What cichlids are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidslover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403324893.166873.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403324904.851737.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403324915.564575.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403324927.512922.jpg

Does anybody know what are the cichlids in the pictures shown? Which photo shows the mbuna cichlids?

The top pic would be mixed mbuna and other "assorted Africans", looks like some Tanganykian Julies too.
The 2nd pic looks like juvie blue acara and/or Jack Dempsey's.
Third pic jewels and likely pink convicts.
Last pic is frontosa and peacocks.

How do I tell the difference between mbuna and tangs? And can the peacock and frontosas live with mbunas? Which fish exactly are mbunas?

Research your fish to learn the difference. Peacocks and mbuna are Malawi fish, front's and Julie's (Julidiochromis spp) are Tanganykian. Tanganykian fish come from higher pH and hardness than Malawi fish. Front's get relatively huge, need to be kept in large groups in really large tanks, and aren't compatible with peacocks or mbuna.

The orange fish in the first pic are most likely red zebras, the yellow w/black edged fins are electric yellow Labidchromis, the albinos are most likely zebras too, and there are a few others I'm not sure on species but they're also mbuna.

The silver fish with the sloped heads and the odd ones with irregular brown spots are Malawi fish but not mbuna, and it looks like a couple blue peacocks in there as well.

The yellow Lab's are the most relatively peaceful of the lot, zebras are generally holy terrors. They're all commercially bred/raised in FL fish farms. What size tank are you stocking?

There aren't any julidochromis in any of the pics. The only tanganyikans in this series of pics are the frontosa. Also the first pic also has some haps, I saw a dimidochromis compressiceps (I think that was mentioned) and some nimbochromis milomo

The only fish from these picture that can go in a 29 gallon are the pink convicts and the jewel cichlids (3rd picture). Mbuna, peacocks, and haps shouldn't be in less than a 4' tank. Frontosa get quite large and require a minimum of 180 gallons for a suitable group. Even the jack dempseys in the second pic require a 55 gallon for a single specimen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom