What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
50% PWC on my 20 gal. Also have all the parts a good scrub in the tub. What a workout! I may go get more fish soon, well today. I have Aquarium fever! I want to plant my tank and add more fish.

playing detective trying to figure out who the culprit is eating complete zoa colony's , who ever it is got 2 in the last 2 nights ,

playing detective trying to figure out who the culprit is eating complete zoa colony's , who ever it is got 2 in the last 2 nights ,

You need a field /game camera!

Fed my pom pom Crab in the SW nano, going to do a 25% pwc in a little while.

Need to post the Platy locally or see if a local shop would want to take them and give me credit towards something else. I am gonna look at which ones colorations are may favs and keep 6 out of ~20.

Today I played musical fish.

I want to play with dirt in a tank, which means getting the betta out of the 10, at least temporarily. So I moved the flame tetras and the peacock gudgeons* out of the 29 into the 75, and moved the betta from the 10 to the 29. The corys got to just chill.

* Well, 4 out of 5. I haven't been able to catch #5; she's quick, and doesn't fall for my trap! I'll try again tomorrow.

Then I gave the 29 a major haircut. I pulled out about half of the bacopa to give the rotala some more breathing room. I cut the wisteria waaaay back. I pulled out handfuls of java moss and cladophora. And, just for good measure, I trimmed a little off the top of the pellia. Gave the filter on that tank a good cleaning; among other things, I removed a sponge that clogs up super fast and added more little bio-ball thingies... cleaned out the inside of the spray bar as long as everything was stopped. I have water movement again :D

A few days before:

P2260046.jpg

Just now:

20170305_190030.jpg

Today I played musical fish.

I want to play with dirt in a tank, which means getting the betta out of the 10, at least temporarily. So I moved the flame tetras and the peacock gudgeons* out of the 29 into the 75, and moved the betta from the 10 to the 29. The corys got to just chill.

* Well, 4 out of 5. I haven't been able to catch #5; she's quick, and doesn't fall for my trap! I'll try again tomorrow.

Then I gave the 29 a major haircut. I pulled out about half of the bacopa to give the rotala some more breathing room. I cut the wisteria waaaay back. I pulled out handfuls of java moss and cladophora. And, just for good measure, I trimmed a little off the top of the pellia. Gave the filter on that tank a good cleaning; among other things, I removed a sponge that clogs up super fast and added more little bio-ball thingies... cleaned out the inside of the spray bar as long as everything was stopped. I have water movement again :D

A few days before:

P2260046.jpg

Just now:

20170305_190030.jpg
Looks good. Betta will love all the room.

Looks good. Betta will love all the room.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think he will. This is the tank he was in when I first got him, but he got ornery with the tetras, so I set him up in the 10. It was ... okay, but not my favorite. This'll probably just be my betta tank from now on. I think I'm going to go with shrimp and fancy snails in the 10, once I get it settled. I feel like it's a bit small for fish.

Set up the Baby Biorb. 4gallon. Did some crazy under sand sponges to see if I can do this with sand instead of gravel. IMG_7732.jpg

Ramshorn snails and plant starts to keep things rolling. These were all in jars for the past few months with the sand to prepare. Got this tank for $25 used back in November and finally took a minute to set it up and buff the scratches.

Moving things around again

Got a little progress made today.

12G Edge - Removed Platys and plants, stones, DW and the substrate rinsed, rinsed tank

12G Mr Aqua - Moved all plants, stones and DW, rinsed and moved all the substrate over to the 12G Edge.

This is the substrate for shrimp Up Aqua Sand and it has been used by me previously for the Tangerine Tiger Shrimp.

Refilling the 12G Edge adding a bunch of the rocks and stones and DW to keep the light on and keep the substrate active and the biofilm growing.

So what did I do with the 12G MR Aqua???

I added the Hawaiian Aragonite Saltwater CaribSea sand with live bacteria. 2 Saltwater stones I used before and I had kept in the drawer waiting to set up the larger Nano.

Dug out a 30 AC filter, added a filter pad and also a pouch of ammonia buster from Fluval added to the container.

Then decided to add some Chaeto. BUT it was full of little Serpent/Brittle Stars and I ended up moving at least 8 of them to the MacroAlgae vase/tank.

Lookie here for the little guys!
60074-albums14535-picture70956.jpg

Last edited:
New nano pic it is now nice and clear
60074-albums14535-picture70965.jpg

I have this little guy in the 5G - Spec V Dwarf Mexican Crayfish 1 inch
60074-albums13946-picture70969.jpg

7 Sundadanio Axelrodi now in the 12G Edge with a few handfuls of plants and a DW and the Cholla with the Buce.

Oh yeah, and 3 Glass Catfish to go with the other 2 in the 72G after QT.

The Sundadanios are colored up nicely and are glowing. It seems there are a bunch of females and maybe 3 males. But maybe one is a green not a blue. Still very pretty.

Scrubbed the algae off of the front of the SW 6.6G and noticed that the fancy rock flower anemone moved about 6 inches to a less flow area, I reduced the flow to the rest of the tank.

Took care of the Vinegar Eels, divided the main culture into 3 and had one previous one which seemed to be not viable. But did not have a magnifying glass to look that closely.

Added fresh apple slices to all bottles and added new vinegar. I need to find a way to clean the bottle of old apple slices. Used all the Bragg's vinegar I had left, need a new bottle tomorrow.

Last edited:
Tiny shrimp tank

Image1489155984.400553.jpg

I'm thinking tiny daily water changes with water from the main tank[emoji848]

It holds the last two ghosts that I couldn't move out before, when I realized that they like to snack on fish-tails... the others reside in the goldfish tank, with plenty of cover. They occasionally pinch a too-curious monster lol

Getting ready for another water change...adding in so many harlequins at once damaged my balance and my nitrite spiked, costing me one harlequin yesterday

Betta could use more clean water too, and I may as well make a day of it and do the '38 while I have everything out

Betta's tail looks like it's recovering well from the shrimp snacking on it....I'll put him back into the big tank in another week or so. He currently spends his days alternating between menacing the heater and making nests.....not much to do alone in a ten g stuffed in a corner on a cat tower lol. Usually he's into all sorts of trouble in the 29:p

Edit: Ugh spikes all over the place:/

Don't know what's up but it's good that I decided to w/c today

I only cleaned house three days ago, but I had nitrates up to 20ppm(my normal is 5-10) in the Betta tank, and ammonia and nitrates in my main tank too. Didn't take the time to test goldfish.....they're goldfish...there will be ammonia lol. Better just to clean up and ask questions later [emoji6]
I'm happy to say that the shrimp are still glaring at me during water changes...how dare I move the rock he's hiding behind lol!

Moved the 15L Baby Biorb into my office from the garage. Added a few more plants. Ramshorn snails are doing just fine in there.

Took the yellowish Anubias out of my 29G. Potassium didn't seem to help and I really don't have a shady spot for it in there so back into the 30L Biorb.

Added another heater to the 30L Biorb to bring the temp up to 81+ hoping Red, my Betta will show some improvement.

Tomorrow is Nursery day....

I have 4 different kinds of Anubias and this is the only one with issues. IMG_7746.jpg
I do not know the exact species. Congensis I think.The leaves are narrowed and a little over 2"long.

It was in the biorb and I moved it into higher light. It might have been ok if it had started there?

Last edited:
Fed zucchini to the RCS and neon yellows. One of the latter is now berried!
lC4bpOC.jpg

Water changes this weekend.
Ordered 30# of black mountain seiryu stone. Will be here on Monday.

Fed zucchini to the RCS and neon yellows. One of the latter is now berried!
lC4bpOC.jpg

Water changes this weekend.
Ordered 30# of black mountain seiryu stone. Will be here on Monday.

Woohoo!!! It's fun watching them fan those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom