What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bearchumjs said:
Yeah. I guess some kinds of rocks can raise pH. I had gotten rocks from the river nearby. I'm going to soak them in water for a week and then test that water to verify that is what was raising my pH. I'm new to this too. I just learned that today actually. Rocks can raise pH, driftwood will lower pH. I didn't worry about my pH until every fish I put in the tank died. I have 3 left. The only thing that could be killing them is pH. All my other parameters are testing perfect. The fish show no signs of disease. It has to be high pH. Hopefully my last 3 survive!

That's interesting! I'm going to pm you so my questions don't hijack the thread..

Bearchumjs said:
Yeah. I guess some kinds of rocks can raise pH. I had gotten rocks from the river nearby. I'm going to soak them in water for a week and then test that water to verify that is what was raising my pH. I'm new to this too. I just learned that today actually. Rocks can raise pH, driftwood will lower pH. I didn't worry about my pH until every fish I put in the tank died. I have 3 left. The only thing that could be killing them is pH. All my other parameters are testing perfect. The fish show no signs of disease. It has to be high pH. Hopefully my last 3 survive!

Soak the rocks in prime for a few days and sometimes it will help with that.

this happened yesterday but.. I got rid of my dirt and black gravel. replaced it with pool filter sand in my 29g. I love the look off it. but I had 4 seripae tetras die..:(

awilson133 said:
this happened yesterday but.. I got rid of my dirt and black gravel. replaced it with pool filter sand in my 29g. I love the look off it. but I had 4 seripae tetras die..:(

That's awful!! I've got my pH down a little and my remaining 3 Rummies have color back in their faces. I hope your tank is ok now.

awilson133 said:
it is. my ammo is at 0.25 but should level out in a week or so.

Yeah, .25 shouldn't be what killed them. Just make sure that doesn't jump up any higher. And I thought fish keeping would be easy. HA!!

Alyxx said:
Did a 110% water change on my 5 gallon, a 50% on my 20 gallon, and a 50% on my 30 gallon. Rearranged stuff in all the tanks and cleaned the glass inside and out on all three. Cleaned up the cabinet in the 20's stand too.
And now, because the cat "missed" her litter box as I was standing less than a foot away working on the 30, it's time to change litter instead of water... Stupid cat.

Cat was jealous lol my dog acts up if I don't pay enough attn to her when i'm doing a wc or whatever. Silly animals!

I did a water change in my 8g betta tank.. did some "musical chairs" with a few fish. and bought a gallon size bag of java fern for $20. plant is healthy.. leaves are smaller than I want but its all pretty well intact .. down fall--- its covered in duckweed :/ I will be doing a lot of rinsing before it goes into my tank

View attachment 86265
I came across a similar deal todayAquarium Plants - Java Ferns, by the time I caught up with him, He only had 2.5 bags left. some of the plant had wilted because he left them in his car all day. What little water that was in the bag was hot to the point of it being uncomfortable to touch. I still salvaged a great deal of it.

My betta is also My New Best Friend. Last week I swapped him from my Daughters tank, And he watches me more than I watch Him.

Attachments

• IMG600.jpg
    IMG600.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG596.jpg
    IMG596.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 117
I got a new Marineland emperor 400 and some pool filter sand. I also added some peat moss to my filter media basket to help lower my pH. The sand has clouded up my water column. Should I run the filters to clear it up or let it stand with the filters off for a little while?

Bearchumjs said:
I got a new Marineland emperor 400 and some pool filter sand. I also added some peat moss to my filter media basket to help lower my pH. The sand has clouded up my water column. Should I run the filters to clear it up or let it stand with the filters off for a little while?

did you rinse it out really good? I would let it settle for a lil bit and then run your filter. so it doesnt tear it up.

awilson133 said:
did you rinse it out really good? I would let it settle for a lil bit and then run your filter. so it doesnt tear it up.

I thought I rinsed it really well. Apparently I did not do it nearly as well as I should have. I left the filters off for about 30 mins and then turned them on for 10 and now I'll leave them off for another 45. The water is starting to look a little better.

Bearchumjs said:
I thought I rinsed it really well. Apparently I did not do it nearly as well as I should have. I left the filters off for about 30 mins and then turned them on for 10 and now I'll leave them off for another 45. The water is starting to look a little better.

then you can turn em on and youll be fine!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom