrimp were lost.

I recommend the Liquid Goat Dewormer found at the farm and ranch store, no issues with dissolving and it is a 100ml suspension so dosing measurement is easy. I have treated 2 tanks and had others treat too with inverts not going any where stayed in the tank, all was well. The dosing amount is important.

I already ordered the powder. I read about it being chunky. I have a mortar and a gram scale. I will crush it well and dissolve in water before adding.

I have been finding mixed info as well on them. Some people say they kill shrimp and snails. Other people say it's not true.

That is one issue with the powder that it is difficult to emulsify into the water.

As long as you do not over dose from the amount.

That is where you need to be specific and the "ah, that looks about right" way of measuring will kill shrimp and snails if too much. With your scale you should be fine. I can in no way mathmatically calculate a safe amount in the dog dewormer. So I would not use it even if it did mix easily, lol!!!

It is the same medicine. Though I don't know what the other ingredients are, as in the, non active ingredients like stuff to hold the tablets together, binders, etc. As Phoenix killer said, [paraphrased] I can't make a claim something works if I didn't use it. I am not one who used the powdered pills, but many people have positive experiences.

I can say that the Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer was like magic. After weeks and weeks and weeks of frustration. Bliss.

Why not stop all food going in for week or more and increase wc/vac.

Why not stop all food going in for week or more and increase wc/vac.

There you go !
They are an indication of surplus food or waste and waving a "helpful" flag for you..
Kill them? They are not hydra....
Reducing the source of food will help bring them into a manageable non noticeable level IMO..
On it may or may not kill shrimp or snails here is my understanding on meds in general;
Meds kill the infection .The low doses and directions are often just enough to kill the particular 'parasite/bacteria' .The strength of the med is what will determine the size of life form it will kill , so if you half dose the med the shrimp [in this case] would probably be fine.But if you went a little heavy as some directions will recommend depending on level of infestation you put the next size of life up the chain in a more vulnerable position .

I just completely removed all of the substrate Sunday. It was garnet and I vacuumed it all out and changed to black diamond. I rinsed the sponge prefilter. These worms must have been hanging out somewhere else to avoid being sucked up. When I fed the shrimp last night they came out hungry! I am going to treat the tank with a dose 75% of the recommended amount. I have lost many young snails and was wondering if the shrimp were responsible. Now I suspect it could be the worms.

This is also a great and easy DIY planaria trap...
Almost everyone should have what is needed for it..
th

Small piece of food in it and the worm enter.
It will definitely help catch those that don't die and is easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom