What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Received my new longfin bristlenose today, I managed to injury him when catching him in the bag :( he's got a piece of his right fin missing I hope its grows back, I'm feeling awful ?
Temps are really high in both my tank's weather is hot at the moment, I've got a fan going not much good!
Autumn I haven't tried adding it to my tank wasn't sure on the amount? Meant to ask you but life is seriously hectic.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

aww shelly! I hope he gets better soon! I'm sure once he settles down he'll be very happy to live in your tank. :) :)

Put the boys in the breeder box. I've put mine in time out for being too pushy. But I've only got two of them

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Put the boys in the breeder box. I've put mine in time out for being too pushy. But I've only got two of them

Ha that's cute! My hubbie is starting to think I'm crazy with the time I spend on the fish, but.. I really like them! I have two small male endlers and one male guppie. All of them peruse the 2 females. I'll just see how they go in this bigger tank, I think the move stressed them. But it's a great idea - thanks Ruutah.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tank got cloudy...
hli9vwUh.jpg

It's okay. I was pulling the Staurogyne repens out of the tank.
JD88LWDh.jpg

Tank is still clearing up:
mSJOnWCh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

shellyx - you can mix an equivalent amount of one tsp per gallon- I will let you do the metric conversion. More is fine. Dissolve into an amount of water lets say 2 liters ( I know how much that is) I use hot water to dissolve it say one liter amount after it is dissolved then add the other liter as cold water to try and get it to room temp/ tank temp, add Prime when normal temp. Then use the concentrated 2 liters of liquid to the tank at about 1/3 or 1/4 amount per dose - say over a day. then just maintain that amount as you take out and do pwc.

When doing pwc I add the appropriate amount to dissolve into the bottom of the bucket and dissolve in hot water, using just a liter or 2 amount in my 5G bucket but use the tap water to get to normal tank temp and add Prime, then add water mix to tank.

When you top off for evap, you don't add more epsom salts because it doesn't evaporate, it can be utilized by the plants but I wouldn't worry about getting that detailed at this point. You do lots of pwc and you shouldn't need to adjust much because of that.

If after the next week to 10 days you get more dead, you can up the amount some. But that amount should be enough for the deficiency ( disclaimer: not a scientist or scientific mind ;) )

I think it can be reduced after awhile maybe 2-3 weeks if it is seeming to help. That is a usual treatment time, but then the addition for just having enough to use for good health maintenance would be less. I have used much more than that for the treatment of my fish like Bettas to help them get better from illness. Magnesium is really needed and useful to the body.

~~~~~

Fresh WOW!!! That is some mighty healthy Stauro weeds you have there!!! So jealous! I'm lucky to have a 2 inch high one!

~~~~

Hey all - the dollar per gallon sale ends in a couple weeks, sometime around the first week of August.

Oops, forgot MY best part...

Finally got a dozen Chili Rasboras, and I understand the other fish I ordered arrived this morning at the lfs but were still in the shipping boxes and I had to get to work!

So pretty happy right now - they all seem active. Getting them into the tank in a minute, just finished acclimation! Yipee!!!

Oops, forgot MY best part...

Finally got a dozen Chili Rasboras, and I understand the other fish I ordered arrived this morning at the lfs but were still in the shipping boxes and I had to get to work!

So pretty happy right now - they all seem active. Getting them into the tank in a minute, just finished acclimation! Yipee!!!

Oh so cool! You'll have to try and get picks ( I say try as mine are to quick for me and leave a blur ) congrats I know you've been waiting for a while.
I'll give that a go today, hopefully it will help. I've hardly any left sadly :(
Even my blues have disappeared only a couple left and some babies.

Haven't done anything yet because I'm at work 'til 3:30, but when I get home plan on doing biweekly maintenance on the two FX6 for my 150g and a water change

Pwc on my boraras tank, still haven't got pic's off my longfin red bristlenose he or she is being pretty shy! Definitely going to be a beautiful fish when fully grown it's only about 3 cm at the moment. Made up Epsom salt mixed into a bucket, going to add that in slowly over the next few days. Autumn will my fish be ok? I think they will but double checking!
Boraras all doing great, growing fast and enjoying live food!
Gonzos doing well, decided to add cattapa leafs to his tank really like the look.
Well I think that's all.

Pwc on my boraras tank, still haven't got pic's off my longfin red bristlenose he or she is being pretty shy! Definitely going to be a beautiful fish when fully grown it's only about 3 cm at the moment.

Gonzos doing well, decided to add cattapa leafs to his tank really like the look.

Love to see the pics from the new leaves, too! I'm so excited for you!!

shellyx - Have used Epsom for at least 4 years, and it has healed many fish and I have used a heaping tablespoon per gallon for treatment (for 7-14 days usual, occ. 21 days) and never had any issues. On a couple fish Betta, had swim bladder and other issues over and over, I just left them in with this in the water, higher than normal amount I added to the tanks regularly but less than a treatment amount. My fish have had Epsom added in their tanks for at least 3 years now, and that was specific for adding mineral content for kH. Plants like it too.

~~~~
Okay. The Boraras seem to be a little shy but doing well still. Did a big near 50% pwc on their tank the day after we got them in there. Feeding baby fish 2-3x per day shoots the water quality. Also cleaned the prefilter as flow from the little filter was diminished.

Checked all the fish - all but maybe one juvenile Sword. 2 times for sure I saw 3 and used to have 4, it is possible there are still 4 as the tank looks like a jungle with lots of easy hiding places.

All 3 baby Koi Angels are looking fine. Growing like weeds. Really enjoying the color pop they have in the tank, and I realize how much I missed their predecessors. So hoping there are 2-3 males so I can keep them! Looking for a nice blue and maybe one of those Pandas next.

Also have been stalking aquabid and looking at Betta. Wow - so impressed with the amazing color and fin variety of fish available. I saw one that looked like Tancho Koi
White with a red spot on the head going for ~$700 and another for 80!!!

I also thought a nice sorority tank of Betta that looked like Koi would be fun, a mini pond. Most of the ones for sale were males though.

More time for dreaming of fish than keeping more tanks of them right now. :/

Also thinking of how I might reduce the tanks down by one more. Decided that the Microdevario Kubotai would be striking against the black background of the 72G and wondering about if the combination of fish would work out alright.

Also keep wishing I had 30 -50 Cardinal Tetras in that tank. Can't really find them tank raised at a reasonable price for that quantity. I might talk with a member of the fish club if they have access to wholesale and I can buy into a purchase. I think those usually go in boxes of 300-500. Wishing I could get them for 1.50 -2. each and go with an even larger number.

I talked with the local trans-shipper and I bet I could get them shipped in but then they wouldn't be tank raised probably. During the visit of the Thai (Betta) breeders coming to visit, I will check with them all for possible answer to the question.

Lots of fish dreaming going on, lol!

Today I went to see the fish room at Select Aquatics not very far from me. I was cheerfully welcomed by Greg Sage the keeper and person behind the business.

Their pics are better than mine...

I fell in love with these and took home 2
Other Green Dragon plecostomus

and these and 2 more
Plecostomus Green Dragon

Then 3 of these
Puntius padamya - Odessa Barbs

After consideration of the Dragons my initial concern was they might interbreed with my 3 present ancistrus, but given that any possible surviving baby fish would become fish food with the larger fish in the tank and that their would be little possibility for that.

I am trying 3 Barbs for the moment and if they seem to get along okay with the Angels and don't nip the fins I will get 6 more.

The Albino Dragons are so frilly and beautiful and will stand out noticeably in my dark tank. One of the Green Dragons are very green and one has a very large whitish edging on his tail and dorsal fin which is why I chose it. So I am pretty excited that they all should be beautiful in the tank and give the other 3 more company!

The Odessa Barbs are bred to bring out the red color although other Odessa Barbs tend to have more green and lighter red stripes. One of the far away lfs have some nice looking Greener ones so I will likely pick up a few of those males and more of the red females.

Did acclimation and put them into the QT 46G tank with just 8 inches of water tonight and with some plants and see how they are doing in the morning. The Dragons seemed perfectly happy in transit though the Barbs got pale as they do. I was told to give them 12-24 hours to color back up.

Happy work and fish day!!!

The tour of the fish room was quite interesting. Many types of fish he raises are quite uncommon for the most part in lfs, non existent in big box stores, and some of them were amazing, and a couple - 2 maybe 3 were no longer found in their natural habitat and are only kept any longer in private breeders hands.

One of the Green Dragons is sitting with the tip of his nose just above the waterline. Of course this concerns me as I wonder if he hates the water. It is a little different than what he is used to pH wise mainly as his was 6.8 and mine is 6.5. I don't think that should be as much a difference. 0 Amm and NitrIte and 0-10 NitrAtes as it just came out of the tap in addition to their water from their own tanks. Maybe he just likes to wiggle upward...I think I will add another 5G of water for them. They are used to very large tanks FULL of water. I have to move the stand and tank tomorrow why I don't want to fill it all the way tonight.

I fed about 20 tiny particles of Hikari Microwafers in two rounds 10+10 for the Barbs and they ate it right up and their red stripes are now pink. About 40 minutes after they went into the tank.

Very happy with the new guys.

Back to my 12 nano tank baby fish and Tangerine Tiger Shrimp. The Boraras Brigitae aka Chilis look fine, a little light colored as they are still juveniles. But I feel like they are doing well.

The part I am not too pleased about are the light colored TT shrimp. The last batch of babies are faintly orange not fruit orange colored. After I lost so many of the dark orange ones before, the numbers are creeping back but not the right color.

Now I am faced with culling the pale ones, something I am not too interested in have happen because I like them all and they are still nice but as previously happened in a colony, without culling the poor colors will end up causing a bigger mess. :(

Maybe I can put the culls into a planted vase and let them grow up in there. Kinda just thinking it out on the screen here...I have seen around 10 light ones including the 1-2 adults down to tiny ones. Previously I hadn't but 1 lighter one! Going in the wrong direction colorwise.

Today I went to see the fish room at Select Aquatics not very far from me. I was cheerfully welcomed by Greg Sage the keeper and person behind the business.

and these and 2 more
Plecostomus Green Dragon

Then 3 of these
Puntius padamya - Odessa Barbs

After consideration of the Dragons my initial concern was they might interbreed with my 3 present ancistrus, but given that any possible surviving baby fish would become fish food with the larger fish in the tank and that their would be little possibility for that.

I am trying 3 Barbs for the moment and if they seem to get along okay with the Angels and don't nip the fins I will get 6 more.

The Albino Dragons are so frilly and beautiful and will stand out noticeably in my dark tank. One of the Green Dragons are very green and one has a very large whitish edging on his tail and dorsal fin which is why I chose it. So I am pretty excited that they all should be beautiful in the tank and give the other 3 more company!

The Odessa Barbs are bred to bring out the red color although other Odessa Barbs tend to have more green and lighter red stripes. One of the far away lfs have some nice looking Greener ones so I will likely pick up a few of those males and more of the red females.

Did acclimation and put them into the QT 46G tank with just 8 inches of water tonight and with some plants and see how they are doing in the morning. The Dragons seemed perfectly happy in transit though the Barbs got pale as they do. I was told to give them 12-24 hours to color back up.

Happy work and fish day!!!

The tour of the fish room was quite interesting. Many types of fish he raises are quite uncommon for the most part in lfs, non existent in big box stores, and some of them were amazing, and a couple - 2 maybe 3 were no longer found in their natural habitat and are only kept any longer in private breeders hands.

One of the Green Dragons is sitting with the tip of his nose just above the waterline. Of course this concerns me as I wonder if he hates the water. It is a little different than what he is used to pH wise mainly as his was 6.8 and mine is 6.5. I don't think that should be as much a difference. 0 Amm and NitrIte and 0-10 NitrAtes as it just came out of the tap in addition to their water from their own tanks. Maybe he just likes to wiggle upward...I think I will add another 5G of water for them. They are used to very large tanks FULL of water. I have to move the stand and tank tomorrow why I don't want to fill it all the way tonight.

I fed about 20 tiny particles of Hikari Microwafers in two rounds 10+10 for the Barbs and they ate it right up and their red stripes are now pink. About 40 minutes after they went into the tank.

Very happy with the new guys.

Back to my 12 nano tank baby fish and Tangerine Tiger Shrimp. The Boraras Brigitae aka Chilis look fine, a little light colored as they are still juveniles. But I feel like they are doing well.

The part I am not too pleased about are the light colored TT shrimp. The last batch of babies are faintly orange not fruit orange colored. After I lost so many of the dark orange ones before, the numbers are creeping back but not the right color.

Now I am faced with culling the pale ones, something I am not too interested in have happen because I like them all and they are still nice but as previously happened in a colony, without culling the poor colors will end up causing a bigger mess. :(

Maybe I can put the culls into a planted vase and let them grow up in there. Kinda just thinking it out on the screen here...I have seen around 10 light ones including the 1-2 adults down to tiny ones. Previously I hadn't but 1 lighter one! Going in the wrong direction colorwise.

Congrats on the new fish! Love the plecos :) really like the longfin variety they look stunning when fully grown. Good luck with them.

Soo, 50 % clean on Gonzos tank, replaced cirax. Added cattapa log really want the tannin look for his tank as well.
Still trying to get a pic of my new bnp, but he says no! Concerned he hasn't ate his tummy is looking empty, been leaving fresh veg in for him over night but he's not bothered about it yet.
Bought a new large piece of driftwood with anubais attached for this tank, time to rearrange it!
Been slowly adding Epsom so we'll see how that goes.
Think that's it.

Today im still working on my 2.5gl nano tank what ya think
480b9daf423022760dd5aa48befaedcb.jpg

Mountain scape

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Looking good sir, I want to see what it looks like when it starts growing.

~20% water change on all 3 tanks. Starting the water change routine to get ready to move.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thx i hate moving.

Last edited by a moderator:

and these and 2 more
Plecostomus Green Dragon

Autumn, they're beautiful! I didn't know plecos came in a longfinned dragon variety. I would definitely have picked one up.

King, your mountainscape looks awesome!

I adhered my new backings to my fishtanks this weekend. :) Everyone looks well ensconced in their little habitats now. :) It's almost like looking into a small theater. :D I have found I have to swap out the light over the angels' 55g. The water looks funny, and I'm not diggin' that. Probably will do a pwc in the next couple of days.

Today im still working on my 2.5gl nano tank what ya think
480b9daf423022760dd5aa48befaedcb.jpg

Mountain scape

Looking sharp!

Thanks Carriwin! They are gorgeous. They are in tha larger tank and I will get a couple pics later, they took off to much behind everything.

The Odessa Barbs are fully vibrant!

60074-albums11380-picture70445.jpg

They have a bit of blue on their eyes
60074-albums11380-picture70448.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture70444.jpg

Did pwc on the SW nano almost 2G on the 6.6G. Had to grab out a rock to move it out of the way in order to get the cup into the tank to dip it, and after the pwc picked up the rock to put it back and my little pom pom crab was sprawled out on a puddle of SW under the rock on the glass aquarium top - obviously was hanging out there on that rock!!!!!! Scared me but it got put back and it crawled into the Chaeto seemingly okay.

Cleaned the sponge prefilter on the SW tank as well. Dosed a little extra minerals as the Chaeto was getting pale.

Finally completed a much needed pwc on the 72G before the tank gets moved soon. Appx. 30G. Found though the gravel vac'ing is even more needed. So that is probably next in a couple days. Then the filter clean out a few days after that.

Did a water parameter check and found
Ammonia between 0-.25
20 Nitrate,
0 Nitrite and
~175 GH and Appx.
100 kH after adding 3 tsp Calcium Reef powder and
pH is around 7.4.

Checked the tap water - Kinda surprised.
Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite 0
GH 65
KH 25
pH 7

More pwc coming up.

Back
Top Bottom