What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fed the Bettas blood worms, Baby Bettas got brine shrimp, puffer had snails, all others got flake. Still got my 6.6g bookshelf, 29g, and 10g just sitting around. Not sure if I want to increase electric bills lol.

I emptied my 20, put the substrate back in and put in some new dw. Not sure if I want to tie some moss/anubias to it. I'll post pics once it clears up a bit.

I also threw away a huge clump of plants that were rotting in a bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thats something i need to do. My ongoing fights with Algae mean i won't try to sell many clippings but i hate to throw them away :facepalm:

I found a decent solution though. I set up a humidi chamber that i plant some trimmings in. It's a simple cracked tank with planter trays filled with potting mix and a sheet of clear plastic as a lid to trap humidity. I upgraded this from 1.25L bottles on a windowsill and it seems to be growing plants pretty well.

I hope you enjoy the rescape on the 20.

I just finished feeding all my tanks. Since i rescaped my Betta tank i enjoy feeding her the most. She used to just surface to attack the food i fed her, but when i feed bloodworms now she attacks them from some hides she has in the tank. It's fun to watch. Shes a bit of a pro at spotting the bloodworm that falls to the floor as well. when i move away from the tank she threads her way through the plants with one eye directly on the tank floor. She really altered the way she behaves when she was put into a tank with better hidey holes.

Moved furniture around and changed the stand for the 5G Chi Nano SW and the 12G Edge tank.

Did a 2.5G pwc on the 12G since I had to lift it up to move it, 2 birds with one stone thing.

Pwc on the 5G Chi SW too.

Added my 2.5G Planted vase to the new table with the 12G Edge. Moved the Chi to its own little stand. It looks good for a interim solution. My family member needed the 6' dresser chest :/ I will be moving some of the stuff over to the opposite wall, the "Fish Wall"... when I get more time. Still wondering in the back of my mind about a 72G twin bowfront SW to go with the FW. I think I must be crazy to even think that.

Yesterday I found one of my Koi Angels dead on the bottom of the tank. Parameters are good, no bites or injuries apparent, clear eyes, perfect fins, nice gills, so I think that possibly got startled and knocked out. Don't know if something else is going on so in the morning a big pwc just to make sure we are on good footing and will be watching for anything else.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your angel, Autumn.

Thanks for all the advice. I think that a break and change were necessary, I would have been really bummed if I had to give up this awesome hobby.

We haven't had any unexplained deaths in the tank since we redid it. We have two guppy fry living in a net in there now they're growing nicely, I think one is getting color.

My betta died about a week ago, I think it was fish TB. I'm definitely going to sterilize a lot because I don't want that to spread. He was hanging on for a long time but he finally lost his fight. He was so strong, every day when I went to feed him he would flare up at me even though he must have been in so much pain because he was lying at the bottom of the tank.

Now I have an empty 2.5 gallon bowfront, what do you think I should put in it? I've got a pretty extensive LFS and there are others too so I can get anything. I saw some pretty high grade RCS when I went yesterday.

Dad redid the lights on the corner tank, it's very bright now. It's so much better you could barely see the bottom before I didn't even know what color the fry developed lol.

Went to the LFS on the way back from sis's doctor appt (yay for bronchitis) and saw a Shellie. The guy didn't even know they still had shellies!! I'm hoping that I might be able to finagle something and get some when they next get stocked.

50% change on the 55. Goldies are hibernating cleaned the filter and removed a ton of crap. Literally. Lots of decaying plant matter too

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Found that the QT has 2 missing fish now, and one with a spot in front of its dorsal fin which I fear is Columnaris.

I have added some calcium, natural (mineral) salt and baking soda and potassium to the tank in part to raise the KH, and to increase the tanks mineral balance, electrolytes available for the fish. I was reading an interesting bunch or articles discussing treatment for Columnaris. And maintaining a stable level of KH. I have a horrible problem with my KH. They also discuss how salt can help overcome the disease, also of course gram negative meds.

The tank was very clean as I had just rinsed the substrate with treated water before the new fish came, and I never had any illness in that tank. So very bummed. Will be trying to get a handle on it. They are some Black and regular Neons, and one really awesome Cory. The Cory is the one I will be watching as I know they don't tolerate high levels of salt. Though I have had fairly high levels in a previous treatment (salt and temp treatment for ich) and the Cories were fine as it was a gradual increase.

Very bummed out about it though. I have 3 little filters on that tank to stay cycled for new tanks, Bettas or what have you. Now they are all messed up. One was brand new and one was going to go into a new tank project I was working on. :facepalm: Wish I woulda moved that one filter before I added new fish...

At least they got a QT tank instead of killing off all my daughter's beautiful fish in her tank. (y) Trying to focus on the positive. Off to search for some meds.

Slowly thinning out th this big bundle of hydrilla and water weed and planting the surviving/strongest ones.

Attachments

• 1416010198780.jpg
    1416010198780.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 71
Yesterday i bought a new male Betta to get my breeding project back in the works after sonic died. He's a nice little crown tail that is a great match for my female. Similar in almost every way except he has some dragonscale among the red of his tail. Hopefully i get some blue betta babies with red tinges through their tails and dragonscaling. I gave them a look at each other and she's keen to meet him. He was still a bit spooked but seems friendly again today. I put her in my kuhli 20g for now while i QT him in her tank. I have a tank switch coming soon which will mean a 20g community will become a betta breeding tank soon.

This morning i was back down there (LFS) to cash in on some more snails. I took them another 20. Bought 2 big bags of black gravel and left a bit more store credit for later. I also bought a couple of storage cannisters that will sit in the top of a sump i am almost ready to start using. I have put off the setup of this tank for a couple of reasons. I have almost every ingredient needed to start the build now though. I bought driftwood specifically for this tank three months ago which has mocked me with it's prettiness where it sits in my room. The stand i built for the tank needs one leg turned so the sump can fit properly. It basicall needs 2cm more to fit so i'll just turn the leg 90degrees which will give me 3.5cm extra. I have to glue some tubes into the 2x9L cannisters then add media and put it under the tank. Then i clean the gravel and start to scape. This one has me excited. I'm not sure what description this tank fits. It is 16"x14"x36". The 36x16" floor space is more than i've had to work with before so it will be nice to be able to define fore, mid and background a little better.

Hand feeding puffer fish black mosquito larvae. (Diddy P.)

Although it wasn't today it does happen most days.

See here for pictures,
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f44/new-fish-house-284360.html
Last page at this time.

Alternatively follow the link to my flickr fishes album.

I think it's the coolest thing.
Diddy P is a Tetraodon Biocellatus (Figure 8 puffer)
He is now 13 months in my care.

Yesterday i bought a new male Betta to get my breeding project back in the works after sonic died. He's a nice little crown tail that is a great match for my female. Similar in almost every way except he has some dragonscale among the red of his tail. Hopefully i get some blue betta babies with red tinges through their tails and dragonscaling. I gave them a look at each other and she's keen to meet him. He was still a bit spooked but seems friendly again today. I put her in my kuhli 20g for now while i QT him in her tank. I have a tank switch coming soon which will mean a 20g community will become a betta breeding tank soon.

This morning i was back down there (LFS) to cash in on some more snails. I took them another 20. Bought 2 big bags of black gravel and left a bit more store credit for later. I also bought a couple of storage cannisters that will sit in the top of a sump i am almost ready to start using. I have put off the setup of this tank for a couple of reasons. I have almost every ingredient needed to start the build now though. I bought driftwood specifically for this tank three months ago which has mocked me with it's prettiness where it sits in my room. The stand i built for the tank needs one leg turned so the sump can fit properly. It basicall needs 2cm more to fit so i'll just turn the leg 90degrees which will give me 3.5cm extra. I have to glue some tubes into the 2x9L cannisters then add media and put it under the tank. Then i clean the gravel and start to scape. This one has me excited. I'm not sure what description this tank fits. It is 16"x14"x36". The 36x16" floor space is more than i've had to work with before so it will be nice to be able to define fore, mid and background a little better.

Mostly :),
Was sonic one of your inherited fish, I remember Brutus, it's always a shame when fish die, I mean fish you've looked after! I vaguely remember you taking on some fish from a friend?

Great to hear the developments down under, last time we spoke this was pretty much a dream lying around in pieces. (y)

I'm glad it's all working out, apart from the loss, tip top old chum.

The round spot on the back of the Tetras dorsal fin is gone. All I did was add the Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium and salt. Hmmmm. I am sure it was a bad spot. The fish seem more lively and I didn't do a pwc either (because I just added all the stuff).

Mostly :),
Was sonic one of your inherited fish, I remember Brutus, it's always a shame when fish die, I mean fish you've looked after! I vaguely remember you taking on some fish from a friend?

Yeah Sonic was originally borrowed for a breeding project after initially looking after him. Then his owner moved away and left me with Sonic and 2 fantails. No tanks, just fish. Lucky i keep spares :lol:. Brutus is doing well, his pond is still a work in progress after some debates over what portion of a water bill i should pay. I don't want that heat right now with my real estate. I will eventually switch over to a very 4x2x2 tank indoors and the pond so the real estate can't complain. Soon i'll assemble it. I have the materials to build it and every plan made

Great to hear the developments down under, last time we spoke this was pretty much a dream lying around in pieces. (y)

I'm glad it's all working out, apart from the loss, tip top old chum.

I think Sonic was pretty old for the few months i had him so it wasn't unexpected.

I'm a procrastinator of epic proportions with my aquarium builds. Maybe it's the fact i always have 20 projects progressing all demanding of limited funds. This particular project is close to completion though.

Today i got wet hands in my first planted tank (community 20g)
I went through with part two of a big teardown and refreshing of my plants. My plants are all healthy but everything gets overgrown pretty quick. The stems i have growing get long enough to span the tank in about 1 week. I tore them all out today to take fresh algae free tips for replanting. I pulled about 70 tips of sunset hygro and ludwigia repens apart from the 12 or so of each i replanted 2 months ago. Continual trimming of tips seems to keep these hydras happy. Part 1 of the big trim in this tank was on dwarf chain sword which grows 2-3 runners from every mature established plant per week in my tanks. It was everywhere so i pulled that out and replanted 5 young plants in their original zone. I hadn't noticed crypt runners in the stem jungle but i have about 8-9 runners in various areas of the tank. So much for low maintenance. The crypts are growing like weeds now too. I took two runners out and replanted them with my Comets. They probably have a short time left in that tank but so far so good, 5 hours and no tear outs.

Secretly smiling because my memory is not so bad after all!

Limited funds is always a problem! Even if you chuck everything at it, it always needs more!
You have enough tanks that this may be of use to you;
In my house the biggest saving I made in the last 12 months was de chlorinator. Ok I had the background equipment in place so it wasn't too costly to transition but I'm saving the food bill and replacement water filter costs every year! Find a cheaper way to dechlorinate and that will free up significant funds for you.
(If you have ammonia free water, a 25litre container and an air stone should be sufficient but heavy metals may still pose a problem, some type of HMA resin through a filter should work but I'm unsure of the cycle times, it would vary by volume, perhaps a small tank (or one with an appropriate volume) using a canister with resin in a bag, that will be cheaper per year)
If you don't fancy that set up or an RO, maybe you have soft water or your tap water is fine, you can get a pond style pre filter set that fits to a tap but you need to be using volumes of water to make it worthwhile, anything over 500 litres a week I'd say do it. It looks similar to an RO device, prefilter, CCB, resin bed, just with hosetails and no RO membrane.
(You could hide that from the landlord and plug it on as needed:whistle:)

Even if you need to pay out now, in six months you'll be saving.

Good growth is a good sign! It's good you make something from your effort too! That helps out a bit.
I'm still waiting for my next money project! I'm trying to settle my new Cory in, if they breed as often as my paleatus I will be very happy for a few years.
They eat, they seem happy but still a bit flighty, hopefully they will settle a bit soon, the puffer on the other hand is clearly settled!

Clipped some zucchini to the back wall. My pleco has been rasping at it ever since. The gourami and the rainbow shark have been getting in on it too. I think I'll clip a piece of broccoli on the side so there's less competition+ crowding.

Last night checked water parameters in all the tanks.

My dosing of magnesium, calcium and potassium seem to be working...my KH is looking better and the pH is a little low in the 72G (tank I have had so many problems with) but climbing with treatment and staying stable right now. Whew! Pain in the rumpus.

Looking at a beautiful 12G rimless tank with Starphire glass for sale with stand for $80 NEW! I can't seem to find out who the manufacturer is, it came from the MACNA SW conference a couple months ago. Best pricing I can find would still make that a decent price, like getting the stand for free. I think the guy used the lights that were on it because it only comes tank and stand for that price, nothing else...:rolleyes: sooooo...

Pwc on the 6.6G and fill evap last night for SW 15G. Doing a couple more pwc today, on the 72G and 15G sw. Considering a FX-5 whole filter clean out on the 72G tomorrow. (I hate doing that, always worrying I will forget something when I put it back together and have to clean up a flood!)

Interesting about the auto water change drip thing, I am in the planning stages for one myself!!!

Chilla thrilla! Its cold!

I keep telling Trenna to invent and patent one of these and put those water changing discussions to bed.
Got some plants today (Blyxa and UG).
lb5GbgA.png

They were supposed to show up Friday but went AWOL for about 4 days somewhere between AZ and VA. Thank you, USPS. It's been in the 30s (F) today so I'm going to let these gradually warm up and sit in my room temp holding tank. Plants look pretty good considering the weather. The UG has a little algae and/or dark green mush and smells like bagoóng. For the non-Pinoy that's shrimp paste.
Here's my tank. I think I'll make some room in the back left corner for the Blyxa and the open space on the front right is for the UG.
hHAnO2r.png

Back
Top Bottom