What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taking a day off today. Canister cleaning for the Khuli’s tank and the Nursery. I like to take care of them monthly. I have pretty easy access to them and usually replace the funkiest sponge and rinse the biomedia well.

Well! Today is the day I go to the wild side. Flipping my tank to real plants. This will take a few days, cause I'm still waiting on a few things. But the biggest part will be done today. I'm pretty excited after doing alot of research on most plants, picked out some I want. But, I might loss one. (Alternanthera reineckii) Bought it not realizing its a high light plant, the seller listed it as easy to care for. So, we'll see what I can do to keep it alive without Co2. OK! Game on! I'll update on here and my post of flipping my tank. Hope it all works out.

I'm sure you'll do just fine with your planted tank, Angel. For what it's worth, I kept a tank full of Java Fern, Java Moss and various Anubias for years, without the use of special lighting, fertilizers or Co2.
I purposely over stocked the tank a little, and only changed about 25% - 35% of the water once a week, in order to allow the fish to naturally fertilize the tank. Looking forward to your updates.

Well, here's the start! Changed out the gravel to eco complete did a 50-60% water change. She's pretty clear I was as careful as I could be to not stir up everything. Got a little cloudy but the water change kicked it. Once I get more of my plants and my fertilizers the castle will most likely be coming out. This tank will eventually be all plants, rocks, and driftwood. But this will work for now. IMAG3562.jpg the Java ferns I got are not in the greatest shape but, I'll be trimming all the tall ones for the new growth to get bigger. And getting some kinda floating plants to cover some of the light to them. Everything will be moved around as I get more but I don't wanta move my red. They don't like to be moved. I'll be trimming from that one and just adding them where ever they look good. We are now on the flip side. Lol!

Good luck on the Alternanthera reineckii - I could get slow growth out of it but it never seemed to like my tank. Did ok but GSA got to lower leaves eventually. Seemed to hang onto lower leaves for a long time (compared to hygro which seemed to drop lower leaves the moment it was unhappy with anything).

Good luck on the Alternanthera reineckii - I could get slow growth out of it but it never seemed to like my tank. Did ok but GSA got to lower leaves eventually. Seemed to hang onto lower leaves for a long time (compared to hygro which seemed to drop lower leaves the moment it was unhappy with anything).
Yeah, when I got it there was lots of algae on the bottom leaves. I trimmed off the bottom leaves that had it really bad. It's got nice roots though. And it's branching. Thanks for the luck I know I'll need it for that one.

This is a sampling of the cute little guys.
60074-albums14700-picture71766.jpg

The Neons in QT went into the 72G. I counted 23 this time As I netted and put them in the tank!!!

I also bought 30 more today feeling that since today is the shipment arrival date they might die. Added some Aquarium salt and Epsom salts to help them ease into the new environment. Thinking on doing a few feedings of live foods to help them get healthier, I did that with the last batch.

Will give them a feeding of dewormer flakes too in the evening and do a water change afterwards to keep the water as clean as possible for them.

They are in the heated bubbling 5G bucket for the overnight test. Might add a couple strips of bulk filter pad too as it is seeded with carbon bits and also gives some sense of security to hide in it.

Fingers crossed that the New batch of Neons will do alright.

More PRL Shrimp - a nice adult and a couple of good looking little fry.

60074-albums14700-picture71765.jpg

Adult and little and medium babies
60074-albums14700-picture71760.jpg

Last edited:
Got laid off today after 17 years. Thank goodness my fish are so supportive and understanding.

Neon report here... from the 30 6 have died. The rest seem to look better than yesterday and better than the night before!

Will be heading out tomorrow for a couple on off valves for my 90G tank's overflow. Whether or not I go with a sump, I need those if nothing else, to plug the hoses.

Buying about 17 pounds of SW rock tomorrow, new, unused in a tank, from someones excess from CL - 14 LBS. Plus a rather large table rock. That will be 2 table rocks I will have. Wondering if I will get a special tank yet, or end up just using something I already have.

Think I will PROBABLY use the 90G as a FW tank, I would like to get it up and running if so to make sure it is stable before adding a bunch of Angels. I would like to have my 100 Neons in the 72G with the black background to really show them off. Move over a bunch of DW and some plants to get a nice broad open space.

Maybe a big shoal of Cories in the 90G bowfront tank. Angels DW and leaf litter.

Maybe the 72G will keep Neons with a bunch of striped Kuhlis, and the small bullied Angel. Not a chance the small Angel would be eating Neons. The large Angels are really getting BIG!

Still having a hard time making up my mind...about 7 months of that 90G sitting in the garage! ugh!

Went to CAS club meeting and came home with 3 young SAE for $5, SW a fighting conch, and 2 - 3" around monster sized Mexican Turbo snails. Literally fill the palm of the hand. All 3 for another $5.

Plus I sold 6 bags of excess plants and gave away a gallon bag of Wisteria to friend with the finance's turtle. Gave them some turtle Repashy and got the killer Angelfish back to find a new home for at the club. I just didn't have a place for her.

Acclimated both and put the snails in the Chaetomorpha pod tank. Did a 70% pwc on it for the general well being of the snails. Since they are huge they should eat the algae from the 24 hour light's pretty fast! Pressure is on to up size the SW now because of 2 snails, lol.

After arriving back home at about 11 pm - was informed that to accomplish a new electric line to the back yerd the electrician needs me to move my 72G tank at least 3 feet away from the wall. A bulk head arch is above where the wire will be routed.

Sounds like a good time to consider hauling in the 90G to see how it looks.

Also yesterday on the way to the meeting stopped at a nice Reef store and bought new pods and phytoplankton. I guess Friday is bogo for that.

Priced some all in one tanks and for the cost, wasn't sure why one was nearly $600 32G innovative marine and the other $400 28G coral if biocube. Not my budget really, I rather get a like new one used for $100-150. Oddly the fish guys could tell me the differences as they are not always stocked there. The IM tank was brand new that day to them.

Big water change for the 72G so I can move it. Maybe the QT also. Didn't lose any more Neons yesterday and has added some additional Epsom salts to the tank the night before. So hoping I can keep the rest alive.

Oh and picked up my CL box of SW rocks and bag of sw sand. Rocks a bit smaller than I envisioned. But will be fine for a rubble pile for pods to grow.

You know - not busy, just don't have anything going on here in tankland! :lol:

Omg you have snails! New snails! need some pics!!!

They are SW snails. Hoping they will stay alive. They came from the Club President. He had a bucket of Live rock, a bucket with some Live rock with Palythoa colony (no thank you Paly toxin poisoning - that's what I say, lol) and the snail trio. Out bid for the LR bucket - darn.

Novella part 2
anyway...

LONG day in Tankland.

So much stuff moving around today. Moved the 72G out 5' away as to avoid people and drills and drywall dust flying into it. Unplugged everything and got it back into order again.

Had to drain it down to 7-8 inches of water remove the heavy FX-5 so it could "slide" over, thank you engineered pretend wood floor.

And 2 chairs and the couch and the tables and toys and tables and 5G water bottles and the 46G tank and move over the 29G stand and SW macroalgae tank in the 2 level stand. And unplug all of those things and untangle /wrestle all the mixed up wires on 2 strip plugs for 2 outlets, and put away all the foods and supplies still in the cabinet of the 46G into a tote.

Spilled about a gallon of water out of the FX-5 when I forgot to turn the valve to the off position, but hey, there's a nice clean spot. Already had towels ready - but they were in the other room still - oopsy.

Clean all around in the back the walls and floor and sides of tanks I never see. Much...

Had some assistance and got the 90G tank out of the garage next to the door. Totally forgot the overflow has extended pipes which are a few inches below the cabinet so I couldn't do the leak test sitting flat on the cement with towels and a blanket, then put the tank onto the stand, vacuumed out all the 1/4 inch of loose SW sand which was white.

Before I could think about it someone was being helpful and started filling the tank which I caught and stopped maybe .5" - just before it started to overflow through those pipes into the cabinet!!! No on / off ball valves, just open 5/8ths ID tubes. I had tried 3 SW lfs previously to get some, but no one had them.

Tried the 2 big box hardware stores and got a big nothin! Will try Ace, and on last hope a hardware/supply store in Boulder which has everything.

The electrician came a couple hours later than I had expected, was only told after noon. So the plants started to dry out exposed without water so i strayed them but decided to put wet paper towels over every thing exposed.

Was nearly out of the tiny bottle of Prime, and needed more so went to the lfs big box store and they had Bamboo/Flower shrimp!!! Expensive little buggers, at 11.99 each but I got 2 decent looking ones. 30 day guarantee - if I could even find the body, yeah right. Used my secret santa gift card I got from work exchange. Thank you Secret Santa!

Got back home and after getting a bunch of things cooked for dinner and situated, started moving everything back into place, their new places.

The old AC 110 stopped working and had to clean it out and bump the impeller a few times before it kept going. It is getting rattley, and the housing is cracked in several places too and it is likely going to just need to be replaced very soon.

Bamboo shrimp look a bit like they have some ammonia burns on their feeders, hoping they heal quickly.

omgg there was so much stuff to move, exhausted.

Took a couple pics but will need to load them. Later :blink:

Thank you for listening /reading ;)

Last edited:
Neons seem good and the Bamboo shrimp in the 72G are still alive and filter feeding like troopers!

Going shopping to look at tanks tomorrow and to a few stores (2 I haven't ever been to, and hoping to a store was only at one time)!

Neons seem good and the Bamboo shrimp in the 72G are still alive and filter feeding like troopers!

Going shopping to look at tanks tomorrow and to a few stores (2 I haven't ever been to, and hoping to a store was only at one time)!

Hey wait a minute! I thought you were reducing your tank count?

Good news on your new additions.

Back
Top Bottom