What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went out of my way to go to a larger LFS location about a 20-30 minute drive away from my dorm location. Spent a few hours oohing and aahing at all of the stock as I went around and got the new thermometer I needed. Saw a Koi Betta that was really nice, and young (also expensive) if his inch long body + smallish fins were any indicator. It, and several other Koi Betta, were gone by the time I went to give them once last glance. So long friend I never got to know. Saw a couple of Endler's guppies I might try in Buck's current tank when I do move him over to a larger aquarium too. Got more research to do!! :dance:

I eventually did find the thermometer I needed, but I also found a small filter that could be used in a small 1-3 gallon tank (Tetra In-Tank Filter 3i Whisper). I was kind of skeptical so I did a quick search online and found some positive reviews, not just on Amazon but also on a couple forums. Some of the forum people even advised using it with a Betta because of a low current output.

I bought it and tried it out at home...can't use it in the tank Buck's currently calling home though. :( It worked as advertized, I could small gunk get sucked up into the filter while it was plugged in and everything. The current didn't seem too bad, though I think I would have eventually unplugged it to save for Buck's bigger home when I get it because it was a little stronger than I would have liked. The major things that caused me to save it for later were that it was almost too tall to fit into the tank Buck is in, and Buck is a freaking contortionist.

By that I mean I recognized the potential danger of Buck messing around with it so I buried the suction portion of it under the gravel of the tank to keep it away from his fins. I also blocked off every bit of space that lead behind the tube/body of the filter with either a thermometer or a decoration... Buck somehow still managed to not only get behind it within 5 minutes of plugging it in but also managed to get himself stuck in such a way he couldn't free himself. I immediately unplugged it and put the filter away in storage, since I was watching to make sure Buck didn't do something potentially dangerous to himself like this. I have seen him just spend hours weaving himself around the safe plants in his tank so I figured he would try something like that...and now he has succeeded in doing the exact same thing to the new thermometer (which was flat up against the glass) I got him.:facepalm: Thankfully he just ended up pushing it over so that it is on a slant away from the glass now (with him inbetween it and the glass) rather than just straight against the glass but still I feel like maybe I should have named this one Indy for his Indiana Jones like capacity for exploring his tank and causing trouble.

PWC and vacuum on the Biorb today. Tested my main tank. I hate KH/GH test kits. I neeeeddd a color chart plz...
Helped a bazillion mystery snails hatch. Cleaned up my misc tank crap spread all over the garage, office and guest room. Now I need chocolate cupcakes and whiskey.

View attachment 293310

Planted+ 24/7 arrived in the mail today! ☺[emoji1316]

VERY nice!!!

Went to Dick's Sporting Good to finally fill my paintball canisters, so I can at last set up my pressurized CO2 system, only to discover this store no longer does paintball refills... :banghead: :mad: :bad-words:

Then I went to my favorite LFS (Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica) to spend a gift card I'd gotten for Christmas. Fellow fish geeks will understand how excited I was buying $30 of Ohko stones. :brows:

(Also got some crypt parva and root tabs for the 10g in prep for making it a planted tank, as the fry I've raised to adulthood in it are going to the LFS tomorrow. My little ones are all growed up.)

Lucky you for the new stone!

I had last week off, so side from giving the house a much needed tidy I got on top of a lot of neglected tasks in my aquarium...

So glad to hear I am not the only one seeing a tank and feeling guilt riden!!! Nice to hear you made so much progress!

~~~
Our stones are 4.99 and up, but nothing good all picked over the last time I went to see. :(

Picked up Prime a big bottle and later found I was overcharged from what the tag on the shelf said, by $2. :/

Purused the DW options and found one which was a possibility, but decided I will make a trip to a couple farther away lfs in hopes of finding the exact right thing this next week.

Looked at the background for the tank and didn't like any of them. Probably going with frosted background with a little graduated color. Last time I was at a hobby store I saw some nice colored papers for scrap books.

The colors graduated to about 3 tones, say light to dark blues and then one was medium blues to green, there was also a water type pattern. I have an idea to add the frost film then attach a plastic page protector over the colored paper to keep it from getting wet. Adding it behind the frost will give a subtle color maybe. :brows:

Hooked up the filter on the 12G Edge, added another bag of ceramic media from one of the other filters that wasn't being used and switched the intake Filter holder and tube because the original tube had plant moss and algae particle on it. I just put water back in and turned on the light for the Java Fern DW. Removed 2 small MTS which had climbed to the top of the water line when there was no water circulating.

When I got home from work, the tank looked nicely clear. I had used a gallon of water from the 46G tank with the heavily tannin tinted water. Before the 46G water change to add a little extra tannin goodness, but not too much. Didn't want to add too many Nitrates or TDS to the new set up which I THINK will be for the PRL, all but decided on PRL over the CRS.

A somewhat risky move as they are kinda expensive, but maybe will pay off when they breed and I have a tank swarming with them in a year... - hope I won't screw something up and kill them! So as long as they are still available for sale on Wednesday I will buy them! Emailing the seller tonight to check.

Got a rimless 5gl for dirt cheap on Craigslist. Wana set it up as a fancy shrimp low tech tank. Never heard of this brand tank Kotubuki leglass 5. I have a spare 5w led I can use for it. I would beable to raise an lower it if it's to bright etc. Resized_20170115_163522_1.jpg

PWC and vacuum on the Biorb today. Tested my main tank. I hate KH/GH test kits. I neeeeddd a color chart plz...
Helped a bazillion mystery snails hatch. Cleaned up my misc tank crap spread all over the garage, office and guest room. Now I need chocolate cupcakes and whiskey.
Chocolate and whiskey very nice ��

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent!!!

How did you help the MS hatch???
It is was thinking of taking the filtration system in the fluval spec v an sylicon it to middle of the tank with two more pieces of acrylic. Kind of like a saltwater tank with a overflow in the middle
f1fe74b16605dda395cdef6ed38b5571.jpg

How did you help the MS hatch???

When they are ready to hatch the egg sack turns dark and starts to fall apart. I took it down into the tank and very gently roll it through my fingers and it rains snails. They're on the from glass now. IMG_1484535096.549068.jpg

It is was thinking of taking the filtration system in the fluval spec v an sylicon it to middle of the tank with two more pieces of acrylic. Kind of like a saltwater tank with a overflow in the middle
f1fe74b16605dda395cdef6ed38b5571.jpg

All that Spec has is a little pump wth a media encased sponge filter. Yes it could work, or you might be able to pick up a section with slots at a lfs (our lfs has a bone yard of misc. parts, old lights, etc.) and glue it with 2 sides.

All that Spec has is a little pump wth a media encased sponge filter. Yes it could work, or you might be able to pick up a section with slots at a lfs (our lfs has a bone yard of misc. parts, old lights, etc.) and glue it with 2 sides.
Just wondering if it would even be worth it . Jus don't like the length of spec v s an how the filtration is left side of it

Just wondering if it would even be worth it . Jus don't like the length of spec v s an how the filtration is left side of it

Seems like it would be easy to fix to do a DIY - not that I have ever done that, sounds like a great equipment or DIY thread? I also wonder about an enclosed sponge filter type cube low down about 6" wide x 4" high at the center bottom, then you would easily be able to have stones or plants in there and not see the filter. Airline tubing on the back corner with an 45 degree elbow at the bottom fitting to hide and you could have a nice tank with the look of no mechanical ugliness. Heater could be the same from the other back corner submersible.

Now I think I have a new idea for my rimless 11.4....

Seems like it would be easy to fix to do a DIY - not that I have ever done that, sounds like a great equipment or DIY thread? I also wonder about an enclosed sponge filter type cube low down about 6" wide x 4" high at the center bottom, then you would easily be able to have stones or plants in there and not see the filter. Airline tubing on the back corner with an 45 degree elbow at the bottom fitting to hide and you could have a nice tank with the look of no mechanical ugliness. Heater could be the same from the other back corner submersible.

Now I think I have a new idea for my rimless 11.4....
Haha nice idea. Autumnsky, I see u have a idea for a tank. Sweet

What ratio peroxide/water do you use? :confused:

I wasn't very scientific with my dip. I just poured about 100ml of a bottle into a 1 litre tank of water. I didn't leave the plants in there for more than 5-6 seconds and it seems to have killed most of the gha.

Took my homegrown platys to the LFS today: the "Magnificent Seven" plus four from the main tank, including, I think, the male who started this whole mess. Trying to catch him in a heavily planted tank was an adventure... Yeah, that's the word for it. :bad-words:

Here's video of the Magnificent Seven (with one hiding), just before the Evil Net Monster came for them:

:bandit:

Sad, someone bought the shrimp... (who did it?!?) Anyway he's looking into whether he has some more of that quality for me.

How rude of the anonymous shrimp buyer. I hope the seller finds enough to get your tank stocked.

I've been planning a bit of a trip to do some invert trapping. One of my mates has caught some glass shrimp (from his description) and a few years back I caught some other type of shrimp with ridiculously long claws compared to it's body. There's a long weekend coming up in Australia so I'll take a drive to both rivers and see what I can catch. I think I need 1 more sponge filter to set up two separate quarantine tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my homegrown platys to the LFS today: the "Magnificent Seven" plus four from the main tank, including, I think, the male who started this whole mess. Trying to catch him in a heavily planted tank was an adventure... Yeah, that's the word for it. :bad-words:

Here's video of the Magnificent Seven (with one hiding), just before the Evil Net Monster came for them:

:bandit:
Nice barliman

Well, I finally finished off a bottle of wafers. I don't have placos. The one I got the two bottles for died because my tank was too clean at one point. Haha. And he didn't eat the wafers. But Gary (my snail) eats them. All the new fish and cories eat it too. My sunrise guppies are actually turning down pellet food to eat the algae wafers. Gary has been laying in one spot all week but seems alive. Hope he is okay. I did a water change yesterday and dripped some water on the glass. I have NEVER given my fish a day of fasting until yesterday. I did a water change and fasted them. It is amazing how it helps their digestive system and gets all the poop out. My new sunrise guppies are big poopers. Never had such poopers as these ones.
So anyway, they got clean water, conditioner and fasting. Long post for few words. Also, fasting day shall now become SUNDAY!

1484581200012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom