What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a major tank clean on my 70g planted and my daughters 20long. Then went to lfs to discuss that all 6 oto cats I bought last week went fins up. They gave me instead 2 nice apistogramma from their assorted tank as compensation. (I was happy wanted to pick up a couple anyways). Win win day they keep a regular happy and I have 2 new apistos

Did a major tank clean on my 70g planted and my daughters 20long. Then went to lfs to discuss that all 6 oto cats I bought last week went fins up. They gave me instead 2 nice apistogramma from their assorted tank as compensation. (I was happy wanted to pick up a couple anyways). Win win day they keep a regular happy and I have 2 new apistos

Apisto's are great looking fish at least they gave you something back for your losses.
Re arranged my elephant nose tank and fed him live brine tonight.
My poor betta is looking really sick :( my son has spent most of the day talking to him.

Apisto's are great looking fish at least they gave you something back for your losses.
Re arranged my elephant nose tank and fed him live brine tonight.
My poor betta is looking really sick :( my son has spent most of the day talking to him.

I'm sorry to hear about your betta. How is your son dealing with it?

In the QT, ammonia test came in at .25 ppm so I did a 50% pwc and added enough Prime for the whole 10 gal tank. The corys in there look healthy and are behaving as they should. Testing after the pwc I had no detectable ammonia.

In the display tank, my otos, which at first turned up their hairy little noses at their zucchini, now swim right up to the zucchini bar and chow down. The zucchini bar is a blanched piece stuck to a branch of driftwood. They seem to love this arrangement. So there will be no starving otos if there's not enough algae.

My pristella tetras seem to love to swim against the outflow from the filter. They are so much fun to watch when they do that. They don't do it so much that I'm concerned that its a sign of something. They truly look like they are having a blast.

Last edited:
Today's Reef Spot Maintenance

120 Gallon Reef:
  • 30 Gallon Water Change
  • Sump Return Screen Cleaned
  • Trimmed Chaeto
  • Should have cleaned the sock but had tons to do :(

Coral Farm:
  • Disabled Alkalinity and Calcium Dosers for a day in attempt to reduce pH from 8.7 to 8.1-8.2 Range
  • Topped of ATO

Chaeto Farm:
  • Emptied Tank Of All Water
  • Shop Vacced All Debris
  • Refilled Tank With 120g Reef Old Water
  • Replaced (2) 2700k Bulbs
  • Replaced Natural Daylight Bulb
  • Added Trimmings From 120g Reef Sump

RODI:
  • Flushed Membrane
  • Replaced All Filters

Busy Day, But I Survived.

Made a sponge filter! This is also day 2 of my betta sorority, everything going smooth for now. No noticeable fighting or signs of fighting. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

I'm sorry to hear about your betta. How is your son dealing with it?

Thank you, he's not good I'm afraid he thinks i can make him better :( I'm trying to explain fish get old and it's just his time. The problem is when my son was going through a bad patch we moved my betta next to his bed so he's always been there to him.

Weekly 2 gallon water change on 30g freshwater tank.
Weekly 20g water change on 220g saltwater tank.

Made a sponge filter! This is also day 2 of my betta sorority, everything going smooth for now. No noticeable fighting or signs of fighting. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

Sororities normally go pretty smoothly. I've never had one with issues and I've had tons! Switching girls in and out without the rearranging and even having hardly any decor in some. I think some people are just overly paranoid with them their first go around and make it out into a much bigger ordeal than it really is. I've always really enjoyed mine, right now all my girls, 8-10 total I think, are in a 29 gallon that's cycled but not finished in terms of substrate and planting, in fact it's bare bottom right now with some rocks and floating plastic plants for the lazy ones and there's no fighting lol

Anyways, I finally redid my 28 today! Last Monday I pretty much tore the entire tank up trying to capture the endlers I was shipping out and finally felt like replanting it all. Took about 2 hours, but I'm pretty content with it. (Still missing something, but I'm not sure what other than needing the glosso to fill in the bare spot and putting a new black background on it.)
I also switched some of my breeding male Bettas around. I try to keep it fresh for them since tank size varies so much I like to give them all the chance to go into bigger tanks occasionally. The options are a 28, a 10, 6 2.5's, and some 1-2 gallon critter keepers. I tend to switch on water change day but occasionally I'll let one stay longer than the others. My guppy tank is pretty much the only one with a permanent resident which is my 1/2 blind Betta captain jack!

Then I did w/c's on everything. Spent about 4 hours total on everything tonight! Felt nice to actually accomplish more than I originally set out to!

Tomorrow I'm going to do a big trim and rescape of all the small tanks and move my one female guppy that refuses to drop no matter how big and boxed she is into her original tank and pray that when she finally decides to drop I'll be able to save the fry

Attachments

• image-794936540.jpg
    image-794936540.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image-2165353282.jpg
    image-2165353282.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1471096760.jpg
    image-1471096760.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 54
Sororities normally go pretty smoothly. I've never had one with issues and I've had tons! Switching girls in and out without the rearranging and even having hardly any decor in some. I think some people are just overly paranoid with them their first go around and make it out into a much bigger ordeal than it really is. I've always really enjoyed mine, right now all my girls, 8-10 total I think, are in a 29 gallon that's cycled but not finished in terms of substrate and planting, in fact it's bare bottom right now with some rocks and floating plastic plants for the lazy ones and there's no fighting lol

Anyways, I finally redid my 28 today! Last Monday I pretty much tore the entire tank up trying to capture the endlers I was shipping out and finally felt like replanting it all. Took about 2 hours, but I'm pretty content with it. (Still missing something, but I'm not sure what other than needing the glosso to fill in the bare spot and putting a new black background on it.)
I also switched some of my breeding male Bettas around. I try to keep it fresh for them since tank size varies so much I like to give them all the chance to go into bigger tanks occasionally. The options are a 28, a 10, 6 2.5's, and some 1-2 gallon critter keepers. I tend to switch on water change day but occasionally I'll let one stay longer than the others. My guppy tank is pretty much the only one with a permanent resident which is my 1/2 blind Betta captain jack!

Then I did w/c's on everything. Spent about 4 hours total on everything tonight! Felt nice to actually accomplish more than I originally set out to!

Tomorrow I'm going to do a big trim and rescape of all the small tanks and move my one female guppy that refuses to drop no matter how big and boxed she is into her original tank and pray that when she finally decides to drop I'll be able to save the fry

I 100% agree on female betta communities- I have only had 2 troublesome girls in my experiences with betta communities in general, and they usually do well with similar sized peaceful schoolers, even with some semi aggressive communities so long as there is ample driftwood and plants, especially floating and broadleaf plants

I 100% agree on female betta communities- I have only had 2 troublesome girls in my experiences with betta communities in general, and they usually do well with similar sized peaceful schoolers, even with some semi aggressive communities so long as there is ample driftwood and plants, especially floating and broadleaf plants

My experience with betta sororities has been 50/50 good and bad. I had one a couple years back in a 20 with about 6 girls and it went fine for a month or two then within one week they massacred each other. It was a shame, thiset were some of the prettiest females I've ever seen. But now I have about 8 girls in a 56 and they are doing great. I had two kill each other the first day but no serious violence since.

Had a water clouding problem in my Betta tank and had done a 100% water change the last two weeks (which have been very busy).

Last night I came home and it was cloudy again. Realized I had a rotting Banana plant. I think that was the problem, pulled off all the mushy and starting to get mushy "bananas" lol

Usually the tank is perfectly sparkling with routine pwc. Although the snails are pretty poopy, lately worse as they are multiplying.

72G is holding its own. But I am checking about different medications with the BB and inverts.

Oh and by the way, the little Fiddler Crab absolutely LOVES the (fake) made for turtles, Lily Pad. He is up there very often now, happily waving his claw. Pretty soon a couple girls to keep him with a purpose in life!:brows: Really recommend it if anyone has any FC and no "land".

60074-albums11380-picture59484.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture59485.jpg

Had a water clouding problem in my Betta tank and had done a 100% water change the last two weeks (which have been very busy).

Last night I came home and it was cloudy again. Realized I had a rotting Banana plant. I think that was the problem, pulled off all the mushy and starting to get mushy "bananas" lol

Usually the tank is perfectly sparkling with routine pwc. Although the snails are pretty poopy, lately worse as they are multiplying.

72G is holding its own. But I am checking about different medications with the BB and inverts.

Oh and by the way, the little Fiddler Crab absolutely LOVES the (fake) made for turtles, Lily Pad. He is up there very often now, happily waving his claw. Pretty soon a couple girls to keep him with a purpose in life!:brows: Really recommend it if anyone has any FC and no "land".

Love the crab!

Back
Top Bottom