What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And the corner - still cloudy
60074-albums14728-picture71795.jpg

Sneak peak for the pics before the build thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60074-albums14728.html

IMG_1515.jpg

90% water change and trimmed off dead leaves. One recently deceased baby cory found (RIP little guy). Rehomed my angelfish and traded them in at LFS for some plants. Will probably move those to the new tank I’m planning once it’s up and running. Most of the issues I had a few months ago have been resolved and the plants and fish are happy and healthy.

Periodic WC

I did a 30% WC. Nitrates where at 30ish. Everything else zero. Cleaned the sump filter foam. That’s about it. Pretty low maintenance. Then, I watched my ground crew for awhile. Love this Pleco.

Attachments

• 5C0C44F0-936E-4688-81B1-7548DB76CFA6.jpg
    5C0C44F0-936E-4688-81B1-7548DB76CFA6.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 5B1DED97-9806-4661-9FB6-CD418F6F4657.jpg
    5B1DED97-9806-4661-9FB6-CD418F6F4657.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 37
  • EDF8CEF5-2A13-4B4D-820E-E63A00F48373.jpg
    EDF8CEF5-2A13-4B4D-820E-E63A00F48373.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 35
I did a 30% WC. Nitrates where at 30ish. Everything else zero. Cleaned the sump filter foam. That’s about it. Pretty low maintenance. Then, I watched my ground crew for awhile. Love this Pleco.

Very attractive Pleco.

~~~~~~~~~`

Never a dull moment.

Something seemed off in my SW nano MacroAlgae tank checked and the snails looked near dead. And found my heater seems to be stuck at 94F which is enough to cook the live critters, and I can see how the snails looked bad hanging out the shell as they were hot. Both retracted into their shell when moving to the bucket to get them out of the jacuzzi bath, so they were still alive at least. The Other snail was moving around and positive at least he is alive, looked like one Bristleworm was dead, though can hardly believe that, maybe just over heated.

Didn't catch the exact temp for the water right at the time the emergency switch over was going on but it seemed north of 85F.

Trying to fix that and hoping the awesome Mexican Turbo snails can adjust and will make it.

Contemplated adding a 2nd PRL tank and trying to separate some of the better quality ones to get a higher grade for selling. Still thinking about the options there.

Concerned about the success of breeding being too much for the size tank.

Need to review the situation and consult with some experts. Observed a handful of very near term berried females so with even more shrimp soon, I do not want to need to feed too much and frankly just not sure, wanting to err on the side of caution as these guys are my favorites and really don't want to see anything happen to them. Have had about 125 Cherry shrimp doing well in a less better managed 6.6G edge and all seemed fine, years back.

Got all the small pwc completed except the 72G and the 46G.

Took a few pics of the remaining Carbon Rilli shrimp. There are at least 3 left but I think I have seen 4. One has golden eyes, not black. I am wondering why and if it might be an OEBT. Will post a question of it maybe tonight or tomorrow.

The Giant Mexican Turbo snails seem doomed, at least one most certainly, as the Brislteworm clean up crew was closing in on the shell yesterday.

The other snail may have moved a couple inches but seemingly isn't active so I fear the worst. Maybe, just maybe, it is recuperating, and will slowly come out and roam once again.

I fiddled with the heater that next day after failure and nothing worked. I left it to cool off totally, then the day after tried it again and it turned on and was set at 82F where it was before. I now am wondering if it is reset. Could never trust it again but might just try it out to see how it runs.

On a nice note I finally got the last couple piles of things sorted out and organized into containers, baskets and boxes, it was great! For sure I reduced the quantity by 50% maybe 65% and now it is where it should be and I could find it if I needed to. A nice change. Maybe would like to get matching baskets to make it look even better in the utility closet, lol. And would like to label them too to make it easier to keep it that way.

Also need a giant hook to hang up the Python/Aqueon hoses. Feeling better about the project now that it is finished! Took a long time. But it was sooo much stuff.

Friday I should find out how much stuff sold at the auction and how much got donated! At least it is GONE!!!

Also it might take a few weeks, maybe to the end of April to do a nano tank stuff give away. I got some water conditioner for a good deal at the auction and it looks like a great thing for a new tank set up. Since I have a bunch of stuff still, some might need to find a new home. Will keep you all posted on the possibilities.

Starting up a planted 55g all betta tank today. Now just gotta get my plants growing. Waiting for my offsprings from my swords in the 75g to get a little bigger so I can cut them and get them in the 55g. It's a waiting game. But, we'll get there.

Worked on the 6.6G SW today. Stole a Turbo Snail from the 12G to help with the algae.

I am using a bright light in that tank, and somehow I think there is Cyano.

The tank gets near weekly pwc, but I had intermittently been using treated tap water for pwc. Not always RO. OOPS. Flow had been reduced due to a large glob of Chaetomorpha and the sponge on the filter was getting plugged up.

So several problems.

Over the last couple days one of my Rock Flower Anemone moved next to on that has been in the same spot since I got it but when the recently moved one opened up it covered the original one. Well it went on a very long walk to the other side of the tank up the side towards the top and then creeping towards the center again.

Moved a few corals around to get better flow for them.

Cleaned the intake pre-filter sponge and switched it with a new one, removed some gunky Chaeto. scrubbed 3 small patches of algae one the glass and a little around the intake tube and then bumped something and a giant weird 1/2 inch layer of spongy muck fell off the rock. EEEW Do not know what that was.

Planning to reduce the feeding amounts and need to get a new larger SW tank set up asap!!! Promise to use RO all the time.

The mini tank LED just will not stay on - keeps shutting off, so I am hoping to return it for an exchange or credit. I have no receipt but have the box.

since I've been i'll and also a full time babysitter , I got a big surprise yay I got a 5 day vacation yup no mother in law , So I figured I'd treat myself to several large zoa colony rocks each 8 to 10 inches . waiting on them now, I shall get some pictures ,

My goal is to split them up in 2 or 3 pieces each to spread the wealth , hopefully the rocks aren't to large to split , If I don't think I can split them without shattering them
into a million tiny pieces than I'll leave them be and place them in the sand ,

they came not as big as described so I split them up all except the biggest that I rested up against a rock sitting in sand .waiting for everything to open up so can get picts

they came not as big as described so I split them up all except the biggest that I rested up against a rock sitting in sand .waiting for everything to open up so can get picts

Darn they didn't come out quite as expected.

Yay! You got some time to do some fun stuff and a break from babysitting.

Well, I have had a les than ideal few days.

Confirmed dead 2 SW Mexican Turbo snails from heater over cooking.

Then Light problem with it keeping shutting off on the wine glass causing a couple plants to not be very happy with the amount of light they are getting..

Then the Betta was found dead. Last night.

And tonight 2 dead Carbon Rilli shrimp in the smaller planted vase I think there was too much shrimp snow in there. So big clean up and turkey baster cleaned up the left overs AND the substrate and did 3 - 70% pwc by the time the cleaning was finished. Looks sparkly clean now.

Removed the heater though the temp was about 77F, decided the last couple can tough it. Room temp is about 70F, sometimes maybe 68F, within the temp range of 65F-85F.

AND the fish in the planted wine glass have come down with ICH. Added a good sized heater to ramp up the temp. Doing a 2G pwc as well.

Doing a 1G pwc on the PRL tank as a precaution.

Earlier this morning topped off everything FW & SW, with RO water.

That has been my fun few days.

Caught 2 Specimens, a M and a F (heavily berried) Pure Red Line Shrimp to enter in the bowl show in the inverts category but they had mis-typed the categories so all the open show entries AND the inverts had to be shown together.

I got a 3rd place ribbon, but the totals were added incorrectly and really in points I made it as 2nd place, lost out to a very nice Red orange male Crayfish.

So also scooped out about a dozen PRL shrimp little ones just whatever I could scoop, and sold them. Only sold for 14 and 16 I think. A big disappointment, they kept calling them Cherry Shrimp, one lady knew about them from talking with me from last auction and paid the higher price.

It was a buyer advantage this week, not a good sale night at all for sellers.

Also got a pair of young High Red Odessa barbs for $10 from Greg Sage the breeder, who was the speaker for the evening and owner of Select Aquatics. Also raises the nice Green Dragons Plecos.

3 Short fin Lemon Drop Plecos for $3.00. About a solid inch long, not including the tail.

And a Green Flower Pot Goniopora Coral frag, my red one is doing alright so bought it for $5 or 6.

And a Amiracle sump for $19, $20 or $21 don't really remember which number bought it.

When arriving home found the 1st of the 3 preggo Green Lightning Endlers has had or looks to be presently having babies. Saw maybe 8 little bitty ones. Fed 2 kinds of baby foods.

The people I showed the pic of the Wine glass to liked it. Haha, what else would they say?!

It took 2 days to rid 3 tanks of duckweed. Those who have been plagued by this nuisance might appreciate this. Had to remove the frogbit and rinse each plant. Since i did not do a complete breakdown I am sure it will come back. But at least it will be in small numbers that will be easy to deal with.

It took 2 days to rid 3 tanks of duckweed. Those who have been plagued by this nuisance might appreciate this. Had to remove the frogbit and rinse each plant. Since i did not do a complete breakdown I am sure it will come back. But at least it will be in small numbers that will be easy to deal with.

Ah the dream of a Duckweed free life. :flowers:

Broken laptop has me side tracked from posting much.

There was a problem with the Sundadanios and they just disappeared from the tank. They looked better from the Ich but when I had the issue with the low pH, I figured I would add a little more of the magnesium and calcium liquid for their tank too and then raised the temp one more degree but it hit 90F the next day and they were gone. I has raised the O2 bubbler to high.

So I guess the combo of heat and change in parameters recovering from Ich knocked them out.

There is one Pygmy Cory which accidently got in there when i stocked it and it is looking for its friends. Will move it in a little bit back to his 5 friends.

PRL tank was a bit cloudy probably from all the Bacter AE minerals trapped in the moss and moving the Moss around catching the shrimp last week. I ordered another Purigen. Added it.

Also ordered Furan 2 because I can't get it at anyour stores around here. It was going to be for the Serpaes but it seems they are healed. One of the 2 still looks a little shy and hides doesn't hang with the other 6. Will see if she makes it.

Still looking for the right SW tank deal.

Need to do the rounds of maintenance this weekend.

Exciting thing is I saw the Blue Coral Banded shrimp by seeing his arm grabbing out of a hide hole for a bit of food. I was sad thinking he was gone since I hadn't seen him since he went in a couple months ago. Almost got the pic but he saw me getting close and went back in.

Thinking of just using the 46G bow front even though it isn't what I really want. Just to get the tanks some space. Coral and macroalgae's crowded. Though most pieces are small there are a few are growing well and need room to develop.

So pretty much same as usual ;)

My 5.5G tank is looking good after much work. I am currently in the process of changing the plant stocking of the tank itself, replacing the Dwarf Sagittaria with Staurogyne Repens and using trimmed Green Cabomba as a background. The small cluster of guppy fry I have been growing are currently enjoy living the life in the 5.5G, alongside a tiny school of Cardinals that were added in earlier this week. Did a 25% w/c today when I checked parameters and noticed the nitrates were getting a little high for my tastes.

Beyond that, I am currently fussing over the Amano Shrimp that I just got. I'm not used to having shrimp and am still adapting to having something like them in the tank. Sometimes they are so active that I can see all three of them and other times they just somehow vanish without a trace. The fact that one of them molted literally the night they got home and decided to play hide and go seek on me the morning after gave me a mini panic attack. I'd swear that they are either clowns or ninjas but I can't decide which one they are.

I had a coupon for a 5.00 off and got 3 pretty Guppy males - 2 cream, red and yellow Cobra, and one red Mosaic looking one. Put them in the wine glass. We'll see how they do.

Back
Top Bottom